SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #2,581 of 8,639
No, It’s screen taps only to control Play, FF, REW, next track, last track - only the volume up down buttons works.

I use AM exclusively and am OK with this.(is the same on my HiBy too)
Thanks @Pro-Jules This is the same as I get on my R6 Pro. I have a ZX507 on order and was wondering if it was the same. It must be the way Amazon implemented AM.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,584 of 8,639
I have just tried it with my zx507 and Amazon Music HD.

Screen On:
The buttons Next and Previous work.
The button Pause/Play doesn't.

Screen Off:
The button Pause/Play works.

And other streaming services?

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #2,586 of 8,639
But it did unfold he's other mqa files...

Maybe the file name path isnt mqa at end?

Like .flac / .wav / .mp3 ?

There has to be a mismatch of something the dap is being picky?

-- Summary --

Thank you for the replies. You were right, its just the DAP being picky (but kind of in a good way) about the tags. Its not the naming convention, its the metadata within the file.

I'm putting this all up here in case someone with the same issue comes across this.

After some digging it appears there is either an error in the tagging of this MQA album or its being miss-sold and the MQA process that prevents shops from altering a file to 'up-sample to sell' is working.

In this instance I believe that the file has been miss tagged by accident and I've contacted the online store I've purchased it from to see if I can get this resolved. I'll update if they respond.

-- Detail --

So it appears that Sony Walkmans MQA system is very reliant on the Tagging of a file, MQA files have a tag stating what its original sample rate is. This and other data is protected in the file from any tampering (probably by a hash key, but I'm not entirely sure) which is one of the 'selling' points of MQA over FLAC. Other MQA players (my friend has a few and he has tested the album on it) initially play the file as FLAC and then detect its a MQA and the DAC switches to 96kHz sampling playback, but DACs don't read the tags (from what I understand), but DAPs need to which enables the album/artist view etc.
ymQhyln.png

While it might seem straight forward changing this to 96kHz, this completely removes the MQA. The file detects its been tampered with and is no longer recognised as an MQA; its lost its Authentication.

I did change the original sample rate tag and my walkman as well as Audivarna no longer recognised the file as an MQA, just a regular FLAC file. Fortunately I tested it on a copy vs my original download.

My other MQA files all have the correct tag for 'Original Sample Rate' and are therefore unpacked correctly by the Walkman.
vkXsbkn.png

Sony might be able to patch this reliance on metadata tags, but its not really their fault. The file should have been tagged correctly. Or, as I said before hand, this album is being miss-sold.

Also as promised, here is the spectrum-analysis read out of the MQA files;
N.B. this is recorded on a Focurite 8i6 ports 1+2 via a cable from the walkmans 3.5mm headphone port. Min/Max amps altered just to make it visually obvious at glance.

f2svlb8.png

There is quite a clear cut off at 20kHz on the Pink Floyds album vs the Mozart one that goes up to 88kHz (and probably above, I was sampling at 196kHz 32bit).

So: The walkman is correctly reading the Pink Floyd as an MQA, but only at 44.1kHz. So I'm still getting the other benefits of MQA, Higher transient response, A to D and D to A profiling and lower digital distortion etc etc... Just not the high frequency spectrum.

If I hear back from the store I bought the Pink Floyd album from, or find anything changes, I will post an update.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,589 of 8,639

Screen On:

Screen Off:

Not for me - playing Amazon Musoc HD - screen is off (auto off after 15 seconds) but right now I am broadcasting over chrome-cast audio (WiFi) Will try it later with Bluetooth and finally, wired headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #2,591 of 8,639
Did I miss the memo on usb c digital output?

does the Sony 507 do it?

or not?

whoops! OK did some research here - I guess not!!! Oh well....

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,592 of 8,639

Screen On:

Screen Off:

OK yes!

Amazon Music HD

Wired - I experience the above behaviour also

Bluetooth - only volume works - it’s screen taps only for everything else. Plus none of the extra sound processes function.

Chromecast Audio - no buttons work. Not even volume. Plus none of the extra sound processes function.

Better than I thought it was going to be.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,593 of 8,639
OK yes!

Amazon Music HD

Wired - I experience the above behaviour also

Bluetooth - only volume works - it’s screen taps only for everything else. Plus none of the extra sound processes function.

Chromecast Audio - no buttons work. Not even volume. Plus none of the extra sound processes function.

Better than I thought it was going to be.
@Pro-Jules for bluetooth are you using wireless headphones or streaming to paired speakers similar to what Chromecast Audio does over wifi?

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,594 of 8,639
@Pro-Jules for bluetooth are you using wireless headphones or streaming to paired speakers similar to what Chromecast Audio does over wifi?

Plussound PSV3 Bluetooth wireless cable for 2 pin iem (LDAC codec)

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,595 of 8,639
Two posts in quick Sucession, but thought people would like to know this as it seems to stump a lot of Walkman owners.

If you wish to have album art with a .wav file, place a .jpg file named exactly the same as the Album name, in the same folder.

Examples:

OMrwEry.png
TJgjfHk.png

l2rVDC9.png
H3o4IkS.png

This technique also applies to other formats as well.

Thanks I have the exact same problem and did found out about this in 1z thread.

But I see your wav files have artist info and track name.
Mine shows both unknown and I know its embedded in the file but zx507 dont show it :cry:

Any suggestions? I got 2500 songs with this issue. Need a solution to fix it globally at once

Users who are viewing this thread

Back