SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,471 of 8,639
I felt that the differences between Z7M2 and 1AM2 on Z507 balanced is almost nearing hair spliting.

If you play a track on both headphones, you have to listen to the fine print to understand the differences. It's not like you wear one of the two headphone and you can pick out the one that you prefer immediately. Both sound similar overall but one headphone does soundstage better but the other sounds more crisp.

I think for zx507 owners, I would recommend buying the A1M2 as it has better overall synergy and price to performance ratio over the Z7M2.

What I conclude is that ZX507 when paired to any modern Sony IER/XBA/MDR phones all share a common trait, and that is they all perform really well across a broad range of music genres. You feel that bass, mids, highs, vocals all feel just well balance without emphasis on one band or deemphasis on another.
The 1AM2 is one baddass headphone one of my favourites its got a slight brightness to the sound but is detailed with a nice bass i love it

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,472 of 8,639
@sander93

I believe you will be very happy with the combination of the 1AM2 and ZX507 balanced. First thing that you notice is the intimacy of the singer's vocals. If you are seeking to listen to the soul of the singer I believe you have found the perfect match. You can hear the throat of the male singer and as well the lushness in vocals of the female singer. It is really something badass in my books.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,473 of 8,639
@sander93

I believe you will be very happy with the combination of the 1AM2 and ZX507 balanced. First thing that you notice is the intimacy of the singer's vocals. If you are seeking to listen to the soul of the singer I believe you have found the perfect match. You can hear the throat of the male singer and as well the lushness in vocals of the female singer. It is really something badass in my books.
yeap, James Brown is almost the only thing that I enjoy now with my iphone se. (what plays good) (nirvana / led zep are just terrible with iphone)
there is no sony store in Ukraine / zx500 offer. I don't want to order a postal delivery. (nerves and $) I need to find someone who can bought it in Asia and will come to Ukraine. thus if someone here who can buy zx507 is planning a trip to Kyiv, contact me.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,474 of 8,639
Vinyl Processor effects explained in @Whitigir DMP-Z1 review also applies for ZX507 Vinyl Processor:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...r-signature-series.23308/reviews#review-23083

Vynil Engine: This is under Sound setting, and As Mentioned, The effects is more observable with Direct Mode Off. There are 4x Types to enjoy. Yes, without DSD remastering, I constantly have DSEE HX on. Previously I never adored DSEE HX on any of Sony Walkman, even WM1Z, but with the DMP, it is a world of differences

When turned on, the most noticeable is the Density of timbres energy. It becomes slightly thicker, and then the shape of this very density will change according to the type you just selected. The sound characteristics also will change and it will be hand in hand with your DAC filterings as well. All of my observations is focused on #2 from DAC filtering options “Slow”. Changes in timbres density also carry onto the edges textures of everything, hence it will slightly alter the picture as a whole, not much, but slightly and yet still enjoyable.

1/ Standard: the Density is focused to be strongest in the Core of the Timbres. Addictive Percussion and it slams!

2/ Arm Resonances: Metallic resonances are boosted up a bit to make it pop out even more with the effects of #2 to add up. If you love Emotional Vocals, metallic sparkles and Analog liquidity. There is nothing better than this combination, #2 Slow, and #2 Vynil

3/ Turn Table Resonances: The density of Timbres is a little thinner, not by much but yield a better clarity and transparency for the whole picture, especially with the Metallic resonances and sparkling to be further pop out in comparison to #2. However, in my opinion, it trade off is that the rest of Guitar and string plays just lose it realism and authenticity, which is also less connected as a whole picture. The most unflavored and down voted from my preferences

4/ Surface Noise: this is exactly what it is as the name implied. With Brass instruments textures being sharpened up, and Other metallic instruments being faster, with some grains in it edges textures which create a very authentic and realistic distortions of these very texture and nothing else. String instruments will also show it very own distortions in these textures which is also different than Saxophone or Metallic Drums. This is excellent for classic Rock, soft rock, and other genres that have many of those enjoyable moment. This is also one of my favorite for classical rock and EDM. Please notice that these distortions are different than the distortions from DSP processing “Errors” which create a very random and uncomfortable grains, harsh texture, or distortions at these places. I have never heard of something like this but enjoyable and realistic. If you call others devices grains and harshness to be an overcome or corrections for Errors, then here with the DMP, it is a very artful techniques to reproduce the authenticity and realism of Metallic instruments.

Please notice that these effects will literally changes upon your selection of Digital Filters. Please play around with them and find your very own unique preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,475 of 8,639
Here's something to tryout for those with MDR-1AM2 and ZX507:

As you all know the 1AM2 has slightly elevated bass and slightly brighter treble, if you are seeking for a more closer to neutral sound signature(without touching equalizer) on 1AM2, you can tame down the bass and treble using DSP:

DC Linearizer: Type B High (Bass feels slightly more flatline and controlled across the bass spectrum)
Vinyl Processor: Turn Table (treble feels slightly more relaxed)

DSEE HX OFF if you want the most neutral sound
DSEE HX ON if you wish to add more bass slam and treble sparkle.

And if you wish to accentuate the V shapeness of the 1AM2:
DC Phase Linearizer: Type A Low
Vinyl Processor: Surface Noise
DSEE HX ON

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,476 of 8,639
Guys, quick question, does anyone know if there's any app on Android (Mobile phone) that can control the Sony player. So I can control playback on my phone with the Sony player inside the bag?

I used to use AK Connect and/or the IRIVER remote on my AK players.. wondering if there's a similar solution on the Sony?

