SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #901 of 8,639
I have written to Sony for suggestions, but returning my ZX507 is an option I am considering. If it is not fit for purpose in driving the headphones that is a game changer. I am very happy with it in every other way but I should have purchased from Japan.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #902 of 8,639
I have written to Sony for suggestions, but returning my ZX507 is an option I am considering. If it is not fit for purpose in driving the headphones that is a game changer. I am very happy with it in every other way but I should have purchased from Japan.

Yeah. The full power (200 mW) should be able drive your headphone up to 125 dB. Even if the power outputs gets lower towards the 250 ohm it should be at least 12.8 mW (200 mW at 16 ≈ 12.8 mW at 250 ohms) and produce at least 113 dB. The Japan unit should be able to drive it perfectly.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #903 of 8,639
Driving headphones loud enough never meant well enough from my experience headroom is key... 200mW is decent but nothing to rave about either. That’s why I sold my 1Z...

Now sure the Sony’s have that unique analog quality to their sound (ironic for a class D amp but still true!). I’ll kee coming back to Sony for this very reason :)

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #904 of 8,639
On top of the analog quality, I can't find fault in their DSEE HX upsampling tech. All other upsampling I tried seems to make things sound worse or add coloration. Not sure how Sony manage to make DSEE HX add natural soundstage to the music.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #905 of 8,639
I am able to use the ZX507 as transport to external (*non-Sony) USB DAC using USB-C to USB A OTG cable by using USB Audio Player Pro.

Update: even Sony Walkman Music App is able to play music to the (*non-Sony) USB DAC.

Sound Adjustment does not apply to USB audio output

*Actual device is Mutec MC3+ USB

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #906 of 8,639
I am able to use the ZX507 as transport to external (*non-Sony) USB DAC using USB-C to USB A OTG cable by using USB Audio Player Pro.

Update: even Sony Walkman Music App is able to play music to the (*non-Sony) USB DAC.

Can ZX507 be used as a USB receiver ?

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #907 of 8,639

Poweramp can do HiRes output to a WA11 Topaz USB-C DAC/amp

Can ZX507 be used as a USB receiver ?

If you mean if it can be used as a external DAC for your computer, no.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #908 of 8,639
It seems IER M9 sounds best using balanced cable to the ZX507.

Using single ended. Transients feels weak. It's like a very laid back and polite sound. Bass lacks punch and power.

Once on balanced, it's more aggressive on the transients. Soundstage widens up and feels more three dimensional. Bass feels Fuller and stronger.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #910 of 8,639
A few questions

Does Qobuz operate and output full hi-res audio on this new Walkman? Or is there some truncating / down sampling within Android?

Also

Does the Tidal MQA (with unpacking) operate well and sound good? Do you get a visual display like "96k 24bit" to confirm the MQA unpack?

(Someone here says only the Sony app operates at hi-res but they boast Tidal MQA operation?)

What's max SD card useable?

I wonder if it will power my Empire Ear iems OK? Or will I need a Japanese version? (I won't be wanting it to power big over ear headphones)

I have been battling with restricted Android versions that come with FiiO and Hiby DAPs, am I foolish to think this with Android 9 will run better?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #911 of 8,639
A few questions

Does Qobuz operate and output full hi-res audio on this new Walkman? Or is there some truncating / down sampling within Android?

Also

Does the Tidal MQA (with unpacking) operate well and sound good? Do you get a visual display like "96k 24bit" to confirm the MQA unpack?

(Someone here says only the Sony app operates at hi-res but they boast Tidal MQA operation?)

What's max SD card useable?

I wonder if it will power my Empire Ear iems OK? Or will I need a Japanese version? (I won't be wanting it to power big over ear headphones)

I have been battling with restricted Android versions that come with FiiO and Hiby DAPs, am I foolish to think this with Android 9 will run better?

Thank you very much in advance.

From what I read, streaming apps only output up to 16 bit / 48 kHz

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #912 of 8,639
Dec 4, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #913 of 8,639
Just FYI: on balanced connection

AVLS on low gain is capped at 68 out of 120
AVLS on high gain is capped at 46 out of 120

So it seems like Sony has set the high gain multipier to 1.2x?

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #914 of 8,639
Tidal MQA supported?

94D8681D-DE31-407E-8C68-719E922C6A0A.png

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #915 of 8,639
I wonder if my empire ears iems will be loud enough on the European model.

Impedance: 15.5 ohms @ 1kHz
Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 40kHz
Sensitivity: 101dB @ 1kHz, 1mW

Will report back on Friday when I get mine. I ordered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back