SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #3,736 of 8,639
Agree with this as well. But for me, I would rather use my large-screen iPhone for those lower-quality sources; it’s just a more enjoyable experience for casual listening and discovery. But DAPs and external DAC/Amps for me should offer a better hi-res experience than my phone for streaming. For local music, the walkman music app is very good though.

Agree. For me:

ZX507 Walkman App Own Music A+
ZX507 Tidal App at 32/192 B+
Hiby R3Pro Hiby App Own Music A
Hiby R3Pro Hiby Tidal Live Streaming A

I personally find the R3Pro slightly bright so prefer warmer/smoother Sony Sig.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #3,737 of 8,639
I didn’t think of creating a guide when I initially started to explore with tweaking the settings but end up doing so because it’s like logbook that I myself can refer back if the firmware gets updates or if an unforseen tweak crashed the walkman and I have to start tweaking back all over again.

I try to list tweaks that are 100% reversible within the UI. I didn’t list tweaks that require running shell commands from a computer connection.

These tweaks are probably at the limit of what you can do as a regular joe. Beyond this will require XDA forum developer level tinkering/root access to further improve performance.

though I think only Headfi zx507/a105 users got to know of this tweak guide, the international users are still unaware of this.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3,738 of 8,639
These tweaks are probably at the limit of what you can do as a regular joe. Beyond this will require XDA forum developer level tinkering/root access to further improve performance.
The ZX507 is my first Android device (or second actually, since I got the FiiO M11 Pro a few days before it), so since I’m new to Android (being an iOS guy) your excellent tweak post has been very useful, and as you point out, not too complex. I wouldn’t have known where to begin and which parts of Android to disable, etc. I’m sure even experienced Android users have found it useful though. Please keep updating it as you find new tweaks.

Cheers,
gus

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3,739 of 8,639
I think I will be getting into the habit of only activating wifi when I want to download new tracks or am walking around (wifi hot-spot with my phone)and keen to hear something I haven't already downloaded

To be honest - in Lockdown I haven't been using it much (zero commuting) but have been using the time for running in & downloading all my favorites.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,742 of 8,639
I read there's like two versions of the r3pro? One with ESS dac and another with Ciruss Logic dac?
Which version is yours running?

Ciruss, the Sabre only came out week or so ago and is same but different "flavour".

Only one person on forum has it and got today I think. Awaiting his feedback but he doesnt have Ciruss one to directly compare to. Expectation is brighter, more analytical and has slightly more driving power.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,744 of 8,639
In my opinion, you have gotten the better R3 Pro model. ESS dacs usually have a tendency to sound like what is described below. Listening fatigue will definitely set in faster on the Sabre. To me listening to most ESS dacs, it's like poking a sabre into your eardrums(pun intended).

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/new-hiby-r3-pro-announced

While Cirrus Logic's chips have enjoyed a reputation of being musical, ESS DAC chips have been described by some as being razor-sharp, analytical, and highly accurate. Some music listeners describe it as sounding too detailed, with some proclaiming that they pretty much preferred listening to the Cirrus Logic “smooth sound” instead.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #3,745 of 8,639
Yeah I'd agree, I've had three Sabre dap's and they don't sound natural to me, good detail, air and dynamics, but transients are overblown, actually my least favorite dac's.
Wolfson WM8740 sounds ok but lacks top and bottom extension.
Cirrus CS4398 is quite nice but a bit sterile and lacking dynamics.
Texas Instruments PCM1795 is natural but on the warm side, PCM1792 is more detailed but at the expense of naturalness.
Asahi Kasei are on top for dac chips, but none of them match Sony's S-Master HX for organic and dynamic sound.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #3,746 of 8,639
The ZX507 is my first Android device (or second actually, since I got the FiiO M11 Pro a few days before it), so since I’m new to Android (being an iOS guy) your excellent tweak post has been very useful, and as you point out, not too complex. I wouldn’t have known where to begin and which parts of Android to disable, etc. I’m sure even experienced Android users have found it useful though. Please keep updating it as you find new tweaks.

Cheers,
gus
Which one do you like better, M11 Pro or ZX507 and why?

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #3,747 of 8,639
Yeah I'd agree, I've had three Sabre dap's and they don't sound natural to me, good detail, air and dynamics, but transients are overblown, actually my least favorite dac's.
Wolfson WM8740 sounds ok but lacks top and bottom extension.
Cirrus CS4398 is quite nice but a bit sterile and lacking dynamics.
Texas Instruments PCM1795 is natural but on the warm side, PCM1792 is more detailed but at the expense of naturalness.
Asahi Kasei are on top for dac chips, but none of them match Sony's S-Master HX for organic and dynamic sound.
And yet the excellent BTR5 has a pair of ESS9218P Sabre DAC's an sounds awesome, not bright and is musical.

Down to tuning and other parts too.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #3,749 of 8,639
What I find is there is in general like a few flavours of sound with most of the off shelf dacs:

Warm and smooth but very not resolving in the highs

Sharp high resolution but harsh sounding at times

Balanced sounding but lacks dynamics/excitement

It is possible to correct the flaws with clever use of DSP/FPGA, output op amps or custom digital filtering. But Its like masking away an issue with makeup, if you listen really very carefully you might spot the underlying flaws.

What I find is there one area which the S-Master Hx does very well is the fine balanced between clarity, smoothness and dynamics. Throw whatever genre of music at it, it just delivers.

Jazz? It delivers smooth vocals and airiness of the saxaphone
Classical? It shows every tiny details and amazing clarity
Rock? It delivers every cymbals clashes and drum beats correctly all the time without sounding harsh/fatiguing

The S-Master HX is really like a chameleon for music.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3,750 of 8,639
Another 24hrs with it and sound out of the Walkman app is perfect but not so much with streaming app.

I've been listening to Tidal then same track in walkman app and a there's significant improvement with the walkmam app.

Hope Sony get bitperfect implemented for streaming services.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back