SONY NW-ZX100
Oct 29, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,351 of 3,849
I find it can handle the dynamics pretty well for all music even church organ and orchestral, don't know why you say so

if you listened to more players and headphones, you will know it is below average in its price point. it performs well on its own and well worth the money as a whole package, but you need to COMPARE to know how good sounds can be from others. you say those players are ugly, true, but you don't need to buy or own them, just have a demo. at a similar price, the ugly n6(yes, for me, it is also very ugly) out performs zx100 in almost every aspect in terms of sound. to know where a player is positioned, you need both lower end product and higher ends to be references. it may be the best player you have heard, but how good is it comparing to other choices?

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,352 of 3,849
if you listened to more players and headphones, you will know it is below average in its price point. it performs well on its own and well worth the money as a whole package, but you need to COMPARE to know how good sounds can be from others. you say those players are ugly, true, but you don't need to buy or own them, just have a demo. at a similar price, the ugly n6(yes, for me, it is also very ugly) out performs zx100 in almost every aspect in terms of sound. to know where a player is positioned, you need both lower end product and higher ends to be references. it may be the best player you have heard, but how good is it comparing to other choices?

I think it has more to do with the quality of the recording it self as this player makes some recordings very studio like and other very expansive...

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,353 of 3,849
Really depends on what you like or what you choose to belive is the best sound which most likeky cane from others you chose to admire. I had the AK240 and if one likes vocals like ones mom singing to them the AK240 is a good choice. I had the AK120 and DX90 and this Sony easily is better and versitile. If the Sony wasnt I would just get another.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,354 of 3,849
Really depends on what you like or what you choose to belive is the best sound which most likeky cane from others you chose to admire. I had the AK240 and if one likes vocals like ones mom singing to them the AK240 is a good choice. I had the AK120 and DX90 and this Sony easily is better and versitile. If the Sony wasnt I would just get another.

you have tried them and you make a choice, i am totally fine with that. more over, i support your claim, since you actually have experience with them. but i can't say the same to gerelmx1986, since most of what he says are without a reference, cause he has not experienced the sound of other players.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,355 of 3,849
well, preference definitely plays a more significant role in what you choose, but the technicalities in sound reproduction are something you can't argue about. for example, better layeribg in bass is better layerig in bass, no matter you like a that sound or not.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,356 of 3,849

im interested and amazed how you choose the ZX100 over the AK120 and DX90..
how do you say the Sony is better and versatile? i know it is better in batter life how about the SQ alone?
im along time Sony dap user thou only the cheap models.. for me the sony is OK but i have plenty of
complains about their daps.
1. the usb charging and data cable, i do more prefer the common micro usb.
2. no line out function
3. no gain switch (low/hig)
4. so-so bundles, dont even have a screen protector
5. expensive accessories , case/data cable/etc..

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,357 of 3,849
im interested and amazed how you choose the ZX100 over the AK120 and DX90..
how do you say the Sony is better and versatile? i know it is better in batter life how about the SQ alone?
im along time Sony dap user thou only the cheap models.. for me the sony is OK but i have plenty of
complains about their daps.
1. the usb charging and data cable, i do more prefer the common micro usb.
2. no line out function
3. no gain switch (low/hig)
4. so-so bundles, dont even have a screen protector
5. expensive accessories , case/data cable/etc..
AK sound is shallow especially the 120 and 240. AK EQ sucks it distorts the sound. Sony and Cowons EQ works well and its clean. Ak240 needs an amp period especially with dynamic drivers. Sound alone and I listen to Metal, Alternative, Punk, Jazz, BASS, and Electronic music. I dont listen to single women crying for music nor a dork playing piano.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,358 of 3,849
^ awesome! im getting too excited! i hope i can audition 1 this weekend
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,359 of 3,849
Sent mine back to Amazon. Not all that impressed even though I had very high hopes that this model might be the natural successor to the NW-HD5.

Using IE800 the sound is a cross between ZX1 and ZX2 but minus the 'magic' of either machine. I found the ZX1 to be slightly fatiguing although it was stunning with regards to PRAT. This aspect is tempered with the ZX100 which does make for a smoother listen. The soundscape on the ZX100 is very good and everything seems in the right place, especially if you like the Sony sound anyway. But there is no question in my mind that the quality is below the ZX1 and ZX2. Obviously it is not expected to match the ZX2 but the difference is significant.

UI is not great. I was looking forward to getting back to buttons but I found that there is lag, especially when navigating HD music. Overall it looks and operates like a phone from 2008. I imagine that trying to navigate 256GB with this UI would not be an ideal experience.

No doubt that it's a nice player to hold, the size and weight is great and of course the battery life is stellar.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,360 of 3,849
Sent mine back to Amazon. Not all that impressed even though I had very high hopes that this model might be the natural successor to the NW-HD5.

Using IE800 the sound is a cross between ZX1 and ZX2 but minus the 'magic' of either machine. I found the ZX1 to be slightly fatiguing although it was stunning with regards to PRAT. This aspect is tempered with the ZX100 which does make for a smoother listen. The soundscape on the ZX100 is very good and everything seems in the right place, especially if you like the Sony sound anyway. But there is no question in my mind that the quality is below the ZX1 and ZX2. Obviously it is not expected to match the ZX2 but the difference is significant.

UI is not great. I was looking forward to getting back to buttons but I found that there is lag, especially when navigating HD music. Overall it looks and operates like a phone from 2008. I imagine that trying to navigate 256GB with this UI would not be an ideal experience.

No doubt that it's a nice player to hold, the size and weight is great and of course the battery life is stellar.
Good luck on the next one.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,362 of 3,849

you have tried them and you make a choice, i am totally fine with that. more over, i support your claim, since you actually have experience with them. but i can't say the same to gerelmx1986, since most of what he says are without a reference, cause he has not experienced the sound of other players.

I do have experienced a fiio x3, an iPod  and previous walkmen, all sounded from dull to nice and weirdo, zx100 is the first one i note it gives me natural sounds

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,363 of 3,849

why not get the zx2 and give it a shot (a try-out)?

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,364 of 3,849
I did get to try the ZX2 for a couple of weeks over the summer. Liked it a lot but, as I say, I had high hopes for the ZX100 so I waited until it came out. Definitely going to go back to the ZX2, just waiting to find a Japanese model without the volume limit.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,365 of 3,849
  I did get to try the ZX2 for a couple of weeks over the summer. Liked it a lot but, as I say, I had high hopes for the ZX100 so I waited until it came out. Definitely going to go back to the ZX2, just waiting to find a Japanese model without the volume limit.

accessoryjack.com has the Honkong version for a lower price at leats i have seen it as low as 900 USD, currently at 1069

maybe you need to burn the unit more (zx100) and perhaps you forgot to disable sound enhancements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back