SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 21, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,638 of 14,773
  After several hours using and listening to it, I found several limitations (to say it politely).. The 1st one is the rotation lock widget is not working. To lock the screen rotation, I must set it in the display setting. Could be just software bug and should be able to be fixed w/ firmware update. Next is the background. This is not the clearest player out-of-the-box. I can hear smooth hiss. It was not loud but still heard even when the music playing. I do not know whether my unit is faulty or anyone mentioned that it was one of players w/ black background did not use quite sensitive headphones (or ears). I use Grado GR10. In context of sound quality, it is not bothering. But in relation to the very high price, it is really bothering me. Will it disapear after a 100-hour burn session? I do not know. I belief that.. they did not know either! The last thing is the compatibility of 3rd-party software. I can only play 24/192 WAV and higher-res formats (incl. DSD) using sony's player. I can play 24/192 FLAC and 24/96-and-below WAV using Powerplayer. Powerplayer recognized the 24/192 WAVs but cannot play them and it recognized falsely most (if not all) of the 24-bit WAVs as 32-bit. Google Music Player can only play 16/44 WAV and below (lossy formats). The hi-res formats were played w/ coarse static noise. Sony NW-ZX2 is not compatible w/ USB Audio Player (even Google Play does not allow to install it).

I tried a XBA-Z5 and a Fostex TH-900 but I don't hear a hiss during playback.   For the USB, are you talking about external source?  if so, you need a separate cable that costs roughly 2000yen  http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/mikasacamera/item/4905524951448/

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,639 of 14,773
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, or if anyone knows about it.

Sony has released a BT cord MUC MIBT1 for the XBA Z5, A3 or A2 phone, play back time isn't much, and I'm not sure if it supports LDAC.

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M1BT1/store-w/

I'm not sure what the power is for my three phone's, I have the XBA 3, EX600 and the EX800ST.
Does anyone knows if the ZX2 can handle them.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,640 of 14,773

yeah, i hear or at least enjoy music at lower volumes (not too low of course) than louder..same thing with bass because too much bass always sounds or feels distorted (hello rice rocket cars).  But I was commenting on his "Volume is not their strongest point."   Will vary on file to file (music to music) of course, but still never had to go to max at any point, not even near it.

I meant to say that volume was louder on older Walkmen, 6 or 7 years back. But it's a matter of taste, some love music loud, some others don't. I didn't mean to start an argument on Walkman volume, it was just a curiosity about ZX2.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,641 of 14,773
I meant to say that volume was louder on older Walkmen, 6 or 7 years back. But it's a matter of taste, some love music loud, some others don't. I didn't mean to start an argument on Walkman volume, it was just a curiosity about ZX2.

curious because i Note the Volume of my A17 to be louder than previous walkman by 2-notches, e.g what it used to be vol. 12 on my A818 no it´s vol. 10 on my A17

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,642 of 14,773
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, or if anyone knows about it.

Sony has released a BT cord MUC MIBT1 for the XBA Z5, A3 or A2 phone, play back time isn't much, and I'm not sure if it supports LDAC.

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M1BT1/store-w/

I'm not sure what the power is for my three phone's, I have the XBA 3, EX600 and the EX800ST.
Does anyone knows if the ZX2 can handle them.

it doesn't do hi-res audio, up to 44.1

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,643 of 14,773
After several hours using and listening to it, I found several limitations (to say it politely).. The 1st one is the rotation lock widget is not working. To lock the screen rotation, I must set it in the display setting. Could be just software bug and should be able to be fixed w/ firmware update. Next is the background. This is not the clearest player out-of-the-box. I can hear smooth hiss. It was not loud but still heard even when the music playing. I do not know whether my unit is faulty or anyone mentioned that it was one of players w/ black background did not use quite sensitive headphones (or ears). I use Grado GR10. In context of sound quality, it is not bothering. But in relation to the very high price, it is really bothering me. Will it disapear after a 100-hour burn session? I do not know. I belief that.. they did not know either! The last thing is the compatibility of 3rd-party software. I can only play 24/192 WAV and higher-res formats (incl. DSD) using sony's player. I can play 24/192 FLAC and 24/96-and-below WAV using Powerplayer. Powerplayer recognized the 24/192 WAVs but cannot play them and it recognized falsely most (if not all) of the 24-bit WAVs as 32-bit. Google Music Player can only play 16/44 WAV and below (lossy formats). The hi-res formats were played w/ coarse static noise. Sony NW-ZX2 is not compatible w/ USB Audio Player (even Google Play does not allow to install it).

The hiss issues were addressed by Sony themselves, it is becausemthe OSCON and super capacity is charging up, this should go away after 40 hours....and Sony recommend 100 hours burn in ! Some people report after 40 hours, the sound improved...then after 100 hours it is heaven compare to ak240...

So idk, burn it up ?

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,645 of 14,773
  curious because i Note the Volume of my A17 to be louder than previous walkman by 2-notches, e.g what it used to be vol. 12 on my A818 no it´s vol. 10 on my A17

I haven't tried the A10's but that's a great news because volume of my old European A818 was perfect IMO. My Japanese Z1060 and ZX1 have less volume. So I think I should get the A17. Even so, I think I'm gonna take my old A818 out the drawer and dust it for a comparison because my hearing memory can fail.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,646 of 14,773

I tried a XBA-Z5 and a Fostex TH-900 but I don't hear a hiss during playback.   For the USB, are you talking about external source?  if so, you need a separate cable that costs roughly 2000yen  http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/mikasacamera/item/4905524951448/

Yes, using USB Audio Player Pro by eXtreem in particular. Search it in Google Play!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,648 of 14,773

The hiss issues were addressed by Sony themselves, it is becausemthe OSCON and super capacity is charging up, this should go away after 40 hours....and Sony recommend 100 hours burn in ! Some people report after 40 hours, the sound improved...then after 100 hours it is heaven compare to ak240...

So idk, burn it up ?

Sony says about few moments of quiet static, never mention about the 40-minute thing. And, the hiss I hear is persistent after the initial louder one

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,650 of 14,773

I had just ran from fully charged to 10% battery for 18 hrs. with music in Flac,  Aiff, 24bit192kHz to DSD format.
I am contented with the battery life...

rgds

I get more than that, lie 36 hours, but i have an A10 series and i use max 96KHz sampling rate, i have just one album at 192KHz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back