SONY NW-ZX100
Aug 15, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,167 of 3,849
  You guys should try the digital out from the ZX100 / ZX2. Imho it beats that of the new AK70 and even the AK380. It's a lot cleaner and you dont suffer from the low volume when it is used as a line out.

could i use idsd micro that way with my zx2 ?

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #3,168 of 3,849
I agree.  Once you get the correct digital out cable for your ZX (one with the huge head and chip inside), it sure sounds freakin' good as a transport.

My ZX2 to Mojo & KSE1500's DAC/Amp.  I'm sure it will work with iDSD as well.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,169 of 3,849
  I agree.  Once you get the correct digital out cable for your ZX (one with the huge head and chip inside), it sure sounds freakin' good as a transport.

So where do you get that???

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #3,170 of 3,849
how about the Fiio L5?

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,172 of 3,849

You do realize that when you use your DAP strictly as a transport device (bypass amp and dac) that your sound comes entirely from the external amp/dac.  So the ZX100 doesn't sound awesome the amp/dac sounds awesome and your expensive DAP becomes a glorified storage device.  Seems kind of silly to me to pay that much for a DAP to use it strictly as a transport.  Adding an external amp for more power I can understand but if you only want a transport device I would get an A17 or A26 and save some money since the DAP won't affect the sound.

If the ZX100 is such a great sounding DAP why would you want to use it strictly as a transport device?

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3,173 of 3,849

You do realize that when you use your DAP strictly as a transport device (bypass amp and dac) that your sound comes entirely from the external amp/dac.  So the ZX100 doesn't sound awesome the amp/dac sounds awesome and your expensive DAP becomes a glorified storage device.  Seems kind of silly to me to pay that much for a DAP to use it strictly as a transport.  Adding an external amp for more power I can understand but if you only want a transport device I would get an A17 or A26 and save some money since the DAP won't affect the sound.

If the ZX100 is such a great sounding DAP why would you want to use it strictly as a transport device?

I agree with those sentiments.

However I'm still perplexed about getting digital out of any of the SONY DAPs.  Apart from what I've read here, other comments say digital out is not available from the A17, ZX100 etc.

I understand that using something like this 
will give line out but digital out .....??

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #3,174 of 3,849
  I agree with those sentiments.

However I'm still perplexed about getting digital out of any of the SONY DAPs.  Apart from what I've read here, other comments say digital out is not available from the A17, ZX100 etc.

I understand that using something like this 
will give line out but digital out .....??

Actually digital out is possible with a special cable.  If you buy one of the Sony HiRes amp/dac's the PHA-1A or PHA-3 it comes with a cable that will bypass the amp/dac in the ZX1, ZX2 and ZX100 to use the dac/amp in the external unit.  The problem is when you use the cable it puts the DAP in data transfer mode which caps the battery life in the DAP at around 8 hours.  You can buy the cable separately but I believe you can only get it from Sony Asia unless that has changed.

A new cable has been released by a third party vendor that does not affect the battery life as I understand it. Basically like the one posted in the picture from deltronzero.  I hate the Sony WM-Port and hate having to swap cables every time I want to charge or add tracks to my A17.  So I go HO with the L16 cable which to me sounds better than LO on my A17.  I am sure there are others on this forum who can tell you what the cable is if you are interested.

Actually to my earlier comment about getting an A17 or A26 to use as a transport I don't think they have digital output capability.  But if I really wanted just a transport device I would go for one of the Fiio DAPs (X3II or X5II) or another DAP that has a proper LO setup instead the dumb WM-Port that Sony uses.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #3,175 of 3,849

Actually digital out is possible with a special cable.  If you buy one of the Sony HiRes amp/dac's the PHA-1A or PHA-3 it comes with a cable that will bypass the amp/dac in the ZX1, ZX2 and ZX100 to use the dac/amp in the external unit.  The problem is when you use the cable it puts the DAP in data transfer mode which caps the battery life in the DAP at around 8 hours.  You can buy the cable separately but I believe you can only get it from Sony Asia unless that has changed.

A new cable has been released by a third party vendor that does not affect the battery life as I understand it. Basically like the one posted in the picture from deltronzero.  I hate the Sony WM-Port and hate having to swap cables every time I want to charge or add tracks to my A17.  So I go HO with the L16 cable which to me sounds better than LO on my A17.  I am sure there are others on this forum who can tell you what the cable is if you are interested.

Actually to my earlier comment about getting an A17 or A26 to use as a transport I don't think they have digital output capability.  But if I really wanted just a transport device I would go for one of the Fiio DAPs (X3II or X5II) or another DAP that has a proper LO setup instead the dumb WM-Port that Sony uses.

