SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #7,996 of 8,639
I returned the version purchased from Amazon due to volume cap and privately imported the device from South Korea (in August 2021). It cost me €622.53 including import fee and DHL fee to Germany. The delivered device has no volume cap

20220207-132017.jpg

20220207-131320.jpg

20220207-131343.jpg
On the subject of gain settings... I currently own a version with high gain, and earlier I had an EU version with the volume cap. It isn't just that the EU version doesn't have high gain, but its low gain (its only setting) is also less powerful than the low gain on the Japanese version.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #7,997 of 8,639
On the subject of gain settings... I currently own a version with high gain, and earlier I had an EU version with the volume cap. It isn't just that the EU version doesn't have high gain, but its low gain (its only setting) is also less powerful than the low gain on the Japanese version.

Yes, this is how the volume cap works on the non-Android players too.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #7,999 of 8,639
To put it this way, how loud does a DAP have to be to be loud enough. With the EU version is completely sufficient in terms of volume. I use the MDR-1AM2, at a volume of 65 on the NW-ZX507. That's absolutely loud enough for me. With more, you only destroy your hearing. And I don't want to have to use a hearing aid later because I listened to music too loudly. That should go through your head every time. I also use my Hiby, FiiO and Shanling DAP's in Low Gain. And don't hear louder than on the NW-ZX507. Healthy is this extremely loud hearing, with high gain certainly not. It does not depend on the maximum volume, but on the sound. You're just ruining your hearing... And I certainly don't want that... The volume of the EU version is enough for me three times...

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #8,000 of 8,639
To put it this way, how loud does a DAP have to be to be loud enough. With the EU version is completely sufficient in terms of volume. I use the MDR-1AM2, at a volume of 65 on the NW-ZX507. That's absolutely loud enough for me. With more, you only destroy your hearing. And I don't want to have to use a hearing aid later because I listened to music too loudly. That should go through your head every time. I also use my Hiby, FiiO and Shanling DAP's in Low Gain. And don't hear louder than on the NW-ZX507. Healthy is this extremely loud hearing, with high gain certainly not. It does not depend on the maximum volume, but on the sound. You're just ruining your hearing... And I certainly don't want that... The volume of the EU version is enough for me three times...
I'm not one who believes that headphones need lots of power to be 'driven properly'. The 1mW from the EU version of the 507 should be enough for most. The exception would be some high impedance headphones, especially with higher dynamic range music. I generally listen at about 70ish with my headphones.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #8,001 of 8,639
I'm not one who believes that headphones need lots of power to be 'driven properly'. The 1mW from the EU version of the 507 should be enough for most. The exception would be some high impedance headphones, especially with higher dynamic range music. I generally listen at about 70ish with my headphones.
It's very iem dependent. With my Westones 80-95 was usually plenty (eu model). With my ie900s I need another 10 to 20 clicks to get the same volume. Indeed, there are some albums that are just too quiet even at max. And I don't listen to anything that demands high volume. As I say, it depends not just on what you like or are used to, but also what you are driving.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #8,002 of 8,639
It’s not really just about volume as it is headroom with certain headphones. You shouldn’t be maxing out your device. I can imagine long term it’s not healthy for the device itself.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #8,003 of 8,639
My EU ZX507 drives my Denon D7200 and Sony MDR-1A just fine (around 85~90 volume) but I wouldn't even consider putting my Beyer DT1990s on there, it's just not worth it. Most of the time I use my Moondrop Starfields at about 85 but these are quite sensitive IEMs, which on my SMSL SH9 desktop amp I had too turn down to 4/99 to reach a sensible volume - the DT1990's need 40/99 for roughly the same volume. I've been looking at getting the 7Hz Timeless planar IEM and I just don't think the EU ZX507 has enough power, so I am feeling quite limited in my IEM choices.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #8,004 of 8,639
I can only say one thing, my EU version of the NW-ZX507 has enough power for all my over-ear headphones. The NW-ZX507 plays them all more than smoothly. I'm always between 60 and 70, in terms of volume. You can see the list of my over-ear headphones and in-ear headphones in my list below. I definitely don't need it louder. Still wants to be able to hear normally in old age. As I said, I also listen to DAP's with Hiby, FiiO and Shanling. And there I don't hear louder than with the NW-ZX507. That's why I don't care about the European volume specifications. I don't see any difference whether with high gain or not. But I rather think that many have already broken their hearing and therefore need it louder and louder. That's where the problem will lie... Not at any volume throttling...

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #8,005 of 8,639
-22% is how much?)))
I heard zx507 is not powerful enough to push them to the limit.
ier z1r might be better alternative. however I am not sure if power is enough. i listened to ier m7, and I was surprised how hard to drive they appeared based no stated sens and imp, compared to mdr 1Am2
It is 1700€!
I am listening right now and the ZX507 can easily handle the Z1R. Not even on high gain and volume is on 76/120. Enough headroom!

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #8,006 of 8,639
I have a problem with the volume when listening to streaming music.

I have a JP version of the ZX507, high gain is on, hi-res streaming is off and earphones are connected to the balanced output.

When listening with the Walkman app a local track at the volume around 70 everything is fine.
But with all the main streaming app that I have tested (Qobuz, Deezer, YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal and Spotify) even at the max volume (120) I find it low. At 100 I can barely listen to the track in a calm environment.

Do you notice the same difference in volume level between the WM app and the streaming apps? How do you deal with it?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #8,009 of 8,639
I have a problem with the volume when listening to streaming music.

I have a JP version of the ZX507, high gain is on, hi-res streaming is off and earphones are connected to the balanced output.

When listening with the Walkman app a local track at the volume around 70 everything is fine.
But with all the main streaming app that I have tested (Qobuz, Deezer, YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal and Spotify) even at the max volume (120) I find it low. At 100 I can barely listen to the track in a calm environment.

Do you notice the same difference in volume level between the WM app and the streaming apps? How do you deal with it?

Thanks!
Have a look at the Settings - > Sound - > Media volume
Screenshot_20220212-200946.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back