SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 19, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #3,886 of 8,639
Okay I did these measurements a while back. Here's graphs of the FR of the various DSP options. Green is DIRECT MODE in all charts. Click on chart to make it larger.

Measurements performed on a Universal Hidition Viento using an IEC-60711 style coupler. GRAS RA0045 clone. Known resonance peak targeted around 8KHz.

DSEE HX
slight change in upper treble response.
DSEE HX.png

DC Phase Linearizer

Bass A-B Standard measure the same and adds a small bass bump.
DC Phase Bass A-B.png

Type A and Type B LOW and HIGH also measure the same and does a sub-bass roll-off.

DC Phase.png

Vinyl Processor
It moves up and down in FR from the baseline throughout the audible range.

Vinyl Processor.png

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #3,887 of 8,639
The ZX-507 pairs beautifully with the Blon BL-03. Been using the Blons with a 4.4mm balanced cable from Penon. It’s a gd option for a nicely priced iem that works well with this DAP

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #3,888 of 8,639
Didn't see any recommendations for screen protectors other than Sony one which have to import to UK, so took a gamble on this one off Amazon and for size/fit its one of best I've had.

Looks like a German brand and very thin.

Seems to be a bit flexible like plastic but surface looks glass-like and feels like glass to touch.

Managed to fit with no bubbles/hair/dust too!

20200619_142137.jpg

20200619_142147.jpg

Any dust in photo is on surface, not under.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3,890 of 8,639
Didn't see any recommendations for screen protectors other than Sony one which have to import to UK, so took a gamble on this one off Amazon and for size/fit its one of best I've had.

Looks like a German brand and very thin.

Seems to be a bit flexible like plastic but surface looks glass-like and feels like glass to touch.

Managed to fit with no bubbles/hair/dust too!

20200619_142137.jpg

20200619_142147.jpg
Any dust in photo is on surface, not under.

Ty for the info, I will try to get one too!

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #3,891 of 8,639
Yep, same version here and no issue

Using this BROTECT on my WM1A as well and it's the best glass protector I've come across. It's a very thin slightly flexible sheet of glass. Has the feel of glass and thinness of plastic.

You can bend it a little, but if you try to fold it it will snap.

Got three of them in a pack, also from amazon de.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #3,892 of 8,639
Guys, this question is more related to Android in the new ZX507 (or A100 series) than to sound itself, but it's important to me nonetheless. Can these players be used with Android Auto so that the Walkman Music Player app can be accessed through the app?

I jumped at a great sale offer and got myself a WM1-A, which I'm loving so far, but I'd like a player that I can use in my car without taking up the only active Bluetooth connection that the car supports (I want to save it for my phone). So I'd like to connect the player via cable and Android Auto seems to a possible solution (the car doesn't seem to support AUX in of other kinds either). Since the WM1-A runs on Sony's own OS and my old ZX2's Jelly Bean is too old to work with Android Auto, I'm considering the purchase of another Walkman to use in the car permanently. Would any of the new players work OK with Android Auto? Has anyone given it a try? I know it's an unusual question, but someone may have tried it or have the knowledge regardless. Thanks a lot for any tips/suggestions/advice! :)

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #3,893 of 8,639
Hey guys,

How would this be paired with the Andromeda 2020? Does anyone know the output impedance of this DAP?

Also, if I might ask: What is the difference between Japanese vs US/CA versions?

Originally I was looking into the A&K SR25 but I’m not sure how.

Thanks for your guidance!

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,894 of 8,639
Hey guys,

How would this be paired with the Andromeda 2020? Does anyone know the output impedance of this DAP?

Also, if I might ask: What is the difference between Japanese vs US/CA versions?

Originally I was looking into the A&K SR25 but I’m not sure how.

Thanks for your guidance!

I have a Solaris 2020 and used to have an Andromeda S, and they both sound great from the ZX507. Not sure the exact output inpedance but it must be pretty low I’m guessing, as the bass is all there on both CA’s.

However, there is a very faint (but still audible) hiss when music isn’t playing. I can’t notice it when there’s music playing though.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #3,895 of 8,639
I have a Solaris 2020 and used to have an Andromeda S, and they both sound great from the ZX507. Not sure the exact output inpedance but it must be pretty low I’m guessing, as the bass is all there on both CA’s.

However, there is a very faint (but still audible) hiss when music isn’t playing. I can’t notice it when there’s music playing though.

You must have super sensitive hearing as with my 8 Ohm SE846's (balanced) its dead silent (L-gain).

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #3,897 of 8,639
You must have super sensitive hearing as with my 8 Ohm SE846's (balanced) its dead silent (L-gain).
I start hear hissing only on H-gain 80+ volume. 17 Ω 104 db/mW iems, but I'm using a thick cable, that is why so high volume needed.

And for the same reason I can't use any Walkman ESP. The hiss intensifies even more when Direct mode is OFF.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #3,898 of 8,639
i've made a wallpaper to our walkman.. instead of just blank black stock wallpaper, i put some 40th anniversary logo over. i cant find a hires logo, but this would just do well on our small display.

here's the link. https://imgur.com/a/BeYaBNx
or open quote below.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #3,900 of 8,639
how many hours battery life playback wise and while not in usage, i am presuming 10-12 hours playback on single charge and 2-3 days standby, thanks
I always power mine down and also set to 1hr off timer if not in use so don't really use standby.

As for play time, it varies between track type and SE or balanced plus also if streaming or using Walkman App. Generally for me:

All balanced with L-Gain at volume of 68/120 on Japanese version.

Walkman App with mix of FLAC/HDFLAC/MQA ~16hrs

Using offline Tidal tracks ~9hrs

Live streaming music over WIFI ~6hrs

Walkman app uses nearly half as much battery as other apps and likley directly access hardware rather than via an Android OS layer.

This is with ZX507 optimised with SonyWalkmanUser's guide.

Wifi/BT/NFC all off when using Walkman App or Tidal in offline mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back