SONY NW-ZX500
May 28, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,436 of 8,642
I don’t get this. Playlists in what part of the 507. In Sony’s player?
Sony Music Center is only for PC. You have to use Android File Transfer on MAC and it does not let you create playlists. I have not had any luck with other Applications such as Clementine, VOX music player , VLC media player or Audirvana. You can create playlists within the app and transfer it to the player via Android transfer file and it will recognize it however, the music paths would be from the computer and not the player, making the play list unusable. The issue (I believe) is that none of the the Apps see the 507 as a device.

Now that you can re-name the bookmarks (and create new ones) , is possible create playlists/bookmarks but within the the Sony Player app. Before this update you were stuck with Bookmarks 1 through 10 and no re-naming, which to me was almost useless. You had to remember what was the purpose for each bookmark. For example, before Bookmark 9 was my "Playlist" for my relaxing music and Bookmark 1 for working out. After the update I named them sleep and workout respectively. IMO the only thing Sony player app is missing now is a search bar/icon within the app. It does have a search bar

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3,437 of 8,642
May 28, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #3,438 of 8,642
In the WM1A/WM1Z thread, there are quite a few users have reported that the same version of firmware of different country/region has a different sound tuning.

Yes... but following this thread confirms I made the right decision to buy a WM1A instead of the newer 507 player.

May 28, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #3,440 of 8,642
I haven’t been the biggest fan of DSEE HX for a long time, but I must say that it sounds great with podcasts on TuneIn using highest quality setting (which I think is 320kbps mp3) and the new hi-res streaming option switched on.
709E3E48-9A1C-4833-A39A-D1D9B6F63481.jpeg

May 28, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #3,442 of 8,642
Interesting, when playing an MQA track on tidal with Hi-Res streaming turned on, DSEEHX has no effect when turned on or off! Switch to a non MQA track and you can here it intiating.

Seems like Sony may have implemented a bypass for MQA tracks!!!

May 28, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,443 of 8,642
I had a look at the file and it looks like there is audio up to 96kHz there. It was very faint at that range and I couldn't get a good screenshot of it, however I marked it with a box. (Sampled at 196kHz Nyquist from the 3.5mm port)
However - the screen shot below shows strong audio up to 85kHz (ish). I marked one up for you. If it was playing back as you say at 88.2kHz, the highest frequency I would be able to find would be 44.1kHz. So I think the walkman is doing what its meant to with it;
Hi again, thanks! I will find out why Android system reported it's outputting at 88.2KHz

May 28, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #3,444 of 8,642
Pretty sure there are 3 users here that have heard changes in sound in the new firmware.
I dont have another ZX507 to perform any A/B test. Based on 'memory' all my test tracks sounds the same on Sony WM Player.
I dont like YT Music previously, but somehow it seems more enjoyable with the new firmware up-conversion. May be placebo effect.

May 29, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,446 of 8,642
The Sony app sounds the same post update to me (a good thing!), going to try Tidal now!

May 29, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #3,449 of 8,642
32bit 192khz + dseehx seems pointless doesnt it? The walkman is already upscaling everything to 32 192, what is the dssehx doing then?

It's predictive EQ under the hood. So probably it does affect sound, and ostensibly some people may like it.

As for me... all I want is a device that reproduces the damn waveform encoded in my files as it exists as accurately as possible.

In that sense I picked wrong. But the form factor and build quality is nice.

May 29, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #3,450 of 8,642
I had a look at the file and it looks like there is audio up to 96kHz there. It was very faint at that range and I couldn't get a good screenshot of it, however I marked it with a box. (Sampled at 196kHz Nyquist from the 3.5mm port)

However - the screen shot below shows strong audio up to 85kHz (ish). I marked one up for you. If it was playing back as you say at 88.2kHz, the highest frequency I would be able to find would be 44.1kHz. So I think the walkman is doing what its meant to with it;
Hi, thanks for the spectrograms. If you have UAPP + MQA paid, can you record the same MQA output from the Sony's headphone jack? This will help to confirm the MQA playback behavior. UAPP+MQA license can only decode (aka first unfold). If the resulting spectrograms are the same, this means what you observed above 44KHz audio is simply noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back