Thanks for that Fish.
I'm not really tempted to get one of those adaptors for digital input, just interested in the subject.
And I'm still sceptical about the use of portable amplifiers.  I did buy a Headstage (now moved on) but was unimpressed although give it full marks for being of compact size, much better than the Fio A12 Mont Blanc which adds to carrying weight significantly.  As I posted before, I cannot see the value of these amps unless output is too low to drive the headphones or there is a mismatch somewhere (impedance problem?) .  No way I can see they could improve the AQ otherwise unless maybe if fed with line out, something I'll investigate when the adaptor I pictured arrives.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,176 of 3,849
  Thanks for that Fish.
I'm not really tempted to get one of those adaptors for digital input, just interested in the subject.
And I'm still sceptical about the use of portable amplifiers.  I did buy a Headstage (now moved on) but was unimpressed although give it full marks for being of compact size, much better than the Fio A12 Mont Blanc which adds to carrying weight significantly.  As I posted before, I cannot see the value of these amps unless output is too low to drive the headphones or there is a mismatch somewhere (impedance problem?) .  No way I can see they could improve the AQ otherwise unless maybe if fed with line out, something I'll investigate when the adaptor I pictured arrives.

Again there a two camps on the external amp issue, some say yes some say no.  It really depends on your equipment and capabilities of the headphones.  Having listened to dozens of amplifiers for both home and portable use.  I advocate for a good external amp in most cases again depending on the DAP and the headphones. 

No point in debating it anymore as there will never be a consensus on the issue.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #3,177 of 3,849

I ask the same question why if hey consider a great sounding DAP, why they would use it as a "hard drive" to say so.

I id use my zx100 briefly with an Oppo HA-2 tho not the full DAC/AMP, only the oppo amp section by using the so said L5 from fiio. while it provided a slihtly cleaner signal, i say slightly because really you must be super pressed and listening super loud to get the real dofferences to note otherwise is not detcetable.

I found the HA-2 did alter the sound a bit, like a touch of warmness and loss of detail (not so much to be consided ughhh) but i did note so, I liked the sound from the ZX100 more so endd selling my AMP as also disliked bulgy pockets
biggrin.gif
, I looked like i was carrying guns...

aisde from that the HA-2 is great product for its price, i did find improvements on the A17 +XBA-H3 , but not significant changes between A17 + XBA-A3 and slight change beteen ZX100 + XBA-A3.

as fish says it really epends on Headphones/IEMs, DAP and amplifier/DAC choice that will change the sounds, cables perhaps maybe also be a contributing factor, i can note a miuscule change in SQ between stock and upgrade sony cabe for XBA-A3 but only in minute detail retreval and slight more expansion

So is up to you if want to use the ZX100 which provides a wondeful sound as a transport only and have bulgy pockets and carry your "guns" or be practical like me only the zx100 and a pair of IEMs.

one danger of such stacks is ending scratching your DAP body or screen as happened to my A17 the oppo had some sharp edges and wells crathed the screen of my A10 aside from that i broke the fiio L5 on a bed mishap after rolling and crushing the dngle fortunately the A17 connection port survived

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,179 of 3,849
  I ask the same question why if hey consider a great sounding DAP, why they would use it as a "hard drive" to say so.

I id use my zx100 briefly with an Oppo HA-2 tho not the full DAC/AMP, only the oppo amp section by using the so said L5 from fiio. while it provided a slihtly cleaner signal, i say slightly because really you must be super pressed and listening super loud to get the real dofferences to note otherwise is not detcetable.

I found the HA-2 did alter the sound a bit, like a touch of warmness and loss of detail (not so much to be consided ughhh) but i did note so, I liked the sound from the ZX100 more so endd selling my AMP as also disliked bulgy pockets
biggrin.gif
, I looked like i was carrying guns...

aisde from that the HA-2 is great product for its price, i did find improvements on the A17 +XBA-H3 , but not significant changes between A17 + XBA-A3 and slight change beteen ZX100 + XBA-A3.

as fish says it really epends on Headphones/IEMs, DAP and amplifier/DAC choice that will change the sounds, cables perhaps maybe also be a contributing factor, i can note a miuscule change in SQ between stock and upgrade sony cabe for XBA-A3 but only in minute detail retreval and slight more expansion

So is up to you if want to use the ZX100 which provides a wondeful sound as a transport only and have bulgy pockets and carry your "guns" or be practical like me only the zx100 and a pair of IEMs.

one danger of such stacks is ending scratching your DAP body or screen as happened to my A17 the oppo had some sharp edges and wells crathed the screen of my A10 aside from that i broke the fiio L5 on a bed mishap after rolling and crushing the dngle fortunately the A17 connection port survived

Why not doing a digital connection from ZX100 to Oppo HA-2?  I bet the improvements are more subtle.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,180 of 3,849
I'll be putting my ZX100 for sale, there will be  new flagship walkman at the IFA and will venture to my first flagship... lets say i had already tried bidget sony, and the zx100 is mid-tier now time for some seripous treat if no xba line announced then i will grab first a XBA Z5, for sure i will get either the Z7 too (or the new sucessor, but i doubt because iit is open back and i have a neighbor with barking dogs that make listning to music impossible)

No is NOT THE NEW TOY SYNDROME is the LOUSY BUILD OF THE ZX100 at least for me THE CAUSE FOR THE SELLING

Users who are viewing this thread

Back