SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #5,011 of 8,642
not sure if this was posted before but interesting and contradicts what i saw posted in the thread earlier

https://www.porta-fi.com/sony-updat...o-support-high-resolution-streaming-playback/

Prior to the update, contents from streaming services such as Amazon Music HD, Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal are down-scaled to 48 kHz / 16-bit. With the firmware update, the output is now at 192 kHz / 32-bit, even if the original resolution is lower than 192 kHz / 32-bit.

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #5,012 of 8,642
not sure if this was posted before but interesting and contradicts what i saw posted in the thread earlier

https://www.porta-fi.com/sony-updat...o-support-high-resolution-streaming-playback/

Prior to the update, contents from streaming services such as Amazon Music HD, Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal are down-scaled to 48 kHz / 16-bit. With the firmware update, the output is now at 192 kHz / 32-bit, even if the original resolution is lower than 192 kHz / 32-bit.

you have control over this in the form of HiRes Streaming On/Off now... what's the confusion?

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #5,013 of 8,642
I'm curious as to the science behind this. Wouldn't the second formatting on the player wipe any derived benefit from the initial format by the SD card formatting tool?

That being said, I'm still enjoying comparing the same test tracks on both internal memory and my Samsung EVO select SD card. The sound quality improvement is not insignificant.
The SD Formatter optimizes the file structure, according to the info on the web site of the SD Association.
When the SD card is then subsequently formatted in the Sony ZX507, it depends on what the Sony format is doing.
1. The Sony format is not altering the file structure, but merely doing a quick format that zeros the pointers to files. This allows subsequent write operations to re-use and overwrite the space that the files are occupying.
2. The Sony format alters the file structure, in addition to zeroing the pointers to files. If this is the case, then the SD Formatter changes would be wiped out, and replaced by the Sony format changes.

I suspect that it is No. 1 that is being done, and not No. 2

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #5,014 of 8,642
Yeah, as quickly as the Sony "format" is, I assume No. 1 as well.

I think I'm gonna go ahead & order a SD card reader & a 512GB Sandisk Extreme; then try out that SD Formatter (Mac version) & see what's what. My old (2014) Mac has a SD slot (one of the last Macs that actually came with useful ports), but it seems dodgey as hell (works when it wants to). I plan to run that full format (that'll likely take an hour to complete) using SD Formatter.

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #5,015 of 8,642
I'm curious as to the science behind this. Wouldn't the second formatting on the player wipe any derived benefit from the initial format by the SD card formatting tool?

That being said, I'm still enjoying comparing the same test tracks on both internal memory and my Samsung EVO select SD card. The sound quality improvement is not insignificant.

It's really a very complicated topic to explain in a accurate manner but basically there are 3 levels/layers of data block addressing systems inside the microsd. When you do formating with Sony walkman you are just formating at higher level. The sdcard formating tool does a low level format.

figure1.gif

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #5,016 of 8,642
@DJ Core

Have you done comparsions between your microsd cards vs zx507 internal storage

I don't think it is related to A2 Spec, as the lexar I mentioned is A2 spec but has bad sound quality. I have A1 cards that sounded much better.

I would imagine that the microsd card is somewhat like a ultra miniature computer digital transport source for the walkman itself. It has its own internal source jitter or other electromechanical interferences that affects the walkman.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #5,017 of 8,642
I heard that Linux sdcard formatting is the way to go. Windows and mac is too bloated.

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #5,018 of 8,642
The SD Formatter optimizes the file structure, according to the info on the web site of the SD Association.
When the SD card is then subsequently formatted in the Sony ZX507, it depends on what the Sony format is doing.
1. The Sony format is not altering the file structure, but merely doing a quick format that zeros the pointers to files. This allows subsequent write operations to re-use and overwrite the space that the files are occupying.
2. The Sony format alters the file structure, in addition to zeroing the pointers to files. If this is the case, then the SD Formatter changes would be wiped out, and replaced by the Sony format changes.

I suspect that it is No. 1 that is being done, and not No. 2

This makes sense, as the Sony format takes much less time. It must be some type of quick format.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #5,019 of 8,642
@DJ Core

Have you done comparsions between your microsd cards vs zx507 internal storage

I don't think it is related to A2 Spec, as the lexar I mentioned is A2 spec but has bad sound quality. I have A1 cards that sounded much better.

I would imagine that the microsd card is somewhat like a ultra miniature computer digital transport source for the walkman itself. It has its own internal source jitter or other electromechanical interferences that affect the walkman.

