SONY NW-ZX2
May 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #11,566 of 14,770
I've mostly used my US ZX2 with the UERM and Roxanne. I've never needed more volume. It makes me wonder at the volume some of you seem to require...

May 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #11,568 of 14,770
ZX2 message was " you don't need a hard to drive headphone or iem to get the best of me " which holds true with the mighty Z5 and the worthy EX1000.
Throw away all those expensive overrated hard to drive iems and headphones and come to the "DARK SIDE":smiling_imp:

May 9, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #11,569 of 14,770
I use the ZX2 with a Roxanne and never go past 40% of volume ever.

Using it with Ether C on TRRS cable, I am around 80-85% volume. But of course, its not optimal in making the beauty of the headphones come out, but pure volume wise it still has enough power to let you hear it audibly.

May 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #11,570 of 14,770
I've mostly used my US ZX2 with the UERM and Roxanne. I've never needed more volume. It makes me wonder at the volume some of you seem to require...

It's not just about volume. You can have volume enough but still not drive the phone properly. My EU ZX2 could give me plenty of volume for the HE-500 but it was driven nowhere near its potential

May 9, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #11,571 of 14,770
  Has anyone used a Fiio L50 cable with ZX2 ? The cable looks very long ! ?  I was looking to buy a replacement L5 cable, but appear to be unavailable on Amazon U.K. for sometime now !

( Side note - Anyone else finds that Head-fi constantly crashes, taken ages to type this !! Very frustrating !!!! )

It's the reason I don't post much on here now ! 

Yes, I use both the L5 and L50 cables with the ZX2. And you're right—the L50 is quite lengthy. I doubt it's anything you'd want to utilize in mobile applications. But I find it's useful when one wants to connect the ZX2 to rack-mounted components.

May 9, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #11,572 of 14,770
  Yes, I use both the L5 and L50 cables with the ZX2. And you're right—the L50 is quite lengthy. I doubt it's anything you'd want to utilize in mobile applications. But I find it's useful when one wants to connect the ZX2 to rack-mounted components.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, not really for portable use. Don't know why Fiio cables are now so difficult to source  now ? ( U.K. )

I've just looked on Amazon. com & Ebay.com & neither ship to the U.K.

May 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #11,573 of 14,770
It's not just about volume. You can have volume enough but still not drive the phone properly. My EU ZX2 could give me plenty of volume for the HE-500 but it was driven nowhere near its potential

I think we established back on page 2 that the EU version is volume limited. My US version drives my IEM well at the volumes I use it.

May 9, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #11,574 of 14,770
I think we established back on page 2 that the EU version is volume limited. My US version drives my IEM well at the volumes I use it.

Yes and ????

May 9, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #11,575 of 14,770

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, not really for portable use. Don't know why Fiio cables are now so difficult to source  now ? ( U.K. )

I've just looked on Amazon. com & Ebay.com & neither ship to the U.K.

I was going to suggest that perhaps you could try your luck with B&H Photo. However, when I brought up the product page for the L50, it mentions that it's been discontinued:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834114-REG/Fiio_L50_L50_Line_Out_1_8.html

That might explain the increasing difficulty in locating the part.

May 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #11,576 of 14,770
  I was going to suggest that perhaps you could try your luck with B&H Photo. However, when I brought up the product page for the L50, it mentions that it's been discontinued:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834114-REG/Fiio_L50_L50_Line_Out_1_8.html

That might explain the increasing difficulty in locating the part.

Thanks for your efforts ! That's quite frustrating & a bit puzzling, because you would think that there would be a market / need for replacement cables ? I've now ordered an L50. My L5 cable is faulty, i.e. my ZX2 goes off / pauses, with movement.
I've noticed other Fiio cables, that are available, being very pricey, so they must be difficult to get hold of / about to be discontinued too ! ?

May 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #11,577 of 14,770
Thanks for your efforts ! That's quite frustrating & a bit puzzling, because you would think that there would be a market / need for replacement cables ? I've now ordered an L50. My L5 cable is faulty, i.e. my ZX2 goes off / pauses, with movement.
I've noticed other Fiio cables, that are available, being very pricey, so they must be difficult to get hold of / about to be discontinued too ! ?
Has anyone tried miccastore.com? The are actuallu a fiio distibutor in the US and carry all fiio products at normal cost! Ive bought many times from them abd have always had good service!

May 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #11,578 of 14,770
I know this is so late to the game that it's not even funny, but I thought I'd throw in my two cent about my TRRS vs single ended connection experience.  I bought my NW-ZX2 about a month ago and have been using my se846 IEMs to listen.  I'd say I have about a hundred hours on the device and the sound is really starting to impress me.  I figured it was then time to give Moon Audio a call and order the silver dragon v1 with the TRRS connection to help optimize the sound.  So....after about 4 days of listening (about 3-4 hours per day) I thought I would describe what I thought.  It definitely wasn't a blow your doors off/night and day difference.  I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be either (reverse expectation bias, lol?) so I wasn't not hugely disappointed.  I'm no audiophile so I simply strive to get my audio to sound as good as conveniently possible.  I couldn't tell if there was an improvement in separation or soundstage or detail or any of that, but I could tell there was a difference.  After carefully listening, I'm pretty sure I put my finger on it. With the se846, hissing and background noise was definitely an issue for me.  More so when I was simply powering up the device or just turning the screen on, there was always a self limited hiss.  When listening to music, the hissing, although present, was barely audible and so did not bother me too much.  Now, with the TRRS'd silver dragons, I can easily tell that the hissing/interference is essentially gone.  Once in a while I may pick it up, but I'm not sure if it's just in my head.  The music is so much clearer. I didn't realize how the hissing really affected my listening sessions.  Ultimately, I don't know if this is because of the TRRS connection or if it's because of the quality cable from Moon Audio.  I don't necessarily care one way or the other, I'm just happy I have a better listening experience.  After reading all the posts in this thread, I figure the ZX2 still has a little ways to go til its properly burned in, I can't wait to listen to the end results!

May 10, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #11,580 of 14,770
I know! I know! But can't answer that question :grin::grin::grin:

I don't see a denial, June/July it is 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back