SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #7,771 of 8,639
The ZX507’s predecessor the ZX300 series had a mode that permitted it to be used as a dac/amp. Much like some of the Astell&Kern players. This feature was not carried forward with the transition to android on this player

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #7,773 of 8,639
Imagine that NW-A30 didn't get the USB DAC mode on release, nor later via a firmware update. However, it can perfectly support this function with the available custom firmware.

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of "if they want to", and not of "if they can".

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #7,777 of 8,639
Does anyone know where to buy a Dignis case for the 507? They're surprisingly hard to find despite this model still being current..

AliExpress or Amazon I think used to have them. Difficult to find.

How are you finding the IERM9 with the ZX507? You didn’t like the Moondrop blessing? I have the IERM7 it’s a nice synergy with the 507 but been thinking about the blessing if it’ll be a good fit

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #7,778 of 8,639
I like the IER-M9 with anything honestly, it is like a relaxed distillation of Sony house sound. Warm, smooth, musical, relaxing, analogue, fun. I think the ZX507 gives even more warmth which I appreciate since the M9 can be a little bass-light given its fully BA. Even my open earbuds have more bass than the M9, but that said, the M9 is still the best all around performer for all genres, any source, etc. It really is TOTL.

As for the Blessing 2 Dusk, the fit is a little fatiguing but not that bad. Probably the same as my M9. The main reason I got rid of it was the BA timbre in the upper mid/treble, things got shiny and metallic and unnatural sounding. M9 is smoother and more natural sounding to me. The other thing was coherency, the 5BA setup in M9 is just spot on. With the Dusk, it sounded like my brain was malfunctioning lol, I don’t know how to describe incoherence other than it doesn’t sound as good as the M9’s coherence.

That said, the B2 Dusk was really good. If I didn’t visit this site so much I wouldn’t have gotten curious and ended up needing to sell it to fund other purchases. It is easily endgame for many

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #7,779 of 8,639
I am kind of hesitating between getting me a ZX507 or a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd.
Would anyone be kind enough to discourage me (or encourage me) towards one or the other?

I mainly listen to hip hop, but not exclusively either.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #7,780 of 8,639
I am kind of hesitating between getting me a ZX507 or a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd.
Would anyone be kind enough to discourage me (or encourage me) towards one or the other?

I mainly listen to hip hop, but not exclusively either.

That's a tough one as they are quite different. The Sony is, well, a Sony... It has great wifi and BT strength as well as frequent updates (at least for security patches). And of course, it sounds like a Sony. Its' high resolution support for streaming services is a bit unclear (upsampling vs native?) and MQA support seems to be limited to the Sony Walkman Player. Long-term support may favor the Sony as well down the road.

The M11 Plus is a pretty mainstream, modern DAP and has clear high-resolution and MQA support for streaming services. It's also quite a bit more powerful if you need it. Battery life is better and the UI is snappier also.

I ultimately ended up with both the M11 Pro (not Plus) and the Sony ZX507. If I could only have one (today), I would choose the newer M11 Plus because of the high resolution streaming and MQA decoder support. They both sound great to my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #7,782 of 8,639
Thank you for your opinion!
I have just never listened to an Fiio dap and wonder if it may not be a tad cold, if I may say so.

Hard to say with my older ears. It's probably best to research, which I am sure you are doing. :sunglasses:

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #7,783 of 8,639
Thank you for your opinion!
I have just never listened to an Fiio dap and wonder if it may not be a tad cold, if I may say so.
I have both. The Fiio M11 Plus is a powerhouse, it has desktop level sound quality and thx amps that have plenty of grunt.

Issues I have with it is it can sound a little rigid and restrained with it's studio neutral presentation, it lacks a little soul/musicality -

the Sony sounds less polished, warmer but has a more cohesive direct manner of communicating the music. It can't really drive powerhungry gear, but it's very good for iems and it has a global dsp/eq which I use a lot, it's very good.

The Sony is in my book the better dap (smaller, more characteristic sound, better software,). The Fiio is the better source when it comes to technicalities, it's impressive sounding but lacks a little soul. The Sony is a Sony... but get the Fiio if your want to be impressed by studio like neutral by the book sound quality that is so composed and focused one might wish for a little distortion thrown in

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #7,784 of 8,639
I have both. The Fiio M11 Plus is a powerhouse, it has desktop level sound quality and thx amps that have plenty of grunt.

Issues I have with it is it can sound a little rigid and restrained with it's studio neutral presentation, it lacks a little soul/musicality -

the Sony sounds less polished, warmer but has a more cohesive direct manner of communicating the music. It can't really drive powerhungry gear, but it's very good for iems and it has a global dsp/eq which I use a lot, it's very good.

The Sony is in my book the better dap (smaller, more characteristic sound, better software,). The Fiio is the better source when it comes to technicalities, it's impressive sounding but lacks a little soul. The Sony is a Sony... but get the Fiio if your want to be impressed by studio like neutral by the book sound quality that is so composed and focused one might wish for a little distortion thrown in

Well said... :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back