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,477 of 8,639
The ZX507 has arrived. I really like it’s size - Light and compact. It’s nice to have a smaller device after a few years :)
Heh.That’s my exact rig. Although I use the little rubber cable guides the Kimber comes with. Also, I have mine in the Sony leather flip case, the CKL-NWZX500... Highly recommend picking one up.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,478 of 8,639
Some early impressions.. this player has excellent note weight/thickness. Sounds mid centered and somewhat bass focused. I didn’t detect any harshness or sibilance in the treble. There’s also really good separation and a pinpoint imaging accuracy in the soundstage. So far testing has been done with my humble E3000 earphones. So far this device is more to my liking than the WM1A and it’s definitely better than the ZX 300. Also feeling like this player doesn’t even need burn in. It sounds so good already.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,479 of 8,639
I felt that the differences between Z7M2 and 1AM2 on Z507 balanced is almost nearing hair spliting.

If you play a track on both headphones, you have to listen to the fine print to understand the differences. It's not like you wear one of the two headphone and you can pick out the one that you prefer immediately. Both sound similar overall but one headphone does soundstage better but the other sounds more crisp.

I think for zx507 owners, I would recommend buying the A1M2 as it has better overall synergy and price to performance ratio over the Z7M2.

What I conclude is that ZX507 when paired to any modern Sony IER/XBA/MDR phones all share a common trait, and that is they all perform really well across a broad range of music genres. You feel that bass, mids, highs, vocals all feel just well balance without emphasis on one band or deemphasis on another.
Thanks
just i got my ZX 507 from Japan and i am setting up now and please advise me is it OK to update the new firmware because it says once updated you cannot revert the old version and also I have Z5 ear phone with 4.4 kimber cable and Z7m2 with stock cable any advise in the settings and thanks for all the posts and i know it was lot of info about it from you and still I need some specific tweaking to this headphone pairings and thanks in advance

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,480 of 8,639
Heh.That’s my exact rig. Although I use the little rubber cable guides the Kimber comes with. Also, I have mine in the Sony leather flip case, the CKL-NWZX500... Highly recommend picking one up.
Nice! Yeah I tried the ear guides and I couldn’t get a comfortable fit with them on. The kimber cable has started to mould around my ears so it’s fits well without the guides anyway,

Thanks for the case recommendation, I’ll check it out. Currently using a TPU case which is doing the job for now but a leather case would definitely be nicer :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,482 of 8,639
The first firmware update is mostly bug fixes and not related to sound quality. So it's safe to update.

As for tuning the settings to suit a specific Headphone or IEM, I would say it boils down to personal preferences ultimately. As in some prefer to use Equalizer but some prefer not. Some of us are purist and don't believe in any DSP and rather stick to Direct Source Settings.

But here's my advice or opinions on the Settings:

Gain Settings:
Use Low Gain if you prefer a more laid back sound for your easy to drive iems

Use High Gain if you are running a harder to drive headphones and/or if you prefer a more aggressive sound signature for any of your iems.

DSEE HX AI:
This function is much improved on the ZX507 as compared to previous implentation found on Sony wireless headphones or older walkmans.
The improvement over previous implentation is that it sounds so much less Artificial. It adds much more noticable soundstage height and improves the seperation of musical elements(singer, audience, drums, piano, violin). I felt that DSEE HX effect is more effective with Sony branded earphone maybe it is sony house sound related.

Enable DSEE HX if you feel that Sony DSP can enhance your listening experience or if you use Sony branded headphones/iems.

Disable DSEE HX if you find that it is not compatible to your iem/headphone sound signature or if you are a sonic purist that don't believe in Sony's sound altering DSP or if you think it sounds like artificial crap.

DC Phase Linearizer:
here's my breakdown:
Type A: impact feeling of Bass notes hits more aggressive(thuddy), more upfront in presentation
Type B: impact feeling of Bass notes hits more laid-back(boomy), more background presentation

As for Low, Standard and High:
Low: Sub bass stands out more
Standard: Mid bass stands out more
High: Bass regions(sub-bass, mid bass, upper bass) gets aggregated and presented as mostly one bass note.

I think for bass heads, the best sounding is Type A Low. As this is the most aggressive on the subbass and slams harder.

Type A standard I feel is the most balanced interms of working well with most genres and also offering a good bass feeling.

for listener of jazz or vocals should try Type B Low or Type B standard. Type B makes vocals stand out more.

Vinyl Processor:
This is a tricky one.
I think this DSP effect is harder to nail down in terms of how one prefers the changes offered by the different modes. But I think I would say you can switch off Vinyl Processor and your zx507 will still sound great.

@Whitigir DMPZ1 review does explain the effects very well.

Dynamic Normalizer:
Don't use this function for music listening. Podcast or audiobooks, this function can be useful.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,483 of 8,639
Nice! Yeah I tried the ear guides and I couldn’t get a comfortable fit with them on. The kimber cable has started to mould around my ears so it’s fits well without the guides anyway,

Thanks for the case recommendation, I’ll check it out. Currently using a TPU case which is doing the job for now but a leather case would definitely be nicer :)
Yes, I plan on removing the guides once the cable has properly molded... Looks much cleaner without them.

Also, dunno if you have had better luck than me, but I couldn't get the stock M9 case to close very securely with the Kimber installed... So I picked up a screw down aluminum case from a company called Rigicase. Did a little post about it over on the thread about the Z1R, M9, and M7. The finish of the case matches the NW-ZX507 perfectly... Very clean-looking setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back