SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #4,441 of 8,642
I value the information regarding on why the XM4 are having correct volume levels. However I was not comparing. I’m confused on why this device is capped when nothing else seems to be. Not BT headphones nor other DAC/DAPs. That’s what makes me annoyed. Especially if it’s capped via hardware and these devices are somewhat crippled for life.

Also, thanks for explaining the current status of the cap and it’s non removal!

I’m just happy that I’ve found an awesome device that’s so portable and delivers fantastic sounds. Now just to decide if I’m on to find a non capped to find out if it makes any difference for my experience.

Try booting it in safe mode by holding volume down button during startup. There will be safe mode displayed in bottom left of screen if activated. Curious if this bypasses the volume cap at least partly, high gain mode will still not be available but maybe it will unlock the maximum output of low gain mode if it works.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #4,442 of 8,642
I value the information regarding on why the XM4 are having correct volume levels. However I was not comparing. I’m confused on why this device is capped when nothing else seems to be. Not BT headphones nor other DAC/DAPs. That’s what makes me annoyed. Especially if it’s capped via hardware and these devices are somewhat crippled for life.

Also, thanks for explaining the current status of the cap and it’s non removal!

I’m just happy that I’ve found an awesome device that’s so portable and delivers fantastic sounds. Now just to decide if I’m on to find a non capped to find out if it makes any difference for my experience.

Once you go uncapped, you'll never go back. Even at the lowest volume, The Dynamics and imaging are thru the roof vs capped version. Get uncapped if you can. You're cheating yourself and those amazing IEMs.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #4,443 of 8,642
While we are on the cap issue...

I was going to buy one but I’m in the U.K. and my zx300 sounds so much better after I removed the cap - so I don’t want to import and I don’t want capped.

I want it in addition to the ZX300 so I can stream at home and not have to disconnect when I get up to make coffee or stretch my legs and want multi day battery life.

Any recommendations from the group? I’m thinking maybe AK SR25 / SA700 or SE100 or FIIO M15 but I’m in analysis paralysis at the moment 😂

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #4,444 of 8,642
Hi to All Hedfiers !!!
what is the situation with Sony NW-ZX507 after the latest update? Is it still EU volume restricted? Anyone from the EU can clarify this, please?
Is High GAIN available on the EU Sony NW-ZX507?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #4,446 of 8,642
Hi to All Hedfiers !!!
what is the situation with Sony NW-ZX507 after the latest update? Is it still EU volume restricted? Anyone from the EU can clarify this, please?
Is High GAIN available on the EU Sony NW-ZX507?
Currently running v2.01.00 - no gain switch in the volume control app, volume restriction appears to be determined at least by the volume control app.

I’m not aware of a root method for this device to attempt to replace the volume app with that from another region

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4,447 of 8,642
Currently running v2.01.00 - no gain switch in the volume control app, volume restriction appears to be determined at least by the volume control app.

I’m not aware of a root method for this device to attempt to replace the volume app with that from another region
I remember there can be activated developer mode through some combination.
I enables access to some adjustable feature of devise performance.
on JP model there was nothing about volume cap.
perhaps there is a switcher on EU models.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #4,448 of 8,642
Really ? If it is rooted and or developer mod enabled, then I would be interested in getting one LoL

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #4,449 of 8,642
As far as we know, there is no way to get rid of the volume cap on Sony Android players. For non android, like the ZX300, WM1A/Z, etc., the volume cap is well understood, and can be disabled using the Rockbox tool. https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
There is also a list of what models the tool can change. The z505/507 is unfortunately android based, and there is no known method of disabling the volume cap, which is on the EU machines only. So the advice is to not buy the EU models, if you do not want the volume cap. (and most people do not want it)

This is the list for Sony machines:
This tool allows one to change the destination and sound pressure regulation settings of the Sony players that run linux. Codenames in the following table correspond to the SonyNW page
Note: Android devices (NWZ-ZX1, NW-ZX2 etc...) are not supported!
If your player is not in this list, help us.
If the list below says "No (never)" it means your device cannot be supported because this feature is not supported by your device.

SeriescodenameStatusComment
NWZ-A10nwz-a10
DONE
Works
NW-A20nw-a20
DONE
Works
NW-A30nw-a30
DONE
Works
NW-A40nw-a40
DONE
Works
NW-A50nw-a50
DONE
Works
NWZ-A810nwz-a810
DONE
Works
NWZ-A840nwz-a840
DONE
Works
NWZ-A850nwz-a850
DONE
Works
NWZ-A860nwz-a860
DONE
Works
NWZ-E360
choice-no
No (never)
NWZ-E370
choice-no
No (never)
NWZ-E380
choice-no
No (never)
NWZ-E390
choice-no
No (never)
NWZ-E440
choice-no
No (never)
NWZ-E450nwz-e450
DONE
Works
NWZ-E460nwz-e460
DONE
Works
NWZ-E470nwz-e470
DONE
Works
NWZ-E580nwz-e580
DONE
Works
NW-WM1nw-wm1
DONE
Works
NW-ZX1
choice-no
No (never)
NW-ZX2
choice-no
No (never)
NW-ZX100nw-zx100
DONE
Works
NW-ZX300nw-zx300
DONE
Works
NW-ZX300Anw-zx300
DONE
Works
NWZ-S750nwz-s750
DONE
Works
NWZ-W270
choice-no
No (never)

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #4,451 of 8,642
does anyone use Sony IER Z1R with Sony NW ZX507 EU capped version?

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #4,452 of 8,642
Do capped versions have AVLS(Volume Limit) setting? In theory, shouldn't Neutron and UAPP be able to go around this issue? Neutron has a setting to control the hardware volume.
AVLS is a different thing, and not related to the Capped volume. No idea if there is a way for an app to get around the Cap, but have never heard of anybody who has found a way.

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #4,454 of 8,642
Yes, EU version can drive them without any issue. High dynamic range tracks require volume around 100-105 for my taste.
120 is maximum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back