SONY NW-ZX100
Oct 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #3,421 of 3,849
Thanks for your take on the NC headphones, I'm really torn on whether getting it or not but realistically I really don't have much use for it except for when I'm on the plane listening to my own music.

The fact that the NC does not work on any other source (movies on planes, silence for me to go to sleep on planes etc) makes it quite useless.

thanks again

It's noted that mdr-nc750 and mdr-nw750, the difference is one sub branded with Sony mobile, also cheaper online,

These earphones work on (unofficially ) all noise cancellation Walkman and Sony Xperia flagship phone from z2 onwards, which make them great for movie or even Games

Alternatively, the cheaper but less quality mdr-nc31em also works

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #3,422 of 3,849
It's noted that mdr-nc750 and mdr-nw750, the difference is one sub branded with Sony mobile, also cheaper online,

These earphones work on (unofficially ) all noise cancellation Walkman and Sony Xperia flagship phone from z2 onwards, which make them great for movie or even Games

Alternatively, the cheaper but less quality mdr-nc31em also works

Thanks for the info on the different models od the 750's. I'm actually gonna get the A30's when they're out so the decision is really on whether getting the HN model or not. Being that the price difference between Hn and non Hn models are like $60, probably still gonna get it to give it a shot.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,423 of 3,849
  Looking for a player to replace my ancient (but extremely durable) NW-HD5 20gb, I was considering either this or the less expensive A25 until I found out the A25 is made of plastic. Considering I put my hd5 in my back pocket and sit on it all the time, that's unacceptable. How is the ZX100 for durability? Is it safe to put in my back pocket?

surprised a 2003? walkman could last 13 years, i thought my 2009 nwz-x1050 was old 

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #3,424 of 3,849
  I bought it used like 7 years ago. The other thing I'm worried about is the ability to change the battery, is it even possible? I like how on the hd5 I can change it in like 10 seconds.

I know that Sony Hong Kong charge me HK$200 ( around 20 quid/ US$25) to change my battery during 2013 for my nwz-x1050, they also change my sony xperia phone battery for HK$150 ( around 15 quid/ US$20) 5 months ago, also it only took a day to do

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #3,425 of 3,849
  surprised a 2003? walkman could last 13 years, i thought my 2009 nwz-x1050 was old 

Honestly, if you plan to keep on sticking your gadgets in your back pocket, it might be better to settle for something of less value. The ZX100 is durable overall, except for the plastic screen. But aluminum can dent too. And the pressure applied to the headphone socket while in your backpocket will damage your headphones and the player over time.

Edit: this was meant for soccerdude. Apologies

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #3,426 of 3,849
Does anyone know the best way to buff out scratches? I already know a few ways to buff out a scratch on a cell phone screen but the screen on this thing is so freaking fragile I don't want to damage it further.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,427 of 3,849
Does anyone know the best way to buff out scratches? I already know a few ways to buff out a scratch on a cell phone screen but the screen on this thing is so freaking fragile I don't want to damage it further.

Back in the day when I was still carrying a first gen iPod Nano- which was very prone to scratches) I bought a product for it that essentially filled up the scratches so as to appear smooth again. I don't know how it's called though, but there are such products out there. The best way to protect it would be a protective foil ofcourse.

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,428 of 3,849

is plastic screen so I don't recommedn buffing it don't do it!!! better buy s creen protector for it. Buffing is recomended for metal and glass but not plastic

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3,429 of 3,849
Looking at the 2017 SONY releases I see no burning reason to move from the ZX100.

Question:  Has anyone tried out a 512GB card?  Maybe not worth the cost (and slow wait for loading) but I would be interested to know if anyone has bothered to try a larger card.

TIA

John

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,430 of 3,849
Looking at the 2017 SONY releases I see no burning reason to move from the ZX100.

Question:  Has anyone tried out a 512GB card?  Maybe not worth the cost (and slow wait for loading) but I would be interested to know if anyone has bothered to try a larger card.

TIA

John

I feel they will alternate back to Android based os for consumers who want streaming apps for the next successor to nw-zx100 and nw-wm1 etc, maybe in two years time, a Walkman which is not Android based to be true successor

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #3,431 of 3,849
I feel they will alternate back to Android based os for consumers who want streaming apps for the next successor to nw-zx100 and nw-wm1 etc, maybe in two years time, a Walkman which is not Android based to be true successor

I suppose an Android interface is more useful for those who want to download direct via an APP but personally that is no interest to me.  I dislike Android interfaces and much prefer the button control of the NWZ A17/25 & ZX100 as for me (clumsy fingers) they work more positively and do not drain the battery unnecessarily. That said, the touted 30 hour battery life for the 2017 units is impressive.

Bottom line is I wonder if I could ever detect any improvement in AQ of these later units compared to the ZX100.  But against that I can detect differences between the ZX100 & the A25 series so .....  But, fanatical as I am about AQ, I'm not prepared to spend a significant 4 figure sum on something just to gain a minor step up in AQ (minor for me that is - it could be significantly better for someone else).

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #3,432 of 3,849
  I suppose an Android interface is more useful for those who want to download direct via an APP but personally that is no interest to me.  I dislike Android interfaces and much prefer the button control of the NWZ A17/25 & ZX100 as for me (clumsy fingers) they work more positively and do not drain the battery unnecessarily. That said, the touted 30 hour battery life for the 2017 units is impressive.

Bottom line is I wonder if I could ever detect any improvement in AQ of these later units compared to the ZX100.  But against that I can detect differences between the ZX100 & the A25 series so .....  But, fanatical as I am about AQ, I'm not prepared to spend a significant 4 figure sum on something just to gain a minor step up in AQ (minor for me that is - it could be significantly better for someone else).

sony walkman os = 50 Hours of Flac playback
android os, expect around 10-12 hours playback

audio quality, IMO, big difference between A2/3x to zx100 or zx1, but the difference between zx100 to zx2 is smaller

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,434 of 3,849

I just tried TA-ZH1ES and MDR-z1r on my nw-zx100 with standard flac at 44.1ktz 16bit, it was impressive in scale and had a massive sound staging with very precise seperation of instruments

this was at Hong Kong Causeway Bay store

Did you have an opportunity to try out the DSD Re-mastering feature ?

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,435 of 3,849
Can anyone please tell me how the buttons/pad handle compared to the A15? I find the A15's triangle shape very awkward, especially when it's in my pocket (the silicon case doesn't help). How much of the actual direction button pad responds to being pressed? Is it right to the edge? What happens towards the corners? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back