SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,701 of 14,773
Would anyone here mind helping me compare HDP R10 to NW-ZX2? Thanks in advance

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,704 of 14,773
Just talked to Sony Canada. I will send back my zx2 tomorrow by purolater. They pay for that. Instead of waiting until that gets processed I ordered another one and should have it by the weekend. I also got $25 off. Let's hope this one has better battery life, though I think chances are it's unlikely to be different than my cureent unit. What are the odds that I would be the only one with a bad battery? I think Sony battery times are set on absolute perfect conditions and us mortals cannot match those conditions, at least not with android. But, if everyone else is honest and accurate with their battery times then my time is definitely lacking. 15 hours MP3 and only 35% battery left? Not good.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,705 of 14,773

Thanks for the response, and no worries about your backside, I'm a "caveat emptor" kind of guy!  Everyone should know that taste is a personal thing, and everyone will have a different perception of what they hear.  The tough part, I think for most of us to a certain degree, is to have a lot of money invested in equipment, and then to hear that somebody likes something else better.  We almost take it personally sometimes.  Oh well, I take it all with a grain of salt!  Thanks again.

Bingo! That is very true and probably more so with competitor brands.
Whats worse is when people will comment negatively to something they never even heard.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #2,706 of 14,773
Sorry you had to go through that Spatzi, this is why I cancelled my order initially.  I was probably going to get one in the same batch as you and I am sure they would have had simillar issues.  I am very curious if the new batches have this issue resolved.  I was also hoping to look at one at my local sony store here in richmond bc, but nope all gone.  

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2,707 of 14,773
Sorry you had to go through that Spatzi, this is why I cancelled my order initially.  I was probably going to get one in the same batch as you and I am sure they would have had simillar issues.  I am very curious if the new batches have this issue resolved.  I was also hoping to look at one at my local sony store here in richmond bc, but nope all gone.  

Sony Store is still open? On the phone they told me all stores were closed already. I was going to take it back to the store to speed up the exchange process but did it all over the phone because he told me the stores were closed. I think i already have one of the later models as my serial number starts with 501 which is much later than what others have posted here.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,708 of 14,773
Sony Store is still open? On the phone they told me all stores were closed already. I was going to take it back to the store to speed up the exchange process but did it all over the phone because he told me the stores were closed. I think i already have one of the later models as my serial number starts with 501 which is much later than what others have posted here.

There are still a few left.

http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.store.listing

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2,709 of 14,773
Fed Ex just delivered My son & I's New NW ZX-2.
See you guys later with some impressions.
basshead.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,710 of 14,773
Just talked to Sony Canada. I will send back my zx2 tomorrow by purolater. They pay for that. Instead of waiting until that gets processed I ordered another one and should have it by the weekend. I also got $25 off. Let's hope this one has better battery life, though I think chances are it's unlikely to be different than my cureent unit. What are the odds that I would be the only one with a bad battery? I think Sony battery times are set on absolute perfect conditions and us mortals cannot match those conditions, at least not with android. But, if everyone else is honest and accurate with their battery times then my time is definitely lacking. 15 hours MP3 and only 35% battery left? Not good.

There is a set standard on how Sony or other brands test their units, and it's never a results a consumers will get.

low light, continuous play back loop without touching the unit, volume set low, type of headphones used, what apps are running, and may be room temperature.

Yours is the Japan version, and Sony Canada accepted it, did you mention you got if from Japan

just a few example, but who know what actual settings they use.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,711 of 14,773
There is a set standard on how Sony or other brands test their units, and it's never a results a consumers will get.

low light, continuous play back loop without touching the unit, volume set low, type of headphones used, what apps are running, and may be room temperature.

Yours is the Japan version, and Sony Canada accepted it, did you mention you got if from Japan

Japan version? They are all made in Malaysia as far as I know. Different versions with different battery times? This is news to me. They should all be the same.

I use these settings: lowest light, continuous play (MP3) check battery once every hour (15 sec screen time, which is negligent drain on battery), volume is very low, every possible app that can be shut off and still get the unit to actually play has been shut off.

You can't get any more conservative than my current settings and they are still nowhere near Sony's claim. I have yet to even break 20 hours in the two weeks I have had it. Claims that 'battery need to be charged five time to get its full potential' also not correct.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #2,712 of 14,773

Japan version? They are all made in Malaysia as far as I know. Different versions with different battery times? This is news to me. They should all be the same.

I use these settings: lowest light, continuous play, check battery once every hour (15 sec screen time, which is negligent drain on battery), volume is very low, every possible app thst can be shut off and still get the unit to actually play has been shut off.

You can't get any more conservative than my current settings and they are still nowhere near Sony's claim. I have yet to even break 20 hours in the two weeks I have had it. Claims that 'battery need to be charged five time to get its full potential' also not correct.

Japan version does not mean it has to made in Japan, your unit was purchased from Japan, and the serial number is registered for Japan use, one's sold outside of Japan is considered an international version, just the same for a UK version and US version, and I doubt Sony checks there battery status every hour.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,713 of 14,773
Japan version does not mean it has to made in Japan, your unit was purchased from Japan, and the serial number is registered for Japan use, one's sold outside of Japan is considered an international version, just the same for a UK version and US version, and I doubt Sony checks there battery status every hour.

You can tell it's the Japan version by 501? This is only first three digits of a seven digit number. What is 500 then? What are the differences from a 'Japan' model and international? Maybe Japan version has less battery time? Even if Sony doesn't check their battery status every hour there is no way my 15 second check on battery life every hour is cutting my battery time down by at least 50% from the Sony specs.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2,715 of 14,773

You can tell it's the Japan version by 501? This is only first three digits of a seven digit number. What is 500 then? What are the differences from a 'Japan' model and international? Maybe Japan version has less battery time? Even if Sony doesn't check their battery status every hour there is no way my 15 second check on battery life every hour is cutting my battery time down by at least 50% from the Sony specs.

I'm not arguing where you have problems with your unit, all I'm saying is, there is no way for you to mimic the test condition what Sony has used, and normally most companies states actual times vary from different conditions.

And you are also getting the information mixed up, I'm not stating there are differences between version, what I'm saying is Sony does not provide international warranty service apart from item purchases sold as export models, and the ZX2 is not one of them.

so I'm not to sure why Canada is doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back