SONY NW-ZX100
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,811 of 3,849
For the ZX100, compatible headphones are very important. I found good match with the following headphones.

For the cheap, Superlux HD668B, Philips SHP9500, Grados SR Series (up to SR125e)
For the Mid Priced, 1More Triple Driver Headphones, Grados SR Series (SR325e), Philips Fidelio X2HR
For the Higher End, Grado Allesandro MS Pro, Grado RS Series.

For Iem, earbuds, I've tried with great success,

Xiaomi HD Audio Headphones Pro (both v1 and v2, elsewhere known as Piston v4 and v5), 1More triple driver iem, Final Audio E series, Etymotic ER series up to ER3SE, Venture Electronics Monk Plus, Zen Omega.

These are the ones I've tried with great results. With these phones, you don't need anything better than the XZ100. The ZX100 can drive these phones to very loud levels. Final choice of phones depends largely on what materials you listen to.

I'm sure they sound great with some other compatible headphones which I haven't tried.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #3,812 of 3,849
I think ZX100 is a fusion between A15 and ZX1. A little of both. ZX1 is more solid in construction compared to ZX100.
ZX1 has more ‘modern capabilities’ than ZX100.
But to me the battery chosen for the ZX1 is poor for the demand ZX1 needs.
I never had ZX100 so I can’t comment on the sound.

ZX100 uses traditional walkman os, advantages is awesome battery life at 45 hours using flac and standby mode last up to year, while it can use apps, i personally feel (and the designers themselves, zx100 project member's voice, ZX100 uses a monocoque design for more rigidity than it's previous model NW-ZX1, therefore improvment in sound quality.

https://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/flagship/zx100/interview03.html

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,813 of 3,849
I have never seen the price budge down at all for the ZX100 as compared to the ZX1 which could be purchased at a fraction of its original cost.
I am tempted to get a ZX100 as I love the ZX300 although they have different specs and are totally different.
ZX100 uses traditional walkman os, advantages is awesome battery life at 45 hours using flac and standby mode last up to year, while it can use apps, i personally feel (and the designers themselves, zx100 project member's voice, ZX100 uses a monocoque design for more rigidity than it's previous model NW-ZX1, therefore improvment in sound quality.

https://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/flagship/zx100/interview03.html

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,814 of 3,849
Hello, all, first time poster and commenter here looking for some help with the NW-ZX100! This is my very first DAP, I'm really happy with the overall build and style of it, aside from one major problem: locked to Japanese.

Yes, I somehow find myself with the Japanese version that does not include language settings. I've tried updating with my PC with English firmware, checked if English MediaGo might budge, but, no budge.

Is there any way to get English on this device? I read that there's a way to possibly upload international firmware.

Worst comes to worst, I'll make due with the Japanese but a run down of the settings and overall OS with an English counterpart would be great if that could be provided.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #3,815 of 3,849
Hello, all, first time poster and commenter here looking for some help with the NW-ZX100! This is my very first DAP, I'm really happy with the overall build and style of it, aside from one major problem: locked to Japanese.

Yes, I somehow find myself with the Japanese version that does not include language settings. I've tried updating with my PC with English firmware, checked if English MediaGo might budge, but, no budge.

Is there any way to get English on this device? I read that there's a way to possibly upload international firmware.

Worst comes to worst, I'll make due with the Japanese but a run down of the settings and overall OS with an English counterpart would be great if that could be provided.

i believe there is no way to change it to english, to be honest, youtube the videos of NW-ZX100 and NW-A20/30, you can get the gist of the menus (after all there isn't that much options) and write on small piece of paper, after a month of using and using the piece of paper guide of the menus translated from japanese to english, it won't be hard to use

I have even played resident evil 2 with menus in japanese and i can't read japanese at all

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #3,816 of 3,849
i believe there is no way to change it to english, to be honest, youtube the videos of NW-ZX100 and NW-A20/30, you can get the gist of the menus (after all there isn't that much options) and write on small piece of paper, after a month of using and using the piece of paper guide of the menus translated from japanese to english, it won't be hard to use

I have even played resident evil 2 with menus in japanese and i can't read japanese at all

I was afraid that would be the case. No matter, I guess there's no way around it.

