SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #121 of 14,755
  I won't get too excited - let's face it, a 'super capacitor' can't 'generate' power - it may serve to increase transient PMPO, but that is not the same as RMS.

Lower resistance battery may improve transients, too, I suppose (something I have long held a small suspicion may be holding-back the DX90 transient ability, although I openly admit I have not actually heard one yet)

No, a super capacitor actually does increase RMS power, and hugely like 2x or more,  also lower ESR and other beneficial effects . Read:

https://www.tecategroup.com/white_papers/badnames/PumpUpTheVolume.pdf

No SDXC and no OLED screen disappointing.
But if sound is on class with AK240 and Lotoo may be worth it :)

It does have SDXC, performance wise I'm sure some will like its sound over the AK240, while others will prefer the AK240, there will always be split camps, some people prefer the Calyx M over the AK240 etc. I know I will prefer the ZX2 to other daps, going of how much I prefer the ZX1.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #123 of 14,755

Well, you can but its all relative to sample rate and audio quality of the game.

Unless Flappy Bird comes out in 24bit hi-res sound effects/background music you're at the mercy of the games implementation.

Lol that's obvious. What I meant was that the game's audio(regardless of it's actual mastering quality) be played at the highest possible performance and fidelity, is all, seeing that the audio has to be processed with what the internals of the ZX2 has to offer.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #124 of 14,755

No, a super capacitor actually does increase RMS power, and hugely like 2x or more,  also lower ESR and other beneficial effects . Read:

https://www.tecategroup.com/white_papers/badnames/PumpUpTheVolume.pdf

Hmmm.... interesting article.

But not "2x or more", as far as I can see.

Claims a 67% increase in RMS, which, even at that, seems a bit too good/much to be true, but perhaps it really is. I'd like to see others running the same tests.

I concede that it's promising, though.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #126 of 14,755

OK, well, if that's a real-life subjective experience of the ZX2, then it seems the ZX2 may be worth a listen. It has to sound more realistic than the ZX1 to command serious audiophile cash.

I'm curious if you ever gave the ZX1 a listen with a trick that is going into the system apps and disabling one called "sound enhancements". This is the only way to get the ZX1's true unaltered sound, and boggles my mind that Sony basically gimped their own dap to my ears. Disabling this results in sounding far less digital, and very natural, bass gets even tighter, sound stage increases, vocals become more holographic, the only negative is the sound becomes brighter, which is probably why Sony decided to gimp the ZX1's true sound with a default "sound enhancement" equalization setting. But it just doesn't sound anywhere as good on a technical level.  And ZX2 should fix this.

Perhaps a typo? (unless the Chinese market is getting a different version, which seems rather unlikely).

Not a Typo, European Sony site also says SDXC for the ZX2.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx2

But not "2x or more", as far as I can see.

Claims a 67% increase in RMS, which, even at that, seems a bit too good/much to be true, but perhaps it really is. I'd like to see others running the same tests.

I concede that it's promising, though.

Yeah, the 2x more power was the peak burst power, the RMS was 67%. Still peak power is very helpful in audio, particularly in the bass department.

And another interesting part is that even though the battery is 3.7v, the super capacitor can actually increase the audio circuits voltage to 5v, the super cap seems like a nice boost to many attributes imo.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #127 of 14,755

Perhaps a typo? (unless the Chinese market is getting a different version, which seems rather unlikely).

The german website says that it can be extended up to further 128gb

http://www.sony.de/electronics/walkman/nw-zx2#product_details_default (somewhere in the middle)

it is Quoted. (²) --> which says that the 128gb micro SDXC card is not included in the package.

They do not advertise it directly here, but they are only talking about 64 and 128 gb SD-Cards. They are both in the region of SDXC.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #128 of 14,755
I'm trying to recall what the ZX1 power output rating is - is it 15mw pc?

If so, then a quick calculation reveals that 15mw x the claimed 67% increase (in the article) yields approximately 25mw pc.

My Cowon J3 is 29mw pc, and although it reaches a satisfactory volume with sensitive IEMs and CIEMs, it fails to deliver sufficient current with low-impedance loads.

