SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #12,031 of 14,773
Can anyone tell me if the stock music app or any after market music app can do the following:

While listening to all songs on random, hear a song that strikes the mood and within a couple of clicks you are able to play that entire album.

Most players make it combersome to this.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #12,032 of 14,773
Zx2 has an app called 'SensMe channels'. What it does is, analyze all the music files and categorize it into 13 channels ranging from energetic to relaxing.
I haven't used it myself but I think you can play through the app and depending on your mood listen to what the app picks accordingly.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #12,033 of 14,773
Can anyone tell me if the stock music app or any after market music app can do the following:

While listening to all songs on random, hear a song that strikes the mood and within a couple of clicks you are able to play that entire album.

I don't know about you, but I often find albums vary widely in the mood and pace between tracks so that could backfire. I like what AUDIOBREEDER suggested above, have the music analyzed (likely by beats per minute combined with genre tagging) and categorized. It would be awesome if you could then teach the app how you feel about the moods it detected.

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #12,034 of 14,773
I tried sens-me and it is based on BPM , don't know if  the genre tag comes to play as my classical music sometimes you find Oddities in sens me channels f.e a relaxing adagio as energetic What?!

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #12,035 of 14,773
Quick question: I currently use the ZX2 in conjunction with a Fostex HP-V1 tube headphone amplifier. As headphones I use the Fostex TH900 and the Sennheiser Momentum M2. Will a TRRS adapter give me any benefits? Neither the Fostex nor the Sennheiser headphone are balanced.

Another question: I have not been active here for quite some time. Has Sony ever hinted to develop a proper successor to the ZX2?

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #12,036 of 14,773
Zx2 has an app called 'SensMe channels'. What it does is, analyze all the music files and categorize it into 13 channels ranging from energetic to relaxing.
I haven't used it myself but I think you can play through the app and depending on your mood listen to what the app picks accordingly.

Analysing all of your music is a pain in the ass when your entire music collection consists of (24bit) flac files...
I have 4750 songs on my ZX2 and it would take approx. 58 hours to analyse them all.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #12,037 of 14,773
Quick question: I currently use the ZX2 in conjunction with a Fostex HP-V1 tube headphone amplifier. As headphones I use the Fostex TH900 and the Sennheiser Momentum M2. Will a TRRS adapter give me any benefits? Neither the Fostex nor the Sennheiser headphone are balanced.

Another question: I have not been active here for quite some time. Has Sony ever hinted to develop a proper successor to the ZX2?

Adapter won't help, you have to get your 900 hard wired for balanced connection and then use adapter for SE. There is no hint yet, so far.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #12,038 of 14,773

Google Play Music allows you to do this. When a song is playing, if you're on the now playing screen (if not, the song will be in a bar across the bottom, tap on it to get to the playing screen), hit the three dots in the upper right, you get a dropdown with: Start Radio (that song will continue, and it will start a radio station based off of it immediately afterwards), Add to playlist, Go to artist, Go to album, Add to library, etc. 

The little three vertical dots in Play Music, on an album, on a song, on an artist name, make quickly navigating pretty easy. The search function also works a lot better than the one that's built in to the stock app. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #12,039 of 14,773
I've got mine on sale fellow head-fiers. Not that I don't like it (really not at all
biggrin.gif
), but I ended up deciding to more reasonnable price-wise, not having that much portable needs overall. If it can be of any use for someone here...

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #12,042 of 14,773
I'm seriously finding the ZX2 is a happy medium between the super-precise analytical nature of the QP1r and the creamy analogue musicality of the AK300. Not sure if I need to get the AK as well. Do I really need it, or the Shure SE846? Given that this is Headfi, you're all going to say "both". Prolly.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #12,043 of 14,773
I'm seriously finding the ZX2 is a happy medium between the super-precise analytical nature of the QP1r and the creamy analogue musicality of the AK300. Not sure if I need to get the AK as well. Do I really need it, or the Shure SE846? Given that this is Headfi, you're all going to say "both". Prolly.

ak, no
846 , there are probably better(and cheaper) (c)iems out there , so probably no again

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #12,044 of 14,773

If you've got a ZX2, I would highly recommend the SE846 with a TRRS plug.

I've had the Layla v.2 (balanced) and KSE1500 with me to play with the ZX2, but yet, I still go back to the SE846 balanced every time.  Note that these 2 cost 2.5x and 3x the price of 846...

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #12,045 of 14,773
If you've got a ZX2, I would highly recommend the SE846 with a TRRS plug.

I've had the Layla v.2 (balanced) and KSE1500 with me to play with the ZX2, but yet, I still go back to the SE846 balanced every time.  Note that these 2 cost 2.5x and 3x the price of 846...

High praise indeed for the 846 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back