SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #8,687 of 14,773
Yes, that's probably the worst part... They thought it was a cell or an ipod, lol. Probably not much of a market for them stolen.

T​ell them to call me, I'll give them a good price for thee ZX2.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,688 of 14,773
gonna try the gonemad music player (trial 14-day version) , it has folder search and the feedback is good

he who seeks,finds 
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #8,690 of 14,773
  gonna try the gonemad music player (trial 14-day version) , it has folder search and the feedback is good

he who seeks,finds 
tongue.gif

Or gets lost and confused, no guarantees.​

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #8,693 of 14,773
  Or gets lost and confused, no guarantees.​

since we are talking about music players for the sony , this one definitely is one to try

GoneMad

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp&hl=en

i don't know if it's my UM miracles or my very well mastered music (bryan ferry - boys and girls , vinyl rip)

but i really like what i am listening 

plus it supports 'search by folders' (hallelujah 
tongue.gif
)

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #8,694 of 14,773
Yes, it sucks. I wanted to cry for a few days, but I'm over it now. I do miss the zx2...if the Onkyo or X7 isn't as nice, I'm getting another zx2. Just truly curious about the other daps.

I​ have a really good feeling about the Onkyo.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #8,695 of 14,773
first impressions regarding various music players 

i have installed and tried out the following

gonemad
onkyo
neutron

let's start by eliminating the weakest link , and this is ... neutron 

the UI cause me headache , i can try it for 4 days but i already decided that it's not worth 

in fact i already uninstalled it from zx2

the remaining 2 players sound great and much better than the sony stock player

onkyo trial is free and sounds great, however it's a bummer that it doesn't support search by folder 

great sound though and amazing-balls EQ system , so definitely a keeper

gonemad also sounds great , and supports search by folder which is a must-have for me

however it is only free for 14 days and you must pay for it (4 euros though , so no biggie)

so i will keep the onkyo free version and i will buy the gonemad full version

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #8,697 of 14,773
Tried the famous apps and i'm going to give my 2 cents worth:

In Order of Sound Quality only:

1) Neutron
Best sounding with good emphasis on vocals. I think what sets this app apart from the rest is that the bass is within the low range frequency and does not bleed as much into the mids or cloud the mids. Has lots of other options in regards to sound control but probably not needed to be adjusted. I did however, found out a heavy hiss after every track, and the interface is still very complicated and unfriendly after all these years. Unable to adjust master volume in apps, have to go back to home to up the master volume.

2) Onkyo
Similar to Neutron, its the only other app where I found the bass to be hitting the lower frequencies and not bleed into mids too much. The downside is the lack of a folder directory, unpleasant for those of us who depends on file arrangements as other search options like singer is not standardized across different albums.

3) Sony Player, Jetaudio, Gonemad
All the above sounds about the same when audio quality goes, I use the UM Mentor and the mid bass can be too hard hitting at times. Might be due to preference as I listen mostly to pop songs where vocals and bass should be well separated. However, these three apps have the best presentation, resulting in ease of use and a pretty player. Sony player sometimes does not show album art.

Some apps conflict with others when play button is pressed, I suggest moving the default Sony App widget into another window separate from the home button. Some other apps also interfere with the play button, so best to try everything out, decide whats best and delete the rest of the app leaving perhaps 1 or 2 active.

At the moment, I should be using Onkyo primarily, until the Onkyo player comes out, perhaps they will implement the folder directory function.

Lastly, I want to add that under settings, disabling the sound enhancement app does not seem to do any changes to the other apps. The function seems exclusively built into Sony Music Player only.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #8,698 of 14,773
Well, i have tried only the onkyo hf app till now,

if that is sounding the same as turning sound adjustments off, then may be i couldn't hear any changes before because it took some time going between sound adjustments on and off, so it was hard comparing..

but now going from onkyo to stock and back is much easier to compare and i definitely hear changes in sound,

the onkyo has a more clean and clear sound, and i guess it is so because it loses the bass emphasize added by the stock app, to me the onkyo sounded more neutral and balanced, but also to me this signature is very flat and kinda boring,

when switching to the stock player, the sound seems more engaging and musical to my ears, even though it loses some clarity,

other wise the onkyo seems to have a solid EQ which is very nice.

so if the stock app seems too colored for some users or has too much bass, then i guess going with the onkyo and altering the EQ could put you in a sweet spot in the middle, between very flat sound and very bassy sound.

as for sound stage and air flow, i couldn't reach a significant difference while directly comparing multiple songs.

but with default settings without altering any eq between the two apps, i would definitely go with the stock app as the onkyo sounds very flat for me.

i think its about signature and what you prefer, but for me using the se846 with the onkyo, i lose all the oomph that makes me go crazy :D

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #8,699 of 14,773
I agreed with kingdixon and muscular. The sound adjustment bad effects are only to the built in stock Sony apps. It is very crazy how the sounds would changes with different apps. But to me, I prefer Onkyo...once again, a proof that I am a fan of neutral and flat kind of guys :D.

I tried gonemad, and it also sound good, even though I don't use EQ functions, I still prefer to have it, so I prefer Onkyo player. Just by looking at the graphs dancing is awesome for me :D.

Out of all apps, I do think power amp and neutron are the most complicated ......!

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #8,700 of 14,773
if onkyo implements the 'search by folder' option it will be the one to have as the full package

until then, i will also keep gonemad as a complimentary player since it does everything right without much fuss

ps : neutron can go to hell, i am trying to listen to music , not make a neutron bomb 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back