SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #586 of 14,773

Both the PHA-2 and PHA-3 will come with a short WM-PORT to mini/ micro USB cable that will carry a digital out siginal from the: F880, A10, ZX1/ 2 Walkmans. 

The WMC-NWH10 cable is only necessary when outputting digital out signal to a non Sony PHA device, such as an USB DAC from another manufacturer. Some of the Sony wireless speaker range (SRS-X9) will also requires the WMC-NWH10 for the above Walkmans to connect digitally.

Is this from practical experience or a quote from somewhere. Reason I ask is that I have the ZX1 and I have the PHA3 and the short cable you refer to does not work.
The only way to get the ZX1 to work with the PHA3 using digital output is with the NWH10 cable, just like the Hugo.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #587 of 14,773
I have both the ZX1 and the PHA-2 and the supplied cable works without issue. I was also able to try out a PHA-3 with the ZX1 at a Sony event late year. Although the supplied walkman USB cable is different (PHA-2 uses a mini-USB head, whilst the PHA-3 accepts a micro USB head) both worked fine with the ZX1 acting as a digital transport.

Switching the PHA on/ off and then playing a track from the Walkman usually does the trick if I am not getting any audio output from the PHA.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #588 of 14,773

Don't know about you, but I usually select a song then turn the screen off, not select a song to then start counting pixels 
biggrin.gif
 The extra pixels are completely wasted on a Dap. A phone has a proper need for it due to web browsing, photo, video etc. But a Dap has no need for it whatsoever. My LG G3 phone has a 5.5" 2560x1440 LCD, and it still only displays the same 6-7 songs as the ZX1 in each page full list. Then there is the fact that a higher res screen is more expensive, draws more power from battery, takes more cpu power to run smooth, and could possibly create more electrical noise. So no thank you on all accounts.

To each their own, I'm a screen junkie love lush colours and high constrast. In any case why have album art only to view it on an average screen. Also since it has Android therefore internet + images and so on, a better screen is needed. So like I said to each their own.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #589 of 14,773
Don't know about you, but I usually select a song then turn the screen off, not select a song to then start counting pixels :D  The extra pixels are completely wasted on a Dap. A phone has a proper need for it due to web browsing, photo, video etc. But a Dap has no need for it whatsoever. My LG G3 phone has a 5.5" 2560x1440 LCD, and it still only displays the same 6-7 songs as the ZX1 in each page full list. Then there is the fact that a higher res screen is more expensive, draws more power from battery, takes more cpu power to run smooth, and could possibly create more electrical noise. So no thank you on all accounts.

Then again, they kinda half-assed it by throwing the Triluminos brand in there.
Better wait for the ZX3 with True Sony Cinema Display™ that will give you a portable theater experience.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #590 of 14,773

To each their own, I'm a screen junkie love lush colours and high constrast. In any case why have album art only to view it on an average screen. Also since it has Android therefore internet + images and so on, a better screen is needed. So like I said to each their own.

I think the ZX2 screen resolution is enough for me.  Going with a "retina" screen may also shortchange the battery.  I think that's the main reason why Sony went away from using higher resolution screen on this DAP.  Then again, I would also welcome a higher resolution screen as well.  Maybe it will be available on the ZX3.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #592 of 14,773
  I have both the ZX1 and the PHA-2 and the supplied cable works without issue. I was also able to try out a PHA-3 with the ZX1 at a Sony event late year. Although the supplied walkman USB cable is different (PHA-2 uses a mini-USB head, whilst the PHA-3 accepts a micro USB head) both worked fine with the ZX1 acting as a digital transport.

Switching the PHA on/ off and then playing a track from the Walkman usually does the trick if I am not getting any audio output from the PHA.

No idea about PHA2 I was asking about the PHA3. Switching on and off does the trick when the NWH10 plays up but with the supplied cable nothing just music through the NX1 itself.
Any actual owners of ZX1 and PHA 3 who can comment?

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #593 of 14,773
Jan 15, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #594 of 14,773

You might draw your own conclusions (to some extent) from these posts:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-microsd-slot-33-hours-hi-res-playback/300#post_11203642
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-microsd-slot-33-hours-hi-res-playback/315#post_11205283

Obviously, nothing conclusive, but if Sony are showing the ZX2 and Z7, in their own publicity shots, with the PHA-3, then...

Looks like your speculations are correct.  I was hoping for a small power boost from the ZX1, just for the sake of my Z7s.  But it ain't a deal breaker by any means.  I'll still enjoy my DT1350s and my next pair of Grados directly out of them I'm sure...

As for screens, I say put the most efficient panel possible in there.  I don't want the screen to be the reason I lose play time between charges...

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #595 of 14,773

As for screens, I say put the most efficient panel possible in there.  I don't want the screen to be the reason I lose play time between charges...

Within reason, I have to agree with you on that.

Actually, I had no particular complaints about the ZX1 screen, so as long as the ZX2 screen is the same or better, then it should be fine. It is an audio device, first & foremost, after all.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #597 of 14,773
Soo,the zx2 will have the same driving power as zx1 and that means it will only be for iems and easy to drive headfones.Kinda underwhelming for that price but i expected as much based on the battery duration.What suprised me was that they said that ak240 is still the king in sq although it was better obviously than zx1.I quess the gap in sq was much bigger between ak240 and zx1 than what i was reading in the forums.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #598 of 14,773
Sent an email to Sony Australia asking if they plan to release the ZX2 player and what time period to wait if so, received response below

"
Code:
 In regards to your query, there is no current estimated time of arrival for when the product will be available until it actually shows up as available from Sony store online.

In other words, I have no idea what your talking about so you get the super diplomatic (BS) response.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #599 of 14,773
  Sent an email to Sony Australia asking if they plan to release the ZX2 player and what time period to wait if so, received response below

"
Code:
 In regards to your query, there is no current estimated time of arrival for when the product will be available until it actually shows up as available from Sony store online.

In other words, I have no idea what your talking about so you get the super diplomatic (BS) response.

If you fancy some 'fun', send them another email, asking them 'if they plan to release the NWH10 cable and what time period to wait if so' 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back