I only compared with the U3 A1 256GB card and there was no difference to my ears.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #5,020 of 8,642
I feel ignored...
I though I quoted useful information [regarding sound differences caused my playback from different storage even with 120gb ssd buffer] that will get a proper recognition and response. in fact my assumption failed.
sad :triportsad:

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #5,021 of 8,642

It's really a very complicated topic to explain in a accurate manner but basically there are 3 levels/layers of data block addressing systems inside the microsd. When you do formating with Sony walkman you are just formating at higher level. The sdcard formating tool does a low level format.

figure1.gif

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-flash-filesystems/

Has anyone tried formatting the SD card with the formatting tool and NOT formatting a 2nd time with the player? I copied the directory structure from the internal Walkman drive to the newly formatted SD card and it seems to index properly with the player.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5,022 of 8,642
Has anyone tried formatting the SD card with the formatting tool and NOT formatting a 2nd time with the player? I copied the directory structure from the internal Walkman drive to the newly formatted SD card and it seems to index properly with the player.
I tried doing that. I find that Walkman format still has a very slight edge in clarity. The major jump in SQ did come from using the sdcard formatter tool.

At least now we have discovered a free tweak to possibly improve the sound quality of your existing microsd card.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #5,023 of 8,642
I tried doing that. I find that Walkman format still has a very slight edge in clarity. The major jump in SQ did come from using the sdcard formatter tool.

At least now we have discovered a free tweak to possibly improve the sound quality of your existing microsd card.
is this one tool u re talking about? https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
and what?
how will it improve SQ of zx507? I use samsung evo+ 512gb. nothing from music had ever been written on it. formatted by zx500 only once when it had 30-50 gb of music.
is it a good idea to format sd card with almost 300 gb of music on it?
I heard that it has no endless re-write cycles.
and what next? 1) format with a tool. 2) format with zx507?

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #5,024 of 8,642
is this one tool u re talking about? https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
and what?
how will it improve SQ of zx507? I use samsung evo+ 512gb. nothing from music had ever been written on it. formatted by zx500 only once when it had 30-50 gb of music.
is it a good idea to format sd card with almost 300 gb of music on it?
I heard that it has no endless re-write cycles.
and what next? 1) format with a tool. 2) format with zx507?

Backup your music first. It will take about 1hour plus to do the overwrite format. Your samsung has many write cycles left, doing one time formating and recopying files has negligible impact on your microsd card lifespan. I have noticed improvements to background noise floor across all my microsd cards that I did this. It's like completely dark soundstaging.

Yes, do the overwrite format and format with zx507 then recopy your music back in. I think this will take you a few hours to complete, so plan your playback downtime accordingly, maybe copy some music into your zx507 storage.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5,025 of 8,642
I feel ignored...
I though I quoted useful information [regarding sound differences caused my playback from different storage even with 120gb ssd buffer] that will get a proper recognition and response. in fact my assumption failed.
sad :triportsad:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15863500
Thank you for adding supporting information from another user on how different storage mediums do affect SQ. Every bit of information adds to the overall data that there are other people who have confirmed from their experiences that they hear a difference, and that there is a different point of view, that just might be valid.

Of course this, and much more, will not change the minds of people who are sure "bits are bits". Which I am fine with. This audio area is such a "rich" area when it comes to disagreements about what makes sense and what does not.

Over time, I have come to accept that there is, and always will be disagreements, and that it is up to each person to decide for themselves. Like many other things in life, and most social media, we just want to find a group of like minded individuals that we share experiences and discoveries with, and treat each other with respect. And on those things that we do not agree on, have a friendly discussion, and just put them aside, as things that we agree to disagree on. This would be the ideal kind of forum, as there is no need to enforce any universal belief with strong words and denigrations.

I have gone through my share of stubborn beliefs, so I am willing to overlook others going through the same thing, and try to stay away from a "king of the hill" mindset, where there is only one way to think, and all other opposing beliefs are relegated to the trash heap of unenlightened thoughts.

There is no absolute right and wrong. Only relative right and wrong. I am reminded of the line from the Dire Straits song about political beliefs/viewpoints, and how eventually, there is no right or wrong anymore, and how applicable it is to everything:
"Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right"

Dire Straits - Ride Across The River

I'm a soldier of freedom in the army of man
Oh, we are the chosen, we're the partisan (alright)
Well the cause it is noble and the cause it is just
We are ready to pay with our lives if we must

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

And I'm a soldier of fortune, I'm a dog of war
And we don't give a damn who the killing is for
It's the same old story with a different name
Death or glory, it's the killing game

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

Oh, nothing gonna stop them as the day follows the night
Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right