SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,791 of 14,755
The build and the functionality of the zx2, plus run time should leave the pono DAP in it's box.
But what would be interesting, if someone could do a check, to see if the pono sound quality can come close to the zx2's audio bliss.(mission impossible cue the music) Which to me, I don't think it's possible.

I don't mind spending 3 to 4 times the money if it can, but the balanced mode is tough to beat. I had a global version slated to be delivered today but cancelled it when I couldnt get my questions answered yesterday.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5,793 of 14,755
I was looking at the X55, and nearly walked out of the Sony Centre with it, but then the sales agent tried to sell me an EOL X7 for the same price, I mentioned the LDAC on the X55 being preferable, and that is when the discussion about upcoming models started...

Liking Sony's move into this field...

If the X77 is too much bigger than the X55 then I'll backtrack and get the 55 for on the go...

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,794 of 14,755
Interesting if no-one has picked up on this, the ZX2 (at least on the Sony UK Site) has dropped in price quite dramatically...

Happy times for prospective ZX2 buyers.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #5,795 of 14,755
Interesting if no-one has picked up on this, the ZX2 (at least on the Sony UK Site) has dropped in price quite dramatically...

Happy times for prospective ZX2 buyers.

wow, that's even less than the US list of $1199 using today's rates

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #5,798 of 14,755
Street price in Germany is a little under 1.100€. I can't see any changes in the last 14 days.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #5,800 of 14,755
  Hey Guys,

The issue I ran into re: saving playlists and albums to the ZX2 looks to have been a one off glitch. Tidal HIFI quality files + the ZX2 has transformed my on the go listening experience. Granted while there's not much of the EDM I listen to on Tidal (Deep House, Tech House, Progressive House etc), what there is, is some great Jazz, Ambient, Trip-Hop, and Singer Songwriter stuff I've been lapping up. I'm discovering new music, broadening my tastes, and experiencing it all at an incredibly high level of fidelity thanks to the ZX2 and JH Audio Roxanne Universals, which leads me to the topic of this post...

Since moving from the AK240 + JH Audio Roxanne combo to the ZX2 + Roxanne I've noticed that everything I loved about the Roxanne with the AK240 is now potentially too much of a good thing with the ZX2 i.e. I thought the AK240's dynamics and pace were the perfect foil for the Roxanne's extremely organic and musical mid-range and bass. With the ZX2 I feel my self feeling as if the mid-range with the Roxanne is a touch too lush, thereby taking away a bit of the sense of timing and dynamics that's so important with relatively complex and layered EDM. Further to this I also feel the high frequency extension on the Roxanne's is again just a touch too rolled off. 

As luck would have it I have an opportunity to purchase a pair Noble K10 Universals. I'm considering doing that and want to ask the K10 users out there a few questions:

1) Aside from the discharge hiss you hear on starting the unit is there any hiss when using the K10's with the ZX2?
2) Has anyone out there gone from the Roxanne's to the K10 with the ZX2 - if so what was your experience?
3) Are there any EDM fans out there who listen to my genre's with the K10 + ZX2. If so what's your experience been?

What I'm really after is a little bit more sparkle up top with out stepping into trebble that's bright or etched while retaining a full bodied presentation through the mid-range and appropriate separation and impact through the bass. LOL. Not really asking for much! :) 

Cheers,
GS

Hi Guys - Any ZX2 + Noble K10 owners out there notice any hiss aside from the usual discharge hiss upon start-up when using the K10's?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,801 of 14,755

Hi Guys - Any ZX2 + Noble K10 owners out there notice any hiss aside from the usual discharge hiss upon start-up when using the K10's?

Negative, none to speak of unless it's present in the recording.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #5,802 of 14,755
Is there any news on firmware update? it seems they ever rolled out  only 1 ...subjecting there must be no bugs or anything to be improved..

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #5,803 of 14,755
^ Well it's not like Sony to announce in advance that an update is coming. Just be patient. ZX1 got 3 updates and was free of bugs and sounded better by the last update, which was a year after release. I'm sure Sony will release updates for the ZX2 if it actually needs them.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #5,804 of 14,755
Negative, none to speak of unless it's present in the recording.
Likewise, throwing it out there that the SE846 also doesn't have hiss (other than the amp charging up noise which I would guess would occur on even the most inefficient 'phones...)

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #5,805 of 14,755

I think the answer to this really depends on how sensitive an individual is to hiss. I have the same pairing and I can only hear the hiss when no music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back