SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4,456 of 8,639
Anyone listen to the DX507 with an Empire Ears Phantom? Is it too warm of a combination?

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #4,459 of 8,639
@T.R.A.N.C.E.

I notice that there is a difference in sound when you play offline music files on the walkman music app with:

A. Hi Res Streaming ON

B. HI Res Streaming OFF

On seems to have more 3D processing with vocals more distant

OFF seems to place vocals more forward, imaging seems to be better focused.

If you combine OFF mode with safe mode along with direct source ON, it is the least processed sounding I have heard on the ZX507, extremely fast and raw sounding transients. High gain can sound overwhelming, recommend to use low gain. Also this settings seems to sound really great on DSD files, seems to give DSD music more dynamics and even more clarity.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #4,461 of 8,639
Alternating between: Hi Res streaming off, Direct off and DSEE HX On, all others off.

Hi Res Streaming off, Direct Sound On. Which doesn't sound as 'dry', like the former. maybe it depends on the recording?

Yes it really depends on recording.

Also you should try out safe mode:
With screen turned on
Hold down power button until you see the restart popup
Press restart
Hold the volume down button when it is restarting
You should see a safe mode word at the left bottom of the screen once its up and running.
This mode sounds totally different. Use low gain if you find it overwhelming strong.
In this mode you can also experiment with Dsee and other dsp.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,462 of 8,639
@T.R.A.N.C.E.

I notice that there is a difference in sound when you play offline music files on the walkman music app with:

A. Hi Res Streaming ON

B. HI Res Streaming OFF

On seems to have more 3D processing with vocals more distant

OFF seems to place vocals more forward, imaging seems to be better focused.

If you combine OFF mode with safe mode along with direct source ON, it is the least processed sounding I have heard on the ZX507, extremely fast and raw sounding transients. High gain can sound overwhelming, recommend to use low gain. Also this settings seems to sound really great on DSD files, seems to give DSD music more dynamics and even more clarity.

Yeah I noticed that combo as well. Agree it sounds very raw, not my cup of tea in high gain, but low gain is just perfect.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #4,463 of 8,639
Yes it really depends on recording.

Also you should try out safe mode:
With screen turned on
Hold down power button until you see the restart popup
Press restart
Hold the volume down button when it is restarting
You should see a safe mode word at the left bottom of the screen once its up and running.
This mode sounds totally different. Use low gain if you find it overwhelming strong.
In this mode you can also experiment with Dsee and other dsp.

Thanks I will try that. At the mo listening with Hi Res Streaming On and Direct Sound On, which also sounds good.

Edit: After a short test prefer normal mode, sounds more spacious and musical, though maybe slightly warmer?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #4,464 of 8,639
I think:

safe mode + direct source mode + hires stream off + low gain is good for DSD only playback.

Normal mode + direct source mode + hi res stream off is good for hires lossless files in general

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #4,465 of 8,639
When I listen to my extremely tweaked ZX507 walkman this is what I noticed:

Deep sub-bass notes that has strong punch and can have very sustained decay

Surreal, emotive vocals that maintains imaging coherency even with all sorts of other louder instruments in the mix.

Every music element: main singer, backup singer, drummer, guitarist, audience has its own individual positioning in the soundstage

Really fast attacking but well controlled transients that is done in a way which don’t sound eardrum piercing

Piano that has rich high tone and decay

Guitar that has crispy twang, well defined timbre reverberations

Saxophone that has more noticeable tiny reverberations

Extremely lush sounding Violins that has airiness and wooden timbre.

Background audience’s whistling, clapping, cheering sound really well defined and not blurred/soften

Equipment used and settings:
IER-M9 with stock balanced cable and Final Audio E-type Tips
Non-modified Sony ZX507 walkman
Adata premiere pro MLC 128GB microsd formatted by Walkman
fresh factory reset android with strictly all google and every other non-system apps disabled
Android Battery optimisation disabled system wide
Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC switched Off
Battery saver Off
High-res streaming Off
High Gain On
DSEE HX On
DC Linearizer Type A Low
100% charged and connected to anker USB-PD powerbank
Listening done in a dark and quiet 36dba average listening environment

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,467 of 8,639
can't understand how full volume from the amp will work as a line out, I will try it.

with high-res streaming off, that does not affect Tidal 16/44.1 tracks?

Is there a way to play through folders/albums? the manual is unclear about that.

Thank you!

Sony doesn't officially state it as a line out. The 3.5mm output on the ZX507 is really well designed to run at full volume output without going into distortion, so you can use this method as a lineout. I have used ZX507 as analog source to my car sound system and it sounded extremely musical. No issues at all.

Hi res streaming off = fixed 16bit 48KHz resample for all android apps.

You can browse and play by folder in the Walkman music app.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #4,468 of 8,639
can't understand how full volume from the amp will work as a line out, I will try it.

Is there a way to play through folders/albums? the manual is unclear about that.

Thank you!
FWIW, I've used the ZX-507 3.5mm output as a lineout, mini-to-mini connected to a quality Vorzuge amp (for sale in my sig). Max volume, high gain. Sounds terrific, zero distortion, zero graininess.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #4,469 of 8,639

Thank you!
Unlike a number of other DAPs, completely digital volume control, so using higher volume numbers will not be introducing additional noise into the amp. You're not bypassing the inbuilt amp, but with direct source on you're getting the as intended Sony sound. Audioquest dragonfly works the same way. No line out, but with digital volume control, was expected to be run at full volume into an amp

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #4,470 of 8,639
On the topic of volume control, the ZX507's digital volume control is really well executed.

No hiss or dither-like quantization noise at lower volumes settings that plague other digital volume controls. And like all digital volume controls, it doesn't suffer from channel imbalance or knob noise that plague analog controls.

It is able to better retain music details to a certain extent at lower volume levels.

It is also very linear in changes to loudness when you do increases or decreases to the volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back