SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,536 of 8,642
Cool my Bluetooth headphones unlock it.
Found the LDAC settings - set them to best quality.
sounding great wireless.
only about 40 of my favourite artists albums to download. Should be done by the time I wake up.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2,537 of 8,642
Hey folks am I the only one with problem. I cant create or add new playlists...
Its there but grey and also if I click the 3 dots it only offers me to add to a bookmark but no add to playlists option.

Why? Is that a bug?

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,539 of 8,642
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,540 of 8,642
Apr 6, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #2,541 of 8,642
System update!
V 1.21
downloading now.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,544 of 8,642
Ha!

Well its just popped up for me! Sorry for the false alarm!

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,545 of 8,642
Hello all. First time posting on here. Good news about Tidal and MQA.

However I have a question about MQA files on the Walkman I was hoping someone could answear, as well as a suggestion to anyone who can contact Sony about this.

-- Background --

I bought some MQA files as I like the concept of having a guaranteed file of the quality expected. This is because I have bought 'upscaled CDs' FLAC files in the past and it took a lot of arguing/proof to get a refund.

I bought a Pink Floyd collection album in MQA and it displays in the walkman as shown:

fkAqouF.png

As visible; this indicates an MQA file at 44.1kHz.

However; other MQA files show as HD with an 'unfloded' sample rate as exampled below:
NFjPpTL.png

-- Issue --

So I have no idea if the Pink Floyd album is being 'unfolded' correctly or if I've been sold a tampered MQA/ripped from a CD.

It sounds far better through my two MQA capable walkmans (A45 & NW-ZX507) than anythning else so I belive that the MQA process (impulse response, digital distorshion reduction etc etc...) is being done correctly, just that the Master was only done at 44.1Hz.

Whilst it is perfectly possible to have an MQA at 44.1kHz, one of the features a lot of MQA DACs come with is a green light that shows you the file is verified with no tampering done between the studio and your device.

-- Advice --

Do you think that the Pink Floyd album MQA is just that - an MQA at 44.1kHz? I bought it off HighResAudio.com who have a solid reputation, and all FLACs I've bought from them have been as advertised.

How can I tell on my Walkman if it has been tampered with/is there anyway of telling if this MQA file has been tampered with using the Walkman?

-- Request to Sony --
(There seem to be a number of people in this forum discussion who are 'in contact with Sony'.)

Would it be possible to have a form of indication with MQA files playing on the Walkmans that does the equivilent of a 'Green Light' like the standalone DACs?
I've done a (very poor) concept of what it could look like below, by just adding a Green indicatior, similar to the standalone DACs:
id8wBlI.png

Hope this isn't too long a post. But with MQA coming to the Walkman via Tidal and MQA being on peoples minds, it seemed a good time to ask these questions.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,546 of 8,642
WARNING - LDAC Bluetooth nerd out

Bluetooth - developer mode setting tweaks

I have found...

developer mode settings - Disable absolute volume - useful to have on - as it allows smaller volume steps for my bluetooth set up..

But trying to set -

developer mode settings - Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality to the "optimized for Audio Quality 990kbps"

Doesn't stick - after performing a restart (to save / apply settings) it always defaults to "Best Effort" Adaptive bit rate.

I suppose I have to trust that my bluetooth headphones on my head always being pretty close to the player will generate the highest rate transfer...?

On another DAP I was sure I was able to force it to only work at the higher 990kbps setting and would find the sound would cut out if the player was further than arms reach - or in a lower pocket (like cargo pants)

Anyone know how I can force the 507 to only work @ 990kbps ?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,547 of 8,642
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,549 of 8,642
Best screen settings?

Suggestions please I swear I have the screen on all the time - (Playing Amazon Music HD) but i dont care if it goes dark after a few seconds once I am playing stuff.

How do I set that up please?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,550 of 8,642
Hi, may ask what are the sound differences in sound in the updates? Im currently using 1.0. which one sounds the best?

No audio tweaks mentioned in this 1.21 update (as far as I know).. just system / performance stuff I think..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back