SONY NW-ZX100
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #496 of 3,849
  who bought this player? as an impression?

Don't tell me you don't have an impression of the player?....
basshead.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #498 of 3,849
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #501 of 3,849
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #504 of 3,849

sony never publishes this and i think they never will

so we would need to wait for a friendly indivudual to measure it.....
Hopefully somebody will be so kind as this is beyond my capabilities.
And to ask for this value in Sony store is useless. They won't even know what you are talking about...

A17 has 4 Ohms and ZX2 around 2 Ohms if I am not mistaken.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #505 of 3,849
so we would need to wait for a friendly indivudual to measure it.....
Hopefully somebody will be so kind as this is beyond my capabilities.
And to ask for this value in Sony store is useless. They won't even know what you are talking about...

A17 has 4 Ohms and ZX2 around 2 Ohms if I am not mistaken.

Too bad from sony a basic measurement ignored, I have noted they also stopped publishing S/N ratio... hope headphoniaks or so put this babe to the test, i remembver a spanish language forum put the A17 to test

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #506 of 3,849
Yeah,

I live in Toronto, Sony closed all their Canadian stores and their online store. 

There were several online and retail stores selling the NWZ-A17, Bestbuy.ca is selling it online only, canadacomputers.com has it on their site but the price is now $350.00 CAN in silver.   NCIX.com (stores in BC and Ontario) was selling it but it is no longer on their site.  I suspect when they sold out stock on the A17 they will wait to restock with the new A27.  Even Walmart was carrying at one point but it isn't on their site anymore. One site in Ontario gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca has them 299.99.  Of course there is always amazon.ca but as usual their price is higher than most other sites due to the lousy suppliers they source from.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #507 of 3,849
If you go to http://download.cnet.com/Free-MP3-WMA-OGG-Converter/3000-2140_4-10793572.html this is a free audio converter that will convert batches of songs from WMA to most other formats

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #508 of 3,849

They won't but if you have dbPower amp you can convert WMA Lossless to FLAC
wink.gif
 (or XLD lossless decoder for mac) i think dbpower has a 30-day trial or so, i purchased it for 78 USD os worth the asking price, it converst from a myriad of formats including APE, WMAL, WMA Lossy, mp3, ogg flac alac etc

Posted a link on the next page to a free audio format converter that will convert from WMA to most formats including FLAC and will convert songs in batches

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #509 of 3,849
Is NWZ-ZX100 worth more than double A17?

I have to ask, do the differences between the A17 and ZX100 justify the price difference?

I know in Canada when the ZX100 becomes available it will be around $700.00 vs the $300.00 I paid for the A17

Slightly larger (3" to 2.2") low resolution screen, 128GB vs 64GB,  slightly more power (15mW vs 10mW),  yes it has noise cancellation but only with Sony headphones.  You can add a nice amp E12 or E12A to the A17, add a 64GB microsd card for $40.00 and you have the same amount of storage, and more power and you are still saving $150 to $200 .  The bigger screen provides no real benefit given the resolution and the fact it isn't touch screen and doesn't play video.

Comparing the ZX100 to the ZX1 which it is replacing the ZX100 is a downgrade in build quality (based on initial reviews) , with a smaller screen size, lower resolution, and no touch screen. Does not have android (no apps). The ZX100 should be significantly cheaper than the ZX1, like say $500 CAN.  I would pay $500.00 CAN for the ZX100 and be happy but not $700.00.

Keep in mind that Sony's DAP's don't have DAC chips! Output is fed directly from the HX amplifier (Class D digital) output stage. So Sony can't argue charging almost as much for the ZX100 as the ZX1 because of a higher quality DAC chip because it doesn't have one. 