Quote:

I'm curious if you ever gave the ZX1 a listen with a trick that is going into the system apps and disabling one called "sound enhancements". This is the only way to get the ZX1's true unaltered sound, and boggles my mind that Sony basically gimped their own dap to my ears. Disabling this results in sounding far less digital, and very natural, bass gets even tighter, sound stage increases, vocals become more holographic, the only negative is the sound becomes brighter, which is probably why Sony decided to gimp the ZX1's true sound with a default "sound enhancement" equalization setting. But it just doesn't sound anywhere as good on a technical level. 

Yes, I did, and I agree that the sound enhancements are bizarre and best left switched-off. But even then, there is something about the ZX1 that sounds peculiar (and, sorry.... bland).

However, in spite of my criticisms of the ZX1, I think it is a truly beautifully-made DAP - without question, the best I've ever seen (even better than A&K), and, used to feed digital signals to a Hugo, it does the business in spades, and just as well as any other DAP, regardless of price.

I'm only being harsh on Sony because they are charging high-end audiophile prices and for that, I rightly expect high-end audiophile performance. Otherwise, it's just a glorified mobile phone.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #131 of 14,755

there is something about the ZX1 that sounds peculiar (and, sorry.... bland).

Fair enough, I personally feel the ZX1 is more truthful to the digital file and other daps use component induced coloration to fake a more natural sound. For example, using a Hi-Res recording on the ZX1 sounds noticeably more realistic than 16/44.1, which sounds more digital. But other daps just mask the whole difference between the two files with coloration which many think sounds natural. Thats how feel about ZX1 vs DX90 for example. Not that the ZX1 is perfect, far from, it needs refinement in the sound, more power, and less treble. But it does seem like ZX2 is addressing these issues, so me personally at least am probably going to love the sound of ZX2.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #132 of 14,755
Oh man what's going on? Even Mython is starting to warm up to it
blink.gif
.So far we have Mimouille,Trance and Ok-Guy who will be ordering it for sure and I'm seriously considering jumping the bandwagon instead of Fiio x7.Can someone please call Eke to reassure the rest of us that it won't sound better than clip+?

I am really lolling hard by the way with some of the comments on different sites when the price of ZX2 was announced.Apparently anyone who buys this pos is a braindead idiot who needs a whooping or that audiophiles are to music what a pedophile is to an 8 year old(i know i shouldn't be laughing..).

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #133 of 14,755
^ Haha, well having three guys wanting to buy a newly announced dap is actually kinda underwhelming. ZX2 deserves more hype imo, maybe once Mimouille posts impressions about how his ZX2 is destroying his 240 and 901 we will see some good hype 
biggrin.gif

I guarantee you that as soon as I get mine I will be raving about it hehe.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #134 of 14,755

.... using a Hi-Res recording on the ZX1 sounds noticeably more realistic than 16/44.1, which sounds more digital. But other daps just mask the whole difference between the two files with coloration which many think sounds natural.

LOL - or maybe the ZX1 is digitally-processing the 16/44.1 in some non-beneficial way?
wink_face.gif
     (I'm pulling your leg)

I'm glad you are mature enough to discuss my criticisms of a DAP you own without taking it personally. It does you credit.

As you know, everyone on Head-fi has a slightly different take on what their perfect DAP would be.

Ergonomically, and in terms of out-&-out build quality of the chassis, the ZX1 is my idea of perfection.

Size-wise, it's small enough for me, too (DX100 / HM-901, etc. are too big for me).

Looks like the ZX2 will be going head-to-head with Calyx-M and AK120ii, and the competition could get very heated indeed. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens.

And we still don't know what level of performance James' X7 will bring to the party, at a 'mere' $699

All of them are touchscreen devices (AK120ii less so, but still...), all similar form-factor, and all claiming to be serious audiophile performers.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #135 of 14,755
  Oh man what's going on? Even Mython is starting to warm up to it
blink.gif

Whoa!! Now, steady on!
tongue.gif

maybe once Mimouille posts impressions about how his ZX2 is destroying his 240 and 901 we will see some good hype 
biggrin.gif

If that happened, but actually turned out to be TRUE, and not just hype, I would somehow find the cash for a ZX2, and be happy for Sony's success. I promise you that.

But it's a big    if......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back