SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #45,571 of 45,723
That's last year's MQ and is a rating for commercially available add-on products.

I work in cybersecurity and what you need to know is that Gartner is ranking products based on features and capabilities that are important to enterprises. So it's more than how does it do protecting against viruses and malware. The much better judge of a solution like endpoint protection is how does it protect when measured against things like the MITRE ATT&CK framework. Microsoft Defender ATP which is only available to enterprises (and what was used for this ranking), is different and contains a lot more capabilities than Windows 10 Defender. I think in our internal testing Defender ATP came in second or third and the other two vendors in our top three are in Gartner's lower left and lower right quadrants. Also, one of the vendors in the top right quadrant was ranked at the bottom when we tested it. So I wouldn't take everything Gartner says as canon.

When it comes to personal computing protection there are much better solutions than Windows Defender. I couldn't tell you as I don't do Windows :stuck_out_tongue:. I'm a macOS and Linux guy.

We're drifting a ways off topic but absent other published results by reputable independent research firms Gartner is a good base to build on. My point wasn't specific to any version of Defender, but rather that Microsoft knows what they are doing in this space (and if one is being thwarted by Defender there's usually a good reason why).

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-microsoft-spends-over-1-billion-on-cybersecurity-each-year/

I'd be very curious to see independent results point to better-performing security solution for Windows.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #45,573 of 45,723
Your experience is probably unique as Gartner seems to point to Microsoft as providing the best protection...

https://www.gartner.com/

Yes at the expense of many false positives! but microsoft sent the only one in this train! and yes its also a good antivirus it just skiped a ransonware i downloaded last year and almost destriy one of my 8TB drives good I had backups! KAV use d to be the best out there also i would not guide for those charts since many users may have win 8 not updated wich its less secure than 10 for shure so yes and NO

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #45,574 of 45,723
We're drifting a ways off topic but absent other published results by reputable independent research firms Gartner is a good base to build on. My point wasn't specific to any version of Defender, but rather that Microsoft knows what they are doing in this space (and if one is being thwarted by Defender there's usually a good reason why).

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-microsoft-spends-over-1-billion-on-cybersecurity-each-year/

I'd be very curious to see independent results point to better-performing security solution for Windows.
Its not off topic if some users get to show us how gorgeus theyr lives are so no no off*topic please this is indeed very interesting!

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #45,575 of 45,723
This thread feels like a little community on its own here. It's nice, you're all nice people :)

Just a little more off-topic... Let's hope we don't upset our moderator daddies with it :D

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #45,576 of 45,723
I don't mind a bit of off topic stuff as long as it is positive, I just hope we don't hit a post limit like the Walkman song limit :scream:

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #45,577 of 45,723
I just hope WindBlows Dirtfender doesn´t block this thread....
I´m just glad to be a Mac Os user since 2012 and the fact that i don´t need to use any AV...
Also i used to work for Microsoft...Office 365 exchange online...
Anyway back on topic, really digging @MrWalkman new take on the Chameleon, and looking forward for his DMP cooked fw!!!

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #45,578 of 45,723
I just hope WindBlows Dirtfender doesn´t block this thread....
I´m just glad to be a Mac Os user since 2012 and the fact that i don´t need to use any AV...
Also i used to work for Microsoft...Office 365 exchange online...
Anyway back on topic, really digging @MrWalkman new take on the Chameleon, and looking forward for his DMP cooked fw!!!
how dare you call windows defender that way! Get back evil get back! this is heresy madness! there must be something wrong with your PC...
descarga (1).png
''Also i used to work for Microsoft...Office 365 exchange online''... (thrilling experience vs mac haha)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #45,579 of 45,723
how dare you call windows defender that way! Get back evil get back! this is heresy madness! there must be something wrong with your PC...
descarga (1).png
''Also i used to work for Microsoft...Office 365 exchange online''... (thrilling experience vs mac haha)
There is no problem, he states he's a Mac user.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #45,580 of 45,723
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #45,581 of 45,723
The best reviews have you kind of know they are telling the truth. They will go around some of the bad points but in a way that doesn't have to be critical to get the reality across. So..........they may have keyed into some aspects that you can relate to. Then you know it's true because they are taking about concepts that you already understand. They will describe some stuff that makes you curious. Reviews should simply generate curiosity. Then on the demo you find if there is anything they missed or find out there are descriptions which may not coincide with your understanding of the IEM. Reviews can be misleading, especially if they are simply to generate advertising or ARE advertising. But I know of a reviewer which loves this $200 IEM and has talked about it often. I may have a different idea about the same IEM. At that point I realize that they simply value a different sound signature than I. They are sincere but have different taste.

A demo will tell you what was correct for you about the review. But hopefully the reviewer made you emotional to the point of getting into the demo seat. That's their job; to get people to try stuff by correctly conveying concepts and ideas.

Cheers!
This somehow describe how I feel at time. Also, I'm genuinely curious about WM1A/Z right now. So tempted to buy either of them, I sort of have this feeling that I will be very satisfied with their perfomance. Of course, I have to plan my finances properly as well. The Z is so much more expensive then the A. I will have to demo them thoroughly before deciding. I'm not really a technical audiophile when it comes to auditioning a piece of audio gear. I'm more towards "wow, the bass is good", "omg, the vocals are amazing", "I can definitely feel him pluck the string here" kind of guy here. Mostly go by how I feel about the songs rather than describing it with jargons used around here.

I don't own the 1Z, but I'm fairly certain that a WM1A with CHAMELEON 2.0, switched to 1Z, sounds the closest possible to the actual 1Z, minus the hardware differences.

The soundstage is indeed wide. It's wider than the WM1A, and also wider than the FiiO M11 PRO. The FiiO DAP is the only other player I owned.

My opinion is that these players have their own way of presenting the music. I say this because the WM1Z doesn't have that soundstage just because of the different components. So it's obvious that Sony tuned these players differently.

For example, I like soundstage. I don't want the sound to be as technically accurate as possible, I just want to hear something I like, so WM1Z would be a nice player to own. Luckily, WM1A can come very close to that, and I don't feel like I need to buy the WM1Z. I was considering it at some point, some months ago, but not anymore.

In the end it should be about experimentation and finding out what you like. Reviews can help you get an idea about a certain product, but in the end it's your experimentation with it that will lead you to a conclusion.

By the way, I get that we like these players so much, and we may feel aggressive when someone may seem like trying to say something bad about them. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. :)
This got me thinking, will the Z go even further then what the A could achieve given the same situation. Should one spend that extra thousands just so that one won't regret not getting the Z initially. :sweat_smile:

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #45,582 of 45,723
This somehow describe how I feel at time. Also, I'm genuinely curious about WM1A/Z right now. So tempted to buy either of them, I sort of have this feeling that I will be very satisfied with their perfomance. Of course, I have to plan my finances properly as well. The Z is so much more expensive then the A. I will have to demo them thoroughly before deciding. I'm not really a technical audiophile when it comes to auditioning a piece of audio gear. I'm more towards "wow, the bass is good", "omg, the vocals are amazing", "I can definitely feel him pluck the string here" kind of guy here. Mