SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #45,631 of 45,723
I have my M7 currently with xelastecs, they do isolate. But havent tested on a train setting. Tried the M7 on the German bullet train and they do isolate very well using the sony hybrids
I’m thinking the type that you don’t wrap behind your ear. Just plug them in my ears and I press play on my 1Z and 1A

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #45,632 of 45,723
You could look into the XBA-N3 if they are still available. I have them but I prefer something with the over ear cable design because it provides a more stable fit.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #45,633 of 45,723
that the Chameleon Firmware is just the Stock Firmware with option to switch between the Models?
Yep, and some other useful features - you need to read MrWalkman FAQ first.
I'd suggest trying Chameleon 2 with 1Z switch,
BUT after a bit of listening to your 1A "as it comes" to feel the difference -
give it a try "out of the box", realize how it sounds, feel its SS,
especially if you haven't owned it before,
then go with updates.

Way of the Samurai :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #45,634 of 45,723
So, what are you Mac users using to install the CFW?

Not wanting to faff around with buying/installing Parallels or Bootcamp or whatever, I took the hardcore lazy step of sending my WM1A to @Nayparm to be hardware modded.
Whilst he was doing that, I cheekily asked if he wouldn't mind upgrading to the latest MrWalkman FW too while he was at it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just received the HW/FW modded WM1A back now, featuring his 'ought to be trademarked' hardcore Audionote Kasei mod, along with our very own MrWalkman's latest WM1A/Z++.
The player is set to WM1A; i.e. I haven't switched it, as I was feeling I wanted something a bit less warm and organic, to offer an alternative to the WM1Z (which by the way is running whichever version of WM1A/Z++ was made available as a Mac .dmg version).

Am listening to it with the Solaris 2020 (on 3.5mm output, as I haven't found a balanced cable that gives me the right synergy yet) and comparing it with the WM1Z now :)

Bear in mind that the newly HW-modded WM1A has had almost no burn-in so far, and I feel that there's a good scientific basis for burning in capacitors.
Still, after back and forth with the same song a bunch of times, the differences between the two units seems more about sound signature that overall quality.

I feel there's more organic warmth in the WM1Z.
Mids may be slightly more forward on the WM1A, and there seems to be a bit more clarity and definition.

I guess it's a testament to the quality of these mods that I can't really tell the difference :D
But it's early days yet; I'll do a thorough burn-in for a week or so, then report back.

@MrWalkman apologies if this has already been answered (I did a quick check but couldn't see it in FAQ's):
So I'm running your latest WM1A/Z++ 2.0
It's set to 'WM1A' currently; if I want to use the built in model switching function to change it to WM1Z temporarily (to test against my real WM1Z), and then change back to the WM1A, is it as straightforward as just selecting the appropriate option each time?
Or will I need to do anything extra, or are any other settings affected by this?
Thank you (for any answer you may provide, plus again for the terrific FW mods!) :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #45,635 of 45,723
I’m thinking the type that you don’t wrap behind your ear. Just plug them in my ears and I press play on my 1Z and 1A

I have for many years run the cable to any iem where at all possible over ear and down the neck rather than under chin and much prefer this arrangement. I have always hated pre formed ear hooks or wire and the stock Z1R cable is the first where I’ve been OK with hooks

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #45,636 of 45,723
Yep, and some other useful features - you need to read MrWalkman FAQ first.
I'd suggest trying Chameleon 2 with 1Z switch,
BUT after a bit of listening to your 1A "as it comes" to feel the difference -
give it a try "out of the box", realize how it sounds, feel its SS,
especially if you haven't owned it before,
then go with updates.

Way of the Samurai:)

Thanks a lot for your help. I wasn't sure if i understood it correctly :)

Just to be clear :gs1000smile:

WM1A/Z+ is improved sound with 1A and 1Z switcher

Chameleon is stock sound with 1A and 1Z switcher

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #45,637 of 45,723
I have for many years run the cable to any iem where at all possible over ear and down the neck rather than under chin and much prefer this arrangement. I have always hated pre formed ear hooks or wire and the stock Z1R cable is the first where I’ve been OK with hooks
Yea, which is why the M9 and M7 are off my list. One option is the Sony XBA-N3BP. Sunday, I'm going to E-Earphone to sample more IEMs with my 1A and 1Z. But I'm trying to figure out which IEM's have the 4.4mm balanced connector

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #45,638 of 45,723
Only CHAMELEON has the stock sound for 1A or for 1Z.

WM1A/Z+ and ++ have a different sound, so they are not suitable for comparison against stock players.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #45,639 of 45,723
Not wanting to faff around with buying/installing Parallels or Bootcamp or whatever, I took the hardcore lazy step of sending my WM1A to @Nayparm to be hardware modded.
Whilst he was doing that, I cheekily asked if he wouldn't mind upgrading to the latest MrWalkman FW too while he was at it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just received the HW/FW modded WM1A back now, featuring his 'ought to be trademarked' hardcore Audionote Kasei mod, along with our very own MrWalkman's latest WM1A/Z++.
The player is set to WM1A; i.e. I haven't switched it, as I was feeling I wanted something a bit less warm and organic, to offer an alternative to the WM1Z (which by the way is running whichever version of WM1A/Z++ was made available as a Mac .dmg version).