I wrote about this way back near the beginning of this thread that Sony uses Class D digital amp stages in their DAP's which are lower quality (lower fidelity) than the Class A or Class A/B amps other manufacturers like Fiio use.  Using Class D amps are the main reason Sony DAP's are so under powered compared to other manufacturers as their Class D amps don't scale well for increased power output.  Sony Class D amps are very efficient which does help with battery life and they produce alot less heat than Class A and Class A/B amps but it takes a lot of manipulation to produce a good sounding Class D amp.  Thus Sony DAP's lose a lot less power to heat compared to other configurations which helps explain why they can produce decent volume levels with such a meager power output. These design choices and not needing DAC chips allow Sony to cut costs significantly compared to other manufacturers allowing them to produce more compact units with fewer and cheaper components.  So we definitely pay a premium for buying Sony vs other manufacturers products but we do get the benefit of their R&D and decades of experience producing music players.

There would have to be a huge difference in sound quality to justify paying double the price. An A17 with a good quality amp like my E12A (or even Fiio E11K) should come pretty close to the ZX100 in sound quality while providing more power for alot less money. Even reviewers compared the sound of the A17 pretty favorably to the ZX1 (and adding an amp brings them even closer) which is about the same class as the ZX100?  It isn't like getting a ZX100 would suddenly mean you don't need an amp if you need one now for your A17. 

If you choose to pair the ZX100 with say the same amp you use for your A17 (via LO) then you bypass the fancy amplifier circuitry in the ZX100 and negate the benefit of the slightly higher power output from the ZX100.  Since neither unit uses a DAC chip then how much of a sound difference will their really be between the two players amped?  Now suddenly the minor benefits the ZX100 has over the A17 (slightly more battery life, screen size, extra 64GB storage, noise cancellation (maybe) ) makes it much harder to justify paying twice as much or more for the ZX100 over the A17 if an amp is still needed.

So I think the best course of action is to audition the ZX100 with your intended headphones.  If you find you don't need an amp with your headphones then maybe the ZX100 is worth the price.  But if you find you still need an amp then you should ask yourself if the other benefits of the ZX100 still justify paying such a premium.  If you sell your A17 to help pay for the ZX100 then the price difference will be even higher since you will get significantly less for your used A17 than what you paid for it.

Headphones will always make the biggest difference in sound quality.  If you find your current headphones aren't well suited for your A17 then maybe spending some of what you would spend on the ZX100 on a better matched pair of headphones would be a better use of your money.  There are hundreds of headphones on the market so you should be able to find one that fits your needs.

I sold high end audio for years and the hardest part for me was providing customers with best bang for their buck. 

As I understand it the ZX100 will come with earphones. If you don't like the earphones or the quality isn't good enough then you are now paying for something you won't use.  Most of us will have our favorite headphones already and the free earphones will end up in a drawer somewhere.   It would be nice if Sony offered the ZX100 at a lower price if you don't want the earphones.

I have a two year warranty on my A17 with just over one year left. So for me it is worthwhile waiting one more year to see what Sony does next and maybe get a good deal on the ZX100 before a newer model comes out.   If my A17 does bite the biscuit maybe they would replace it with an A27 or better yet give me credit towards the purchase of a ZX100.

My A17 coupled with my E12A amp and B&W P5 series 2 headphones cost about as much as the ZX100 alone will and my setup sounds pretty amazing to me.  My biggest fear is splurging on the ZX100 and then not enjoying the music I hear because I fear I paid to much for what I got.

Not saying I wouldn't want a ZX100, just not at the retail price it will be going for (unless I win the lottery of course). 

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #510 of 3,849
Fiio is not that good either, they dont sound that spectacular as yyou think(my experience)

Sony has no DAC chips!, cool then how we hear the digital files? of course they have it integrated withing the S-master HX chip(set) No apps?, for that I have a sony xperia M2... Low res-screen ANYWAYS who wants to look videos on that tiny screen (for that i have iether a sony VAIO, a Bravia HDTV or my xperia)

The rpice diference is the quality of audiophile components used, like the newer OSCONs + POSCAPS, better circutry thnan A17, yeah 128GB is good too but that does not justify the price.

Those capacitos make better sound quality as i suspect... i will sell my A17 because i got tired of using it with the HA-2 (not so pocketable at times)

and a canadian that cannot pay $700 CAN if  you're richer than me (being a mexican)...

ignore those dudes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back