SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 9, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #13,232 of 14,773
Im stuck in italy while my trrs cable is sitting in the mailbox in germany
frown.gif
cant wsit to go home in a few days.

you have to warn that you hold, otherwise your cable will go back!

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #13,234 of 14,773
  Holy crap TRRS is the real deal. I was really contemplating selling the zx2 until this morning. Keeping it now and upgrading to andromedas when I have funds :). That soundstage ><

Exactly! The sound quality might not change much (or at all), but the 3D sense of space on well-mastered tracks is something else. Enjoy 
wink.gif

Btw, what cable is that from Null Audio, and what was the damage?

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #13,235 of 14,773
  Exactly! The sound quality might not change much (or at all), but the 3D sense of space on well-mastered tracks is something else. Enjoy 
wink.gif

Btw, what cable is that from Null Audio, and what was the damage?

ARETE SERIES MKII PREMIUM UPGRADE CABLE FOR EARPHONES

It was only 72 dollars and they made it in 3 days and shipped. I just happened to be in italy for a week so couldn't pick it up until this morning. Cables feel solid and great. Couldn't recommend them more.

I think its more than the soundstage. Before I felt the sound was either too sharp or bass was overblown and sometimes a bit congested. But with the balanced cable feels wide open because there is more space for the sounds to float around. The bass is completely neutral. Jump in resolution sharpens things up quite a bit and you can hear more nuances especially in the vocals. When I listen to strings and orchestra now, the timbre feels right instead of muffled(I play cello for a living). Everything sounds much tighter and defined.

I came from a mojo to zx2 because I couldnt be stacking when traveling with 2 bags and a cello on a plane or train. I was a bit disappointed from the single ended trs performance. Maybe I should grab another mojo for comparison, but I won't be stacking so I don't see the need for more than just the zx2. Think I'll get an campfire andromeda cause I heard the pairing is amazing because of soundstage and output impedance matching. Cheers!

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #13,236 of 14,773

ARETE SERIES MKII PREMIUM UPGRADE CABLE FOR EARPHONES

It was only 72 dollars and they made it in 3 days and shipped. I just happened to be in italy for a week so couldn't pick it up until this morning. Cables feel solid and great. Couldn't recommend them more.

I think its more than the soundstage. Before I felt the sound was either too sharp or bass was overblown and sometimes a bit congested. But with the balanced cable feels wide open because there is more space for the sounds to float around. The bass is completely neutral. Jump in resolution sharpens things up quite a bit and you can hear more nuances especially in the vocals. When I listen to strings and orchestra now, the timbre feels right instead of muffled(I play cello for a living). Everything sounds much tighter and defined.

I came from a mojo to zx2 because I couldnt be stacking when traveling with 2 bags and a cello on a plane or train. I was a bit disappointed from the single ended trs performance. Maybe I should grab another mojo for comparison, but I won't be stacking so I don't see the need for more than just the zx2. Think I'll get an campfire andromeda cause I heard the pairing is amazing because of soundstage and output impedance matching. Cheers!

I've already got in touch with them, I might pick one up myself. And I would guess you could pick up such nuances more easily, given your background. For me the main thing that was undeniable was the sense of space, everything seemed to have a position, especially with more capable IEMs/headphones.

I also use the ZX2 with the Hugo to drive full headphones when I travel, have yet to find a good custom WM -> micro USB digital output cable that doesn't squash the sound stage and positioning. Also no balanced / TRRS for Hugo 
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #13,237 of 14,773
the trrs thing is real , my NT6 have gotten even more stellar with the trrs on their cable 

a 2nd pair of customs is to arrive next month , after that it's 1a fund-gathering period 
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #13,238 of 14,773
the trrs thing is real , my NT6 have gotten even more stellar with the trrs on their cable 

a 2nd pair of customs is to arrive next month , after that it's 1a fund-gathering period :p

Very happy with my ZX2 with the Sony Upgrade Cable, re-terminated with Oyaide TRRS 4-poles Gold plug, and connecting to my XBA-Z5.

Very nice sounding!

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #13,240 of 14,773
I can't stop listening.....I really wouldn't mind paying 1.2k for this device. I can't imagine how 1a or 1z will be better, but I really think they should write.....use direct mode....must used balanced or trrs 3.5mm for full experience...because its a totally different experience. I have no desire to buy a mojo anymore. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #13,241 of 14,773
I can't stop listening.....I really wouldn't mind paying 1.2k for this device. I can't imagine how 1a or 1z will be better, but I really think they should write.....use direct mode....must used balanced or trrs 3.5mm for full experience...because its a totally different experience. I have no desire to buy a mojo anymore. 

In my experiences, Mojo was still behind the Zx2 (TRRS mode), however Mojo was better than Zx2 in Single ended mode. Also, Mojo still has better power delivery.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #13,242 of 14,773

...amazing isn't it - a gem like this has to be teased out of Sony by a journalist and some trial and error by some of the more adventurous early adopters. Sony were presumably trying not to dent sales of their balanced gear, but the reality is that this is an excellent "budget freindly" halfway house that people can make use of by simply reterminating/obtaining appropriate cables. A good selling point - mostly lost to the general public. Sometimes, Sony don't do themselves any favours!

I have to give Sony some kudos for including this facility in the ZX2 - and for continuing it in the newer line - but once again, they don't make a song and dance of it
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #13,243 of 14,773
In my experiences, Mojo was still behind the Zx2 (TRRS mode), however Mojo was better than Zx2 in Single ended mode. Also, Mojo still has better power delivery.

I agree. Mojo tries hard to be so clear in clarity that there is something digital about the treble that is rolled off. The Sony in TRRS feels just so natural and analog with no fatigue. Also because there is a lot of headstage.....everything seems so effortless, punchy,.neutral.and light......I definitely wouldn't call it bass tilted and dark like in SE TRS. I wish I could get the same result for my studio monitors, but that's where it is hard as the ZX2 output is weak. I guess I'll grab a mojo for the desktop and use the Sony on the go. CHEERS!

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #13,245 of 14,773
The good thing is that the new Walkman WM1A/Z will also have TRRS and true balanced slots
biggrin.gif

yeah baby yeah, hope you can amke me some cable adapters for my Z5 one balanced TRRRs pig tail and the other TRRs normal 3,6mm piggy tail,i am tempted to send you my Z7, my german BF has them waiting for me in Hamburg to me pick them in december. I am feeling tempted to send them to you so you mod them 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back