SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #45,646 of 45,723
This is the list I've compiled so far. Any of these good with the 1A or 1Z?

Audio Technica ATH-CK2000Ti and ATH-CM2000Ti
Sennheiser IE800S
Sony XBA-N3BP
DUNU DK2001 and DK3001Pro
AZLA AZL-AZLA-ORTA
Otocharaku Flat4-Sakura

I would recommend not limiting yourself to only IEM’s that come with a 4.4mm stock cable.

Any IEM with a detachable cable can be used. All you have to do is look for an aftermarket cable with a 4.4mm termination that uses the same connector as your chosen IEM (mmcx, 2-pin etc).

Aftermarket cables can be found cheaply and easily on places like AliExpress or the Japanese audio stores you have access to (most likely you can audition them there as well which is a great benefit) and in most cases, these cables will provide the same, if not better ergonomics and sound quality than the stock cables you get with most IEM’s.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #45,648 of 45,723
Not wanting to faff around with buying/installing Parallels or Bootcamp or whatever, I took the hardcore lazy step of sending my WM1A to @Nayparm to be hardware modded.
Whilst he was doing that, I cheekily asked if he wouldn't mind upgrading to the latest MrWalkman FW too while he was at it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just received the HW/FW modded WM1A back now, featuring his 'ought to be trademarked' hardcore Audionote Kasei mod, along with our very own MrWalkman's latest WM1A/Z++.
The player is set to WM1A; i.e. I haven't switched it, as I was feeling I wanted something a bit less warm and organic, to offer an alternative to the WM1Z (which by the way is running whichever version of WM1A/Z++ was made available as a Mac .dmg version).

Am listening to it with the Solaris 2020 (on 3.5mm output, as I haven't found a balanced cable that gives me the right synergy yet) and comparing it with the WM1Z now :)

Bear in mind that the newly HW-modded WM1A has had almost no burn-in so far, and I feel that there's a good scientific basis for burning in capacitors.
Still, after back and forth with the same song a bunch of times, the differences between the two units seems more about sound signature that overall quality.

I feel there's more organic warmth in the WM1Z.
Mids may be slightly more forward on the WM1A, and there seems to be a bit more clarity and definition.

I guess it's a testament to the quality of these mods that I can't really tell the difference :D
But it's early days yet; I'll do a thorough burn-in for a week or so, then report back.

@MrWalkman apologies if this has already been answered (I did a quick check but couldn't see it in FAQ's):
So I'm running your latest WM1A/Z++ 2.0
It's set to 'WM1A' currently; if I want to use the built in model switching function to change it to WM1Z temporarily (to test against my real WM1Z), and then change back to the WM1A, is it as straightforward as just selecting the appropriate option each time?
Or will I need to do anything extra, or are any other settings affected by this?
Thank you (for any answer you may provide, plus again for the terrific FW mods!) :)

Ha! Yes, that's option, but an expensive one :relaxed:

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #45,649 of 45,723
This is the list I've compiled so far. Any of these good with the 1A or 1Z?

Audio Technica ATH-CK2000Ti and ATH-CM2000Ti
Sennheiser IE800S
Sony XBA-N3BP
DUNU DK2001 and DK3001Pro
AZLA AZL-AZLA-ORTA
Otocharaku Flat4-Sakura

Now I'm using two models, IMR RAH and Fiio FH3. I would recommend the FH3 for the money is a nice option, and makes a nice combo with the wm1a.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #45,650 of 45,723
I would recommend giving a try to WM1A 2.0 mods. They will change the base sound for your 1A to the one of the 1Z - wider soundstage, better bass response, at least.

There's a link in my signature :)

Ah, that's actually what I'm using already on the WM1A; the WM1A/Z++ 2.0 :)
It's sounding mighty fine by the way too :D

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #45,651 of 45,723
Ah, that's actually what I'm using already on the WM1A; the WM1A/Z++ 2.0 :)
It's sounding mighty fine by the way too :D

It should sound very very close to a WM1Z using WM1A/Z++ 1.4 basically - or, if your 1A is now hardware modded, maybe it sounds better :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #45,652 of 45,723
Can someone recommend an Over Ear headphone for this DAP? WM1A.
Below $500 USD that can drive them without external amplification. I already own the Sony WH-1000xm2, but wanted something that sounded better wired.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #45,655 of 45,723
Thanks! That’s what I meant over ear. Not my language. Will they sound better than the 1000Xm2?
Oh yea. A lot better. And I own both.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #45,656 of 45,723
Sony MDR-1AM2 will be a nice combo with the WM1A, also includes the 4.4 cable, but they are over ear.
my recommendation too!

the MDR-1AM is very balanced and has a surprising sub bass for 40 mm drivers. this is my current configuration on the WM1A with Chameleon 2.0 switched to 1Z. Best combo I ever had...

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #45,659 of 45,723
Can someone recommend an Over Ear headphone for this DAP? WM1A.
Below $500 USD that can drive them without external amplification. I already own the Sony WH-1000xm2, but wanted something that sounded better wired.

Thanks
I use the Shure SHR1540 with an aftermarket 4.4mm balanced cable on high gain and am very happy with the results.

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #45,660 of 45,723
I use the Shure SHR1540 with an aftermarket 4.4mm balanced cable on high gain and am very happy with the results.
Same. Best headphones in that price range by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back