SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #6,166 of 8,639
I have an A105 and no wifi issues on my end. That said I only used it for spotify streaming at the highest quality. I have disabled all applications and services not used, and I have mostly audio applictions. I just got a ZX507 (havent received it yet), will test it once received..

I have A105 and ZX507 and they both have excellent wifi and bluetooth performance. I bought the A105 initially and the wifi and bluetooth was so much better than my Fiio and Hiby DAPS that I went ahead and got the ZX507 as well. I do still use my M11 Pro due to UAPP support and clear indications of bitrate and MQA status as well as native DLNA. My R5 hasn't been used in weeks (love the form factor but wifi is terrible).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #6,168 of 8,639
Bluetooth on the ZX507 works very well for me. Using Jabra Elite 85h headphones, I set out to test Bluetooth range of the ZX507, HiBy R6 Pro (aluminum) and Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact. Each of the source devices was put in the same place, though the ones not in use were turned off. I then walked around the house and noted the places where audio would start to stutter or altogether cut out. The R6 Pro surprised me with overall good range through one wall and around 25 feet. Both the ZX507 and XZ2 Compact went through the same wall and further in distance. That's enough for me.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #6,169 of 8,639
Nice!

I also recommend trying the Bluetooth Receiver function on the A55, as a replacement for the online services, which you can have on the smartphone basically.

There no SIM data anyway on the Android ones, so you would have to share Wi-Fi from the smartphone if you are out in the world.
So I Tried the A55 USB Bluetooth DAC for streaming from iphone's Spotify, as opposed to streaming directly from an A105 (Im evaluating which DAP to keep A55, A105 or ZX507). I love the sound of the A55 with Mr walkman SW, but as a bluetooth DAC I was a bit underwhelmed. Frankly to my untrained ears spotify directly from the A105 seems to sound significantly better than the A55 as bluetooth DAC. iPhone uses AAC to connect to the A55, sound does not seem to be on par or even close to what you get direct from from the A55 or even connecting the iphone directly to headphones with a lighting to 3.5 converter.

Also got my first Chinese IEM over the weekend from Amazon. I bought a KZ10 Pro, with an additional balanced 4.4 cable. I am blown away by the sound of this headphones. Probably the cheapest pair of in-ear headphones, and they blow away anything I have bought before. Really looking forward to try the balanced output of the NZ507.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #6,170 of 8,639
Listened some more yesterday and today. I have to say sound sig is perfect for me. 4.4 is even more amazing with well-mastered albums. Hi-res streaming off which I find affects Music accuracy/sharpness of the walkman APP. Just need BT receiver mode + USB DAC mode and will be perfectly satisfied. No Wifi issues here either.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #6,171 of 8,639
Listened some more yesterday and today. I have to say sound sig is perfect for me. 4.4 is even more amazing with well-mastered albums. Hi-res streaming off which I find affects Music accuracy/sharpness of the walkman APP. Just need BT receiver mode + USB DAC mode and will be perfectly satisfied. No Wifi issues here either.
I had High Res Streaming <On> with previous (JPN and International) firmwares, and preferred it that way from a sound standpoint....but likewise prefer it <Off> on my switch to CHN firmware a few days ago. :shrug:

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #6,173 of 8,639
Haven’t had any wifi issues on my zx507 or my A105. Rock solid connection for both

Yeah, it seems to be fine with the hotspot from my Galaxy S10e, but not with my router, while all the other Wi-Fi devices work fine.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #6,174 of 8,639
Yeah, it seems to be fine with the hotspot from my Galaxy S10e, but not with my router, while all the other Wi-Fi devices work fine.
Hmm... Seems strange. Especially coz everything else works fine. Could the Walkman be faulty?

I have similar wifi issues to you with both of my other daps (iBasso dx220 Max & AK Kann Alpha) but the Sony’s work perfectly 🤔

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #6,175 of 8,639
Hmm... Seems strange. Especially coz everything else works fine. Could the Walkman be faulty?

I have similar wifi issues to you with both of my other daps (iBasso dx220 Max & AK Kann Alpha) but the Sony’s work perfectly 🤔

No idea to be honest.

I could try resetting the router, or switch it to 2.4 GHz mode. The hotspot on my Galaxy S10e is actually on the 5 GHz mode, so that shouldn't be an issue - and as all other devices work ok with the router's connection, I'm not really sure it's the router's fault also.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #6,176 of 8,639
Any opinions of using Chinese firmware on an international unit? I sure like the lower footprint of install and the potential of better battery life. I have not upgraded from 3.x yet so I'm assuming sideloading is still an option, right?

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #6,177 of 8,639
No idea to be honest.

I could try resetting the router, or switch it to 2.4 GHz mode. The hotspot on my Galaxy S10e is actually on the 5 GHz mode, so that shouldn't be an issue - and as all other devices work ok with the router's connection, I'm not really sure it's the router's fault also.

what kind of router do you have?
I had an older one that kept dropping. recently changed to the new Mesh type and it does not drop.

the connections are pretty stable for the ZX507. in comparison, the AK70 mkii would have more disruptions for any connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back