SONY NW-ZX100
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,956 of 3,849
  Interesting. I prefer the chassis of the ZX100. It's rock solid. To each their own I guess.

About the screen, get yourself a tempered glass protector. It's not like you ever touch the screen anyway, so it doesn't affect performance in any way.

Ditto. I much prefer my ZX100 to my ZX2. The ZX100 is made more than well enough IMO.
The ZX2 is heavy, clunky and slow to use/poor UI. And anyway the ZX100 sounds just a good IMO.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,957 of 3,849
Ditto. I much prefer my ZX100 to my ZX2. The ZX100 is made more than well enough IMO.
The ZX2 is heavy, clunky and slow to use/poor UI. And anyway the ZX100 sounds just a good IMO.

Exactly. If for nothing more than having hardware buttons rather than a crappy touch screen, the ZX100 wins. My music player should not have a touchscreen. I want to be able to reach in my pocket or bag and control it without looking. Save the touchscreens for phones.

I also just like the rounded sides and that rubbery back is glorious, especially for touching other NFC devices. The buttons are nice and clicky, and the overall aesthetic is retro yet modern. Great looking player. It's not trying to hard to be something it shouldnt be.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,958 of 3,849
I think ZX2 has better Build as it is single CNC macjined block even at top and bottom faces

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,959 of 3,849
And did i mention my Down button from the D-pad is going kaputt, it barely presses now and therefore its hard to navigate downwards

And AccessoryJack not naswering my warranty inquiry, guess it is over... (bought in october 2015)

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,961 of 3,849

And did i mention my Down button from the D-pad is going kaputt, it barely presses now and therefore its hard to navigate downwards

And AccessoryJack not naswering my warranty inquiry, guess it is over... (bought in october 2015)

You already contacted Sony?

Yes and they said in mexico they don't handle this model so they cannot help me​

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,962 of 3,849
Finally got a reply from AJ, too slow to respond but they will issue me an RMA #, I assume i must retur everything from device to cable and instructions, and i assume the invoice, hope i still have it, if my dad didn't thow it away, at least hope i can print it from AJ

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,963 of 3,849
I just got this player. Gave it a quick listen (almost bedtime) and it sounded very good, but I'm so underwhelmed by the screen. I know it is a dedicated music player, but still. It reminds me of my phones' screens 10 years back...

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,964 of 3,849

Pioneer XDP-100R vs ZX100

I have to say if I were in the market for a higher end DAP based on the specs and reviews I would take the Pioneer XDP-100R over the ZX100 any day of the week. 

I can get it for $200.00 less than the ZX100 on Amazon Canada and get it from the US instead of Japan. Android OS, supports DSD, bluetooth, wifi, dual microsd slots plus 32 GB on board, more power, bigger (4.7") higher resolution screen (1280 x 720) that supports HD video.  One of only two DAP's that supports MQA for streaming audio.  The only place the ZX100 tops the XDP-100R is battery life but 16 hours on a DAP with all these features is pretty darn good. 

The XDP-100R makes you realize just how over priced the ZX100 is by comparison.  A Sony DAP with all these features would easily cost twice as much and probably will once the ZX200 is released, assuming it ever is.

It is like getting a steak dinner for the same price or less than a Big Mac meal from McDonalds. Steak for me please!! 

Hey don't take my word for it check it out for yourselves!!

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,965 of 3,849

Pioneer XDP-100R vs ZX100

I have to say if I were in the market for a higher end DAP based on the specs and reviews I would take the Pioneer XDP-100R over the ZX100 any day of the week. 

I can get it for $200.00 less than the ZX100 on Amazon Canada and get it from the US instead of Japan. Android OS, supports DSD, bluetooth, wifi, dual microsd slots plus 32 GB on board, more power, bigger (4.7") higher resolution screen (1280 x 720) that supports HD video.  One of only two DAP's that supports MQA for streaming audio.  The only place the ZX100 tops the XDP-100R is battery life but 16 hours on a DAP with all these features is pretty darn good. 

The XDP-100R makes you realize just how over priced the ZX100 is by comparison.  A Sony DAP with all these features would easily cost twice as much and probably will once the ZX200 is released, assuming it ever is.

It is like getting a steak dinner for the same price or less than a Big Mac meal from McDonalds. Steak for me please!! 

Hey don't take my word for it check it out for yourselves!!

but what about sound quality?

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,967 of 3,849
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread. I spent the 4th of July weekend reading this entire thread. I feel like I know some of you quite well :) But even after all that reading there were a couple things I'm still unsure of and was hoping someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

1. I'm still a bit baffled by the different regional "versions". Is the "International" version (the one currently on Amazon for ~ $494) basically the same as the Asia Pacific one that Accessory Jack is selling? Meaning, they both don't have a volume cap and they both support English?

2. It seems most people on this thread bought the zx100 WITHOUT headphones. For the people who did get the headphones bundled, how are they? Do you find yourself using them or did you eventually replace them?

3. Most of my library is classical (baroque chamber music - sorry, not a lot of harpsichord :) and I was thinking of pairing the zx100 with Shure SE535s. I saw at least one person on the thread doing that. Anyone else? Any comments about what you like, dislike?

Thanks a lot. I enjoyed reading all the great info.

I have the same question about the international version. Anybody knows?

Has anybody used this one or the a17 with an Oppo pm3? If so, what's the verdict?

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #2,968 of 3,849
So am I the only one taking issue with the screen? I looked a bit through the tread and see no complaints. I'm a bit baffled really.
Moreover, when I look up specs I see that even Zx2 (a 1200 dollar device!) has a ****ty screen. Is that because better screens interfere with Sq lol?

Coming from a Sony Walkman A-845, with gorgeous screen, this is a setback.Being able to see album art in good quality adds yo the overall experience. I don't understand why Sony would do this. It certainly doesn't help in convincing curious people that this is a new device and not one that I already have sitting around 10 years

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,969 of 3,849
I believe the screen is absolutely sufficient for a pure DAP. And if you don't find the ZX100 screen good you obviously haven't seen the screens of the DX80, Opus #1, not to mention the jokes of the older DX50/90.

For full Android DAPs which you might use also for youtube, etc different standards apply . Then the Onkyo and Pioneer are of course considered better. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #2,970 of 3,849
i dont have problem with the screen, the small size is just enough to read folders, album, picture also its not a touchscreen so no prob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back