SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #856 of 8,639
So i just had a chance to compare the DAPs
B8FD69A8-F30F-44DC-A167-320C6160A122.jpeg

58CC2C98-CF52-46E3-AFCA-271E403E0376.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #857 of 8,639
Are you able to elaborate or quantify any sound differences between the 1A and the ZX507.
I owned the WM1A quiet a while back now and have been through an SP1000 and SR15 since, also had IE800S’s. I think the main reason I sold it on was I though it was a touch veiled. I didn’t find it exciting enough. Only from memory mind and I now drive the Andromeda Golds with the ZX507 and find the pairing spot on. Detailed, impactful and the kind of listen where you keep curing up track after track.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #860 of 8,639
Anyone else just got an update request? I assume its just a random Android security update.

Screw android updates all it does is ****up your device.... just ignore it

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #862 of 8,639
I am now about half way of the 200hour burn in.

Now the ZX507 seems to have more attack in it's transient, also sub-bass notes feels like it sustains abit more "longer"(talking about microseconds), I am guessing the capacitors are getting more "seasoned". Also (non-recording/microphone based) Sibilance seems to have gone away almost completely.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #863 of 8,639
And... any thoughts?

I have tested the DAPs with my CA Andromeda’s. Standard output. 3.5 mm. Flac and dsd files. Direct. European version.

Some quick thoughts. Just my experience:
-A105 is really small in hand. Sounds much better than my iPhone.
-android is fast enough for me
-Zx300 and zx500 sounds about the same. Difficult to hear any difference
-zx500 sounds better than a105. The difference is not so drastic but i could hear it. Sound was fuller with zx500. Bass was better
-listening volume level was 90 at both devices a105 and zx500. Out of 120.
-comparing to wm1a. My feeling was that zx500 sounded better. But this is very subjective.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #865 of 8,639
The search bar is removable on other Android devices. It seems the settings to remove is not listed in this Sony implementation.

Think for most of the time we will be displaying the walkman music app or some other streaming app. So the visual issue isn't so glaring or as distracting.

At least sony didn't have Facebook or many other spyware and crapware.

You should also try disabling Google app on your Android mobile phone if you don't use Google Assistant. My Xperia 1 also feels more responsive after disabling Google.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #866 of 8,639
I have tested the DAPs with my CA Andromeda’s. Standard output. 3.5 mm. Flac and dsd files. Direct. European version.

Some quick thoughts. Just my experience:
-A105 is really small in hand. Sounds much better than my iPhone.
-android is fast enough for me
-Zx300 and zx500 sounds about the same. Difficult to hear any difference
-zx500 sounds better than a105. The difference is not so drastic but i could hear it. Sound was fuller with zx500. Bass was better
-listening volume level was 90 at both devices a105 and zx500. Out of 120.
-comparing to wm1a. My feeling was that zx500 sounded better. But this is very subjective.

So u also like the ZX300 better than the 1A? Guess I will like the 1A a bit better than the ZX507 then since I do like the 1A considerably better than the ZX300.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #867 of 8,639
You can't really say it's a misconception, it's a mathematical formula that is widely accepted (https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/power-calculator.html#dc)

It's a mathematical formula based on Ohm's Law, yes, but just like any scientific law such as Newton's Law of Motion it breaks down in certain cases. It's a misconception that scientific law is universally true at all instances, which is something that is useful to teach in high school to build a foundation of general knowledge, but is something that people need to discard when they do move onto further and higher studies.

And in the case of power outputs, you don't even need to go super big/super tiny to see the law breaking down like Newton's Law of Motion. Thus it is indeed a misconception which needs to be corrected that you can just use a linear relationship to infer the output power.

It might be so, Sony is smart for sure. Even if it's not linear I am pretty sure you'll have trouble driving high impedance headphones properly. It's going to have different values a little better but the general order of magnitude is not too far off... And you don't start with 4W like the iFi Audio so the impact will be much greater on lower power output even if it's not linear.

It's not just Sony, it's an issue with the entire audio gear world. If you do it right makers should list about 3 values like iFi and Chord, however most makers just lists one value. Also if you look at Chord Hugo 2's numbers, the values is pretty significantly different that it is several folds off especially with low loads such that you cannot reliably use low impedance load power output to infer the power output of a high impedance load.

This is also why I take much more issue with AK's "no load" power output rating. That's the most misleading rating of all.

EDIT: This is an example of how misleading one number is:
https://sandalaudio.blogspot.com/2017/07/astell-kern-sp1000.html

This Japanese user was measuring the voltage output of SP1000 across different loads. Even though the official number says SP1000 has an higher output than previous flagship at no load condition, when connected to a load it tells a completely different story and shows that the SP1000 actually outputs LESS power with the same loads! Although to be completely fair too, he found that the amp modules of the SP1000 will go all the way to 147/150 ie near full output before clipping occurs, which was better than previous devices and it means you have more usable clean power even though the total output is slightly less - oh this is another reason why you should not be using full volume when you are outputing from a DAP to an external amp when using the non-line out output.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HCr3__4f...tI1A4HpLLSE0bK_BxSUK8VWtfNwCK4B/s1600/041.jpg

Also look at how none of the curves exhibits a linear relationship between voltage/load for all AK devices. The SP1000 unbalance is the closest to a linear relationship, the KANN on the other hand is a cliff.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #868 of 8,639
Does any of you use IER-M7, IER-M9, or IER-Z1R with the ZX500? Thinking about getting one of these but not sure which one to go with. Will use it with the player directly without any additional amplifier so I’m afraid the the Z1R may need more power. Thank you!

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #869 of 8,639
Something I've debated with many people over many threads: If an external amp (i.e. Mojo) is being used, the amp will do the whole sound production so using a DAP instead of a smartphone will be pointless since the sound quality wouldn't differ at all.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #870 of 8,639
The thing about smartphones is that they are not designed from the ground up for audio. Attaching a USB dac/amp like the Q5S or Mojo via wire makes it very bulky and wire mess as compared to a DAP. While you can connect wireless via Bluetooth to the Q5S, it's not going to offer the best sound quality. And if you attach via USB port, you can't charge your mobile phone and you also have to deal with battery life and charging on two devices.

Smartphones have too much other software(spyware/crapware and etc) running in the background which does have an effect on sound quality ultimately as compared to dedicated operating system and hardware on DAP whos task is just to deliver audio

Granted there are mobiles phones with ESS Sabre dacs, these are still not going to sound as good as DAP due to their cellular radios and space constraints for dedicated audio circuitry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back