SONY NW-ZX100
Jul 5, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,941 of 3,849
Same here. According to people who could read the Vietnamese tear-down (http://www.head-fi.org/t/779340/sony-nw-zx100-dap/1725), the battery is soldered. So I guess to some people with good soldering skills the battery can be swapped, if they manage to find a replacement, but for us others it is fixed. :/

I´ve read somewhere (can´t remember where, maybe at the user´s manual??) that in case if needed the device can be sent to a Sony repair centre for the battery to be swapped.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,942 of 3,849

I´ve read somewhere (can´t remember where, maybe at the user´s manual??) that in case if needed the device can be sent to a Sony repair centre for the battery to be swapped.

You would need better "service" than I got here in Australia some years ago.  I got nowhere trying to find out if SONY would replace the battery in another older DAP.  I got the impression they just were not interested in helping with such an "unimportant" item.  But maybe things are better now and the ZX100 would receive greater respect.  But if we are careful not to constantly flatten the Li battery, it should give good service for many years so should not be a concern.  Batteries on all DAPs and other items have limited , but still very good, life.  And soldering the battery would be essential as contacts can corrode and that would be a disaster in a confined, small DAP.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,943 of 3,849
  You would need better "service" than I got here in Australia some years ago.  I got nowhere trying to find out if SONY would replace the battery in another older DAP.  I got the impression they just were not interested in helping with such an "unimportant" item.  But maybe things are better now and the ZX100 would receive greater respect.  But if we are careful not to constantly flatten the Li battery, it should give good service for many years so should not be a concern.  Batteries on all DAPs and other items have limited , but still very good, life.  And soldering the battery would be essential as contacts can corrode and that would be a disaster in a confined, small DAP.

Well that´s a bummer than, sorry if i mislead anyone when referring that the battery could be swapped...Let´s hope for all of us ZX100 owners that the battery lasts forever ahahaha

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,944 of 3,849
I remember older walkmans from sony had a clip stye battery so you could swap it easily (no solder skills)

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #2,945 of 3,849
  I remember older walkmans from sony had a clip stye battery so you could swap it easily (no solder skills)

My hd-5 has a swappable battery, and that's why I'm hesitant on buying any newer sony dap because I know the battery will eventually diminish and sony won't do a ******* thing to help you

they make good products but their service is absolute trash

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,946 of 3,849

My hd-5 has a swappable battery, and that's why I'm hesitant on buying any newer sony dap because I know the battery will eventually diminish and sony won't do a ******* thing to help you

they make good products but their service is absolute trash

Sony is such an enormous company with their feet in soooooo many different product genres, that I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty in providing top notch customer service for all of their products. 

I'm not apologizing for them, just offering a bit of perspective. But if they're going to sell all of these products, it's their responsibility to provide customer service for them.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,948 of 3,849
Soldering is not a big deal. But opening the player without damaging it scratching the finish will be challenging.
Would be nice if companies would allow consumers to be able to remove batteries (excluding cell phones) when the time comes.
To think about it, we are wasting so much money paying for sound yet we can't do much when the battery dies off. ZX2 is my last high end purchase and after that I will go back to the walkman / discmans and enjoy recharging AA batteries:rooster:
Same here. According to people who could read the Vietnamese tear-down (http://www.head-fi.org/t/779340/sony-nw-zx100-dap/1725), the battery is soldered. So I guess to some people with good soldering skills the battery can be swapped, if they manage to find a replacement, but for us others it is fixed. :/

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,950 of 3,849
  Well done.  The price being asked by SONY is a bit high when you look at what the A25 is selling for but then a bargain compared to the (reviews say sluggish) Z2 and certainly more attractive than a used Z1.  Like you I pondered for a long time and did daily net searches looking for one at a good price.  The problem with that was most owners of the ZX100 are hanging on to them so used ones are as scarce as hen's teeth.  That is why I initially opted for a used A&K Jnr but hated it, so quickly sold it, eventually ending up with a new ZX100.

As I posted before, headphone quality is very important with the ZX100 if one is to appreciate just how good it is.  Previously happy with the HiFiMan 400S connected to the A series I discovered just how much music I was missing when I finally got around to silver soldering a 3.5mm plug on a quality cable used with the Sennheiser HD800 and using those headphones with the ZX100.  It really was as if a curtain had been lifted from in front of the music.  It might seem over the top to use HD800s with the ZX100 but I can assure owners it is not.  With the HD800S now released (and yes, I have one of them too) used HD800s are around for around the $800 mark now so are more affordable.  No doubt there are other top headphones just as suitable and the ZX100 deserves them.

Bottom line is that a ZX100/quality headphone combo can offer far better AQ than most hi-fi systems for much less outlay with the added advantage it is portable!

But I'm talking to the converted here so will shut up.

Indeed the ZX100 is a great DAP ..i had the cowon plenue D when i compared both the ZX100 had the better detail and clarity 

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,951 of 3,849
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread. I spent the 4th of July weekend reading this entire thread. I feel like I know some of you quite well :) But even after all that reading there were a couple things I'm still unsure of and was hoping someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

1. I'm still a bit baffled by the different regional "versions". Is the "International" version (the one currently on Amazon for ~ $494) basically the same as the Asia Pacific one that Accessory Jack is selling? Meaning, they both don't have a volume cap and they both support English?

2. It seems most people on this thread bought the zx100 WITHOUT headphones. For the people who did get the headphones bundled, how are they? Do you find yourself using them or did you eventually replace them?

3. Most of my library is classical (baroque chamber music - sorry, not a lot of harpsichord :) and I was thinking of pairing the zx100 with Shure SE535s. I saw at least one person on the thread doing that. Anyone else? Any comments about what you like, dislike?

Thanks a lot. I enjoyed reading all the great info.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,952 of 3,849
I agree ZX100 is a great DAP in terms of AQ but the build especially the plastic screen, top and bottom faves being plasti held by glue it is not a single-piece aluminum block like the zx2. Had to trim off a bit of the leatherette grip to stop the vulging of the top face

And accessory jack customer service socks big time no answer yet to my inquiry

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,953 of 3,849
I agree ZX100 is a great DAP in terms of AQ but the build especially the plastic screen, top and bottom faves being plasti held by glue it is not a single-piece aluminum block like the zx2. Had to trim off a bit of the leatherette grip to stop the vulging of the top face

I second this, this is a shame to encase such wonderful electronics in such a disappointing chassis.
It's miles away from ZX1/ZX2 build quality, the plastic screen cover is very prone to scratches (glass would have been welcome), the upper buttons feels weak and anything but sturdy.
I would call this "cutting corners" in terms of manufacturing cost.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,954 of 3,849
Interesting. I prefer the chassis of the ZX100. It's rock solid. To each their own I guess.

About the screen, get yourself a tempered glass protector. It's not like you ever touch the screen anyway, so it doesn't affect performance in any way.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,955 of 3,849
Interesting. I prefer the chassis of the ZX100. It's rock solid. To each their own I guess.

About the screen, get yourself a tempered glass protector. It's not like you ever touch the screen anyway, so it doesn't affect performance in any way.

I saw this player ZX100 on IFA Berlin September 2015 and could compare it to my ZX1 and the ZX2 that was also on display. Soundwisee I could not hear much of a difference, if any, but build quality wise the ZX1 and ZX2 won hands down. So for me no reason to get nervous and buy the ZX100. No in direct comparison it is not very convincing. It is a 250 € player,not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back