SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 1, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #10,458 of 14,773
Has anyone possibly think about modding their Zx2 for more power output yet ? Just curious. I am talking to a couple electrical engineer friends, and the conversation seems very exciting
biggrin.gif

​Do it at your own Risk LOL, warranty void if A) seal removed, B) screws removed C) Sony emplyee see other components or signs of tamper or D) ALL of above :-D

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10,460 of 14,773
Sony put thick wire on the ZX2, i don't think you can gain much by changing wire, best mod maybe to change c[COLOR=3F3F3F]apacitor or chip coil.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=3F3F3F]Parts are cheap but not the ZX2.[/COLOR]

Sony uses 3 OS-con pre-amplification of 47 mf and then 4 OS-con for amplifying at 100mf each. Then there are Pop-Caps which is used for main sound tunning. So the 7 OS-cons can be upgraded. Everything can be upgraded, dual clock can be upgraded to Femto clock cells if wanted...lol, but the clocks are behind the board...so....

Anyways, the plan can be as simple as 3 pre-amp = 82mf and 4 amp cap can be 220 mf :D. That should be an improvement already

Modding thread created. Let's see some real discussions

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796955/nw-zx2-possible-diy-upgrades-and-modifications

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #10,461 of 14,773
Yes, if this fine sounding DAP could be made a little more powerful, okay, a lot more, and quieter background it would be an astoundingly good DAP, perhaps at the top of the heap of musical DAPs?

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #10,463 of 14,773
It can be made more powerful just add the PHA3.

I know you're trying to be funny, but no, who in their right mind wants two devices and bloody wires stuffed in their pockets commuting to work on a crowded bus when they can have one device.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #10,466 of 14,773
I have done that with my a17 and ifi micro idsd :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, but if one device would do it for you are you saying you prefer the added bulk and cables, or it is just the sound quality you target? With better single device solutions coming onto the market with increasing frequency, unless somebody wants to there will soon be very little reason to have two devices when one will do just fine.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #10,467 of 14,773
  Indeed, the fi in head-fi is short for fidelity so I'm guessing most members are seeking best SQ over convenience. 

I owned a PHA3 and A17 with both the MDR 1A and Z7. I can assure you the Onkyo DP-X1 sounds every bit as good, if not better than the A17/PHA3. At this level of sound reproduction quality you are talking about sound signature preference more than sound quality differences. I think having one capable device is very compelling, not to mention the Onkyo streams very well so that is not a small consideration. Anyway, mark my words, there are going to be more and more quality, smart one device portable rigs over multiple device stacks in just a few short years. Now I am talking primarily for those who use portable as I do, stuffing into a coat pocket to walk or commute with public transit to work. If essentially you call portable being able to bring the unit easily enough back and forth from home to work or whatever, well yes, that is also portable, and two devices is fine there, but that is a different type of portable user. One device baby, two is just inefficient if one will do.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #10,468 of 14,773
Yes, but if one device would do it for you are you saying you prefer the added bulk and cables, or it is just the sound quality you target? With better single device solutions coming onto the market with increasing frequency, unless somebody wants to there will soon be very little reason to have two devices when one will do just fine.
I totally agreed with you. If only i have that much money to buy one portable device that have comparable sq to portable dac/amp or desktop one.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #10,470 of 14,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back