Am listening to it with the Solaris 2020 (on 3.5mm output, as I haven't found a balanced cable that gives me the right synergy yet) and comparing it with the WM1Z now :)

Bear in mind that the newly HW-modded WM1A has had almost no burn-in so far, and I feel that there's a good scientific basis for burning in capacitors.
Still, after back and forth with the same song a bunch of times, the differences between the two units seems more about sound signature that overall quality.

I feel there's more organic warmth in the WM1Z.
Mids may be slightly more forward on the WM1A, and there seems to be a bit more clarity and definition.

I guess it's a testament to the quality of these mods that I can't really tell the difference :D
But it's early days yet; I'll do a thorough burn-in for a week or so, then report back.

@MrWalkman apologies if this has already been answered (I did a quick check but couldn't see it in FAQ's):
So I'm running your latest WM1A/Z++ 2.0
It's set to 'WM1A' currently; if I want to use the built in model switching function to change it to WM1Z temporarily (to test against my real WM1Z), and then change back to the WM1A, is it as straightforward as just selecting the appropriate option each time?
Or will I need to do anything extra, or are any other settings affected by this?
Thank you (for any answer you may provide, plus again for the terrific FW mods!) :)
To answer your question, Yes. It’s as easy as just switching the model back and forth on thr player itself. You don’t have to do anything else though. But bear in mind the external tuning of your player will always be 1A whatever mode you switch to. If you want the external tuning to be 1Z you need to run the same custom firmware of your choice again after switching the model but like I said it’s not necessary unless you want a slightly different sound.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #45,640 of 45,723
To answer your question, Yes. It’s as easy as just switching the model back and forth on thr player itself. You don’t have to do anything else though. But bear in mind the external tuning of your player will always be 1A whatever mode you switch to. If you want the external tuning to be 1Z you need to run the same custom firmware of your choice again after switching the model but like I said it’s not necessary unless you want a slightly different sound.

Thanks very much! I was just thinking that I could temporarily switch it to WM1Z mode in order to more accurately compare the modded WM1A against my WM1Z :)

I've been trying out the DSEE HX AI setting.
It changed a 128kbps MP3 file of a Chinese pop music track (that I can't find in FLAC) to sound significantly smoother, richer and more enjoyable.
I noticed on some 16 bit FLAC files that it seems to bring quiet background sounds into a more prominent and noticeable position.
Listening to Van Morrison's 'The Healing Game (Alternative Version, from Still On Top CD 2), for the first time I really noticed a piano playing near the end from 3m 28s onwards, when the tin whistle (not sure what instrument that is actually, but this is my best guess) is playing.

I noticed similar small background details afresh on other songs too. Really enjoyable.
The Luddite part of me still feels vaguely uncomfortable using DSEE HX AI, just in case I'm somehow now hearing the track differently than it's supposed to be or whatever :sweat_smile:

NB: am listening with the modded WM1A, so some of this difference might also be to do with the DAP itself, but I A/B tested with the HSEE HX AI setting switched on and off, and there's a definite difference in presentation between the two :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #45,641 of 45,723
NB: am listening with the modded WM1A, so some of this difference might also be to do with the DAP itself, but I A/B tested with the HSEE HX AI setting switched on and off, and there's a definite difference in presentation between the two :)

I would recommend giving a try to WM1A 2.0 mods. They will change the base sound for your 1A to the one of the 1Z - wider soundstage, better bass response, at least.

There's a link in my signature :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #45,642 of 45,723
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but, what happens if I install Chameleon in my 1Z? Will the 'Model Switch' allow me to have a 1A sound? Not that I want that but I'm curious about it...

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #45,643 of 45,723
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but, what happens if I install Chameleon in my 1Z? Will the 'Model Switch' allow me to have a 1A sound? Not that I want that but I'm curious about it...

Yes, but the base sound of 1Z will still be there, aka the wider soundstage, etc.

Only the external tuning changes.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #45,644 of 45,723
This is the list I've compiled so far. Any of these good with the 1A or 1Z?

Audio Technica ATH-CK2000Ti and ATH-CM2000Ti
Sennheiser IE800S
Sony XBA-N3BP
DUNU DK2001 and DK3001Pro
AZLA AZL-AZLA-ORTA
Otocharaku Flat4-Sakura

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #45,645 of 45,723
Hello WM1A/Z Fans out there,

i will receive my WM1A tomorrow and i will install a custom firmware for WM1Z sound :L3000:

Which firmware is recommend? Can i just install the WM1A/Z+ Firmware from MrWalkman and switch to 1Z Sound?

Do i understand correctly that the Chameleon Firmware is just the Stock Firmware with option to switch between the Models? But WM1A/Z+ Firmware is the improved Firmware also with the option to switch?

Thanks for you help :gs1000smile:

Hi! May be with a brand new unit will be better let the stock FW till you can feel the difference from new to + 200h burn-in as sony recommend, and then when you "know" the original sound from the WM1A make the change to chamaleon 2.0 just to recognize the improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back