SONY NW-ZX100
Jul 13, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,971 of 3,849
Derp, got my model numbers confused.

Personally I have been using screenless dap recently so I probably should not say anything anyway
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #2,972 of 3,849
  I believe the screen is absolutely sufficient for a pure DAP. And if you don't find the ZX100 screen good you obviously haven't seen the screens of the DX80, Opus #1, not to mention the jokes of the older DX50/90.

For full Android DAPs which you might use also for youtube, etc different standards apply . Then the Onkyo and Pioneer are of course considered better. 

Well, ofcourse the screen is sufficient. I just don't think it's appropriate in what is considered a premium device. It detracts from the appeal. It's like buying a premium car with the standard plastic rims. If you don't think it detracts, then you should look at an older Walkman A-845. I'm seriously considering sending this device back just for that. If only I could find a similar player with a good screen. Anyone?

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #2,974 of 3,849
  hm..i have no issues with the screen. 98% of the time I do not see it anyhow. I am currently using a A17. That screen is even a step down from the ZX100.  

Well, luckily I didn't buy the A17 . I was considering it for a while as a worthy successor of my A845. But apparently the soul of the A845 has split in two: the E580 has inherited the screen but not the audio quality and the A17 inherited the audio quality.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #2,978 of 3,849
  Well, ofcourse the screen is sufficient. I just don't think it's appropriate in what is considered a premium device. It detracts from the appeal. It's like buying a premium car with the standard plastic rims. If you don't think it detracts, then you should look at an older Walkman A-845. I'm seriously considering sending this device back just for that. If only I could find a similar player with a good screen. Anyone?

Wow. I actually like the screen and think my album art looks really nice. Sharp enough. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,979 of 3,849
  No clue. Somebody mentioned an A30 listed for some regulatory issues and mentioned something about Android and touchscreen.
We only can wait. If there are some news, they will probably not before September.

Alright, thanks for the heads-up

Wow. I actually like the screen and think my album art looks really nice. Sharp enough. 

Hmm, do we have different screens? Liking this player is one thing, calling a 3" 400x240 VGA screen nice is another =)

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2,980 of 3,849
  Hmm, do we have different screens? Liking this player is one thing, calling a 3" 400x240 VGA screen nice is another =)

Perhaps we do.
It's more than sufficient. And my album art looks nice. Are you using low quality album art?

My old DAP was a DX50 so I'm more than happy with this. Sure, it's not a 1440p android phone, but it looks great.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,981 of 3,849
I'm not complaining :)
The screen is sub-par and mine has a slight scratch too ( been using it for 5+ months). 
It is not however a deal breaker.

What is interesting enough is although Sony got the sound right, they fail in terms of UI. The unit is slow and sluggish once you fill up the internal memory and an external card. This is partly to do with the album art. High resolution pictures will take more time to load and hence slow down the device considerably. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #2,982 of 3,849
[...]
What is interesting enough is although Sony got the sound right, they fail in terms of UI. The unit is slow and sluggish once you fill up the internal memory and an external card. This is partly to do with the album art. High resolution pictures will take more time to load and hence slow down the device considerably. 

I noticed this already. It's annoying.

I'm currently looking at the Sony Walkman F-series. I might just import it from Japan. It has hi-res audio capabilities AND hi-res screen, what do you know =)

Is there anyone here who has used both the F-series and ZX100? I'd like to know how the SQ measures up

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #2,983 of 3,849
Hm, UI is stellar comapred to most competitors because it works right out of the box and not only after several months with 10 firmware updates. It has its shortcomings though (no album artist sorting, no playlist of songs from external and internal memory at the same time, most sound "enhancements" are pretty uselss and EQ is very limited) but basically I am very happy with it.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #2,984 of 3,849
  Hm, UI is stellar comapred to most competitors because it works right out of the box and not only after several months with 10 firmware updates. It has its shortcomings though (no album artist sorting, no playlist of songs from external and internal memory at the same time, most sound "enhancements" are pretty uselss and EQ is very limited) but basically I am very happy with it.

You're talking about the F886 right? Could you tell me more about its sound quality? 
Edit: and how does the design feel while using it? 'Cause I certainly like the aluminum of the ZX-100. It's hard to tell from pictures how the F886 feels

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,985 of 3,849
  I'm not complaining :)
The screen is sub-par and mine has a slight scratch too ( been using it for 5+ months). 
It is not however a deal breaker.

Perhaps you could resize the album art on your computer? Curious to know if it would help performance at all.

Also, iirc most any drive will slow down if it's at capacity. It's better to keep it slightly below capacity, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back