SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #14,221 of 14,773
I realize that I may be getting some biased answers here since it's a ZX2 thread but what the hell:

Do you think a used ZX2 at around $400 is a better buy than a used WM1A at $750? At that price, I could get the ZX2 right now and maybe have chump change for an IEM upgrade while the WM1A will take me about another week. Also, I noticed that dual DAC is the trend these days and it does sound fantastic - since these two only have a single DAC and it's a proprietary one, do you think its SQ is still superior or comparable to say... dual Sabres of the DP-X1 or dual Cirrus Logics of the ak70 mkii/ak120ii?

PS: For what it's worth, I will only be using IEMs so power isn't going to be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #14,222 of 14,773
I realize that I may be getting some biased answers here since it's a ZX2 thread but what the hell:

Do you think a used ZX2 at around $400 is a better buy than a used WM1A at $750? At that price, I could get the ZX2 right now and maybe have chump change for an IEM upgrade while the WM1A will take me about another week. Also, I noticed that dual DAC is the trend these days and it does sound fantastic - since these two only have a single DAC and it's a proprietary one, do you think its SQ is still superior or comparable to say... dual Sabres of the DP-X1 or dual Cirrus Logics of the ak70 mkii/ak120ii?

PS: For what it's worth, I will only be using IEMs so power isn't going to be an issue for me.
It really depends on what sound signature attributes you value. I owned the DP-X1, but have only heard the ZX2 on a few occasions. The ZX2 is rupted to have a warm, and musical signature with less focus on intense detail retrieval. Most Sabre based DAC implementations seem to be perceived as very detail focused, even at worst sterile for some. It depends what you most value. If you want warmth and musicality that may sacrifice a little detail, the ZX2 is I'm sure a really nice sounding DAP. Personally, I think $400 used might be high no matter how lovely and top-tier it was/is. My concern would be the age. If it can be confirmed to be fairly new and not years old, ok, $400 is acceptable. If it is several years old with many charge/discharge cycles on the battery, that might be worth considering. There are many nice DAP options at around $400 so it will be important for you to really decide what sound signature and features are important to you.

I know that right now power isn't important to you, but is there any chance that may change? Lots to consider, but however you go, I'm sure that you'll have a great DAP. The ZX2 is beloved for a reason.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #14,228 of 14,773
I haven't been looking into this thread for awhile, so not sure if it is known here or reported. Recently I noticed that Spotify updated their app and it finally recognised the ZX2 'System Storage' which is the massive storage area as compared to previously it only recognised the small partition of 'Internal Storage'.

Now when I try to download the Songs from Spotify offline mode, it stores into the 'System Storage' 110GB finally and I won't be limited and bottle neck by the 'Internal Storage' of 2GB.
Spotify updated the UI to reflect the available space as well in the app which is more user friendly.

44043720071_ef89dba42a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #14,229 of 14,773
I haven't been looking into this thread for awhile, so not sure if it is known here or reported. Recently I noticed that Spotify updated their app and it finally recognised the ZX2 'System Storage' which is the massive storage area as compared to previously it only recognised the small partition of 'Internal Storage'.

Now when I try to download the Songs from Spotify offline mode, it stores into the 'System Storage' 110GB finally and I won't be limited and bottle neck by the 'Internal Storage' of 2GB.
Spotify updated the UI to reflect the available space as well in the app which is more user friendly.

Although I only use me ZX2 as a pure play only DAP it's good to know, and many will find it use full.

Thanks

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #14,230 of 14,773
I am super happy and delighted when I saw this earlier and I immediately start to trigger the download offline mode to have Spotify start to fill up my storage. I do stream a lot from Spotify actually :darthsmile:. ZX2 remains the only latest SONY walkman that supports Spotify and Tidal streaming and now with the storage issue resolved, its EPIC :o2smile::ksc75smile:

Was tempted to move to WM1A for the balanced output but then it has no option for Spotify lol hahaha...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #14,231 of 14,773
I am super happy and delighted when I saw this earlier and I immediately start to trigger the download offline mode to have Spotify start to fill up my storage. I do stream a lot from Spotify actually :darthsmile:. ZX2 remains the only latest SONY walkman that supports Spotify and Tidal streaming and now with the storage issue resolved, its EPIC :o2smile::ksc75smile:

Was tempted to move to WM1A for the balanced output but then it has no option for Spotify lol hahaha...
You can reterminate the iem to use on the ZX2 to get trrs, which is somewhat similar to balanced.

I also have the ZX300, but I somewhat like the sound sig on the ZX2 better.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #14,232 of 14,773
I need to use my ZX2 more. I prefer the sound of the ZX2 more than the ZX300 on IEMs but for harder to drive phones such as the HD800, I have to go with the ZX300. So my main player this day is the ZX300 and I also have the 1Z and ZX2. 1Z is hardly portable if you ask me.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #14,233 of 14,773

Hey, this is great news, indeed. While I do most of my listening using my own files, I occasionally find it useful to stream, be it to explore new music or to get music which is not easily accessible where I live. So this is a solution to a minor but potentially significant annoyance in the ZX2 with Spotify. Thanks for sharing!

Do you know what version of Spotify for Android includes this new feature? I updated the app in my ZX2 via Play Store, but Spotify still doesn't "see" the internal storage of the ZX2. Is there anything I may be doing wrong?

Again, thanks for any tips/suggestions...

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #14,234 of 14,773
I usually just Update all apps under the Play Store :gs1000smile: but the version is as below 8.4.67.886 armV7

Are you able to get that bar graph as in my screenshot earlier?

44194089881_eed62d0e95.jpg

Hey, this is great news, indeed. While I do most of my listening using my own files, I occasionally find it useful to stream, be it to explore new music or to get music which is not easily accessible where I live. So this is a solution to a minor but potentially significant annoyance in the ZX2 with Spotify. Thanks for sharing!

Do you know what version of Spotify for Android includes this new feature? I updated the app in my ZX2 via Play Store, but Spotify still doesn't "see" the internal storage of the ZX2. Is there anything I may be doing wrong?

Again, thanks for any tips/suggestions...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #14,235 of 14,773
I usually just Update all apps under the Play Store :gs1000smile: but the version is as below 8.4.67.886 armV7

Are you able to get that bar graph as in my screenshot earlier?

44194089881_eed62d0e95.jpg
[/QUO
TE]

Thanks, once again, for helping out!
Yes, I get the graph bar as per your previous picture and version is the same (8.4.67.886armV7). Curiously, the text stating the Spotify version appears "unlighted" (not brilliant, as when it's an option available to touch and open further options/info, but darkened, as when it's blocked or anavailable to explore any further). In your pic, it looks "bright". I don't know if this is of any relevance (I tend to think it's not), but it caught my attention, as Spotify still has the problem of not "seeing" the full internal memory of the ZX2. I'm now updating other apps, to see if it helps. I'm going to try logging off my Spotify account, because I'm still unsuccessful, and will report what happens, just in case anyone else in interested in this and is having the same problem.
If any other suggestions come to anyone's mind, I will greatly appreaciate them.
Rock on!
DSC_2486.JPG
DSC_2485.JPG
DSC_2486.JPG
DSC_2485.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back