SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #3,556 of 8,639
Do you guys know if the Tidal app or the 507 is Dolby Atmos for headphones compatible?

there are some Android devices that support it

dims.jpeg

95666465_10222889948904427_4969159758540963840_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,558 of 8,639
While I can understand someone wanting some type of surround processing for movies, tv shows or maybe even games, why on the 507 and why for music??? Sorry but it doesn't even begin to make sense to me.

Well, it doesn't have to make sense to anybody, its a new feature from TIDAL and DOLBY, some people use it, some don't, I don't think having this feature hurts at all, you can try it, if you don't like it you don't use it, that simple.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #3,559 of 8,639
in the Tidal app, under Settings, under Quality, there is an option for 360 Reality Audio. when you select that, you will see the words Optimized Device and the words "no device" beneath it. does this mean that the 507 is currently not a supported device for 360 Reality Audio?

i'm hoping that upcoming firmware updates will include an option for bit-perfect streaming, Dolby Atmos and 360 Reality Audio :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #3,560 of 8,639
While I can understand someone wanting some type of surround processing for movies, tv shows or maybe even games, why on the 507 and why for music??? Sorry but it doesn't even begin to make sense to me.
Maybe it makes sense for younger audiophiles that are use to play video games with surround sound headphones. I don't play my PS4 that often, but when I do, I use my cheap Turtle Beach surround headphones and it does make a difference.

Maybe surround sound music is the future of HiRes Audio...maybe not.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #3,561 of 8,639
in the Tidal app, under Settings, under Quality, there is an option for 360 Reality Audio. when you select that, you will see the words Optimized Device and the words "no device" beneath it. does this mean that the 507 is currently not a supported device for 360 Reality Audio?
There is a Sony Headphones Connect app which is used to set compatible Sony headphones. Tidal works with this optimization.
360 Reality Audio works with all headphones, however only certain Sony headphones are optimized through ear analysis found in that Connect app.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #3,562 of 8,639

Because if you think about it music recording hasn't actually developed much after we've settled on using just one bog standard stereo microphone.
However there's a not-insignificant difference between the sound of a studio recording and the sound that is produced at a live concert which is mixed with multiple mics placed at different locations, as well as the difference between two stereo transducer that a consumer uses verses multiple speaker setups in a concert. The reverb and the sound acoustics can completely transform a song and some people actually want to experience their song in a live concert like setting where it sounds vastly more expanding compared to the extremely intimate and controlled version of studio recording. Having something like these surround sound effects/recording/mixing methods, in theory, should expand what audio can be capable of. In fact I would say something like these types of technology is VASTLY more interesting than hi-res audio.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,563 of 8,639
I'm well aware of the existance of surround recordings for music, I have a 5.1 home theather at home and I do have 2 or 3 Blu-rays for live performances and I even seen some atmos recording and replay tests but in the context of the ZX507 and often IEMs or stereo headphones, I don't get it and don't care really. Would someone have to get some often gimmicky "surround" sound heaphones on compatible devices to try to get any sense of what a proper surround sound setup sounds like? I'd rather have Sony invest time in anything else really than give me the "ability" to get any sort of "surround" anything...

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,564 of 8,639
I'm well aware of the existance of surround recordings for music, I have a 5.1 home theather at home and I do have 2 or 3 Blu-rays for live performances and I even seen some atmos recording and replay tests but in the context of the ZX507 and often IEMs or stereo headphones, I don't get it and don't care really. Would someone have to get some often gimmicky "surround" sound heaphones on compatible devices to try to get any sense of what a proper surround sound setup sounds like? I'd rather have Sony invest time in anything else really than give me the "ability" to get any sort of "surround" anything...

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish in this discussion. You manage to includes almost all of the trollsy words in 2 posts and confuse me with you contradictory mix of opinions and "stating facts" out of nowhere.

What do we need to understand out of your recent comments?

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,565 of 8,639
From what I have heard on my Sony Xperia 1 Dolby Atmos mobile, it's about the same effect as switching on Dynamic Normalizer on the ZX507 sound adjustment.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #3,566 of 8,639

There are some 3D Audio albums On Amazon Music HD Like - Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,567 of 8,639
its just another way to experience music, is not here to substitute or to be compared with current sound modes or personal taste.

please, lets not make this a useless discussion, It was a simple question whether the 507 supports it or not.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #3,568 of 8,639
Wow! Just finished reading the last 20 or so pages. My eyes are bleeding!

Just wanted to say I have upgraded my firmware. Also upgraded my Amazon Music to HD.

Been listening all afternoon (whilst reading this thread) to Amazon Music HD on my stock Sony IER-Z1R's and I honestly couldn't be happier.

I've come from a high-end hi-fi system and love the fact I don't battle with room effects anymore. I can literally sit anywhere including on the bog with the same brilliant sound!

Well done Sony for an amazing streaming audio experience for circa £2700.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #3,569 of 8,639
What's your player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back