SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #11,071 of 14,773
The android 4.2 point has made me change the way I'm using my zx2. Originally I had planned to keep my tidal subscription and use that for all music that i would listen to. However I figured the best way to future proof system requirements for tidal would be for me to start using the Sony player and ripped CDs. So...I've now ripped my collection (first time those boxes have been out of the garage in years - I'm a vinyl guy for home listening), cancelled tidal and reckon that the £20 I'll save will get me a handful of CDs each month to build my collection that way. It does seem strange though buying a cd, ripping it and then putting it on a shelf likely to never open the case again. My big worry is that the BBC iplayer radio is changed so needs more than 4.2 as I listen to live and downloaded shows on that a lot - and whilst the bit rate is not the highest the zx2 makes them sound much much better than on an iPhone.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #11,072 of 14,773
The android 4.2 point has made me change the way I'm using my zx2. Originally I had planned to keep my tidal subscription and use that for all music that i would listen to. However I figured the best way to future proof system requirements for tidal would be for me to start using the Sony player and ripped CDs. So...I've now ripped my collection (first time those boxes have been out of the garage in years - I'm a vinyl guy for home listening), cancelled tidal and reckon that the £20 I'll save will get me a handful of CDs each month to build my collection that way. It does seem strange though buying a cd, ripping it and then putting it on a shelf likely to never open the case again. My big worry is that the BBC iplayer radio is changed so needs more than 4.2 as I listen to live and downloaded shows on that a lot - and whilst the bit rate is not the highest the zx2 makes them sound much much better than on an iPhone.

Oh, you gotta check out the new Sony turn table that can Rip Vynil directly into DSD :D, have you seen it yet ?

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #11,073 of 14,773
Oh, you gotta check out the new Sony turn table that can Rip Vynil directly into DSD
biggrin.gif
, have you seen it yet ?

how easily you can tell a person who has not heard all these TOP CLASS QUALITY vinyl rips done by people out there who do it for free and for the love of the music 
tongue.gif

god bless them for all the money i never spent on these hires sites and used them for totl iems instead 
tongue.gif

also , i guess people do not download music from various places in the net ? i see.....

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #11,074 of 14,773
I rip my vinyl from an LP12 to a Sound Devices 702 for portable use, but a lot of the recent high res releases are even better. But I still really like listening to my music in 'sides'.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #11,076 of 14,773

....unless you have vinyl that isn't scratched, ( Which is rare, really. ) I don't see the point in buying one of these ?

Somebody will sell you software that removes the sound of scratches and pops ..... :rolleyes. I agree with you. A digital rip of vinyl isn't likely to sound better in any meaningful way than simply getting the digital version anyway. Still, if people have a large vinyl collection in good condition, without digital versions already it would make sense.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #11,077 of 14,773
Somebody will sell you software that removes the sound of scratches and pops ..... :rolleyes. I agree with you. A digital rip of vinyl isn't likely to sound better in any meaningful way than simply getting the digital version anyway. Still, if people have a large vinyl collection in good condition, without digital versions already it would make sense.

ROFLMAO, yeah all very good points. The thing is that Sony is going to release new vynil albums and remastered old school stuff....they don't only sell this turn tables for old scrapping Vynil:D

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #11,078 of 14,773

....unless you have vinyl that isn't scratched, ( Which is rare, really. ) I don't see the point in buying one of these ?

well, archival purposes, or you want to take your vinyl collection on the go and don't want to repurchase it in another format?

Not to mention most digital downloads are apparently taken from CD masters and "restorations' which are often quite different from the original mixing which might be difficult to obtain in digital format outside of ripping it yourself.

Not that it's something you couldn't do before with just a generic turntable, preamp and an ADC interface or specialized phono converter (like PS Nuwave)- some people might prefer the blackbox/one-package/simplified solution or want to stay within Sony brand for whatever reason...

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #11,079 of 14,773
  well, archival purposes, or you want to take your vinyl collection on the go and don't want to repurchase it in another format?

Not to mention most digital downloads are apparently taken from CD masters and "restorations' which are often quite different from the original mixing which might be difficult to obtain in digital format outside of ripping it yourself.

Not that it's something you couldn't do before with just a generic turntable, preamp and an ADC interface or specialized phono converter (like PS Nuwave)- some people might prefer the blackbox/one-package/simplified solution or want to stay within Sony brand for whatever reason...

I see your valid points....and thinking about it, I do have some vinyl LP's that have never  been released on CD. Not forgetting my fairly large collection of 45's.
I'd have to be convinced of the softwear solution's to remove scratch / pop noise, though !     

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #11,082 of 14,773

how easily you can tell a person who has not heard all these TOP CLASS QUALITY vinyl rips done by people out there who do it for free and for the love of the music 
tongue.gif

god bless them for all the money i never spent on these hires sites and used them for totl iems instead 
tongue.gif

also , i guess people do not download music from various places in the net ? i see.....

People with "love of the music" do not steal it ... or make it easy for other thieves to do so  
mad.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #11,083 of 14,773
Not sure if my collection would be ! ? lol​ ( From '73 onwards. ) My partner has a very large, valuable & rare collection of Soundtrack LP's  e.t.c.

Actually 3-4 years back, there was an article about a guy selling his whole collection for more than a million :D. They are very valuable you know ? Especially if companies want to revive them or re-master them, you never know

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #11,084 of 14,773
Hey, i have a question for advanced users of nw-zx2.
I've just installed PowerAmp Alpha and it sounds great for me but here is an annoying issue. When i push a play/pause button in stand by mode my nw-zx2 automatically starts default sony player instead of Power Amp. So i have to turn the screen on, manualy pause the deafault player and only after that start PowerAmp.
So the question is: any chance to disable default player and associate PowerAmp with the Play/Pause button?

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #11,085 of 14,773
Hey, i have a question for advanced users of nw-zx2.
I've just installed PowerAmp Alpha and it sounds great for me but here is an annoying issue. When i push a play/pause button in stand by mode my nw-zx2 automatically starts default sony player instead of Power Amp. So i have to turn the screen on, manualy pause the deafault player and only after that start PowerAmp.
So the question is: any chance to disable default player and associate PowerAmp with the Play/Pause button?

You can tap the multi Windows button and then swipe close the stock player before opening the Poweramp alpha....it is still tricky as it is still in the alpha stage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back