As for transferring music to the device, what's the suggested software? I moved over many albums yesterday from my desktop to the Zx100 through MediaGo the Music Connect software, and straight drag and drop from folder to folder, and I was getting albums with duplicate songs and nearly everything missing album art. My music is categorized correctly, tagged, etc so I know it's not me.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #3,817 of 3,849
I was afraid that would be the case. No matter, I guess there's no way around it.

As for transferring music to the device, what's the suggested software? I moved over many albums yesterday from my desktop to the Zx100 through MediaGo the Music Connect software, and straight drag and drop from folder to folder, and I was getting albums with duplicate songs and nearly everything missing album art. My music is categorized correctly, tagged, etc so I know it's not me.

Have you tried contacting your local SONY Service Center for their help. If anyone can they would be the one. There's probably a locking mechanism in place for regional copyright matters. Anyway, I would try them if I were you. So far, they've been very helpful with my issues.

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #3,818 of 3,849
Add a dictionary to that and he’ll be learning the language in no time.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #3,819 of 3,849

just drag and drop, once you connect your walkman to pc, no need any software, just look at the directories and you seek the walkman and click and drag and drop the flac files to the walkman, so easy, after all, it's not an iphone or ipod which can only use itunes

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,820 of 3,849
just drag and drop, once you connect your walkman to pc, no need any software, just look at the directories and you seek the walkman and click and drag and drop the flac files to the walkman, so easy, after all, it's not an iphone or ipod which can only use itunes

That's what I figure, but a simple drag and drop leaves the content on the Walkman itself without album art which is bizarre. I've checked their format, and they're all JPEGs, which are compatible, put even with resizing, nothing works.

Only thing that's worked out for me so far is the "Music Center for PC" software by SONY that has a "convert album art" option under album properties but then it scans all the tracks in the album, and I have to do it manually for every album. Any suggestions as to what to do with my cover art? I'd love to be able to simply drag and drop.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #3,821 of 3,849
Do you see album art on your music files on music center. If you do I see no reason why you cant see in the Walkman.
If not, maybe those music files are conflicting with music files with the same name?
If not, manually add artwork to the whole album that contains the missing artwork in that music file which is cumbersome but should work out.
That's what I figure, but a simple drag and drop leaves the content on the Walkman itself without album art which is bizarre. I've checked their format, and they're all JPEGs, which are compatible, put even with resizing, nothing works.

Only thing that's worked out for me so far is the "Music Center for PC" software by SONY that has a "convert album art" option under album properties but then it scans all the tracks in the album, and I have to do it manually for every album. Any suggestions as to what to do with my cover art? I'd love to be able to simply drag and drop.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #3,822 of 3,849

if you can't see album art, from prevoiusly convert flacs ( not using sony media go), then install media monkey, manually insert the art work from jpg and embed it in the flac files, that works, also use low resolution jpg some people say using high res (pointless anyway considering how low res screen all of the walkmans anyway), it works and i have done and it works

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3,823 of 3,849
if you can't see album art, from prevoiusly convert flacs ( not using sony media go), then install media monkey, manually insert the art work from jpg and embed it in the flac files, that works, also use low resolution jpg some people say using high res (pointless anyway considering how low res screen all of the walkmans anyway), it works and i have done and it works

I'll go ahead and give Media Monkey a go. To the previous responder, album art was showing up in Music Center; as for the low resolution JPGs, I have tried it with extremely high resolution, and extremely low. I'll see what happens with Media Monkey and report back. Thank you for the suggestions.

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #3,825 of 3,849
My ZX100 had frozen while in the middle of playing a track and I could not get the player to turn off. Has any of you experienced this? Is there any way I can reset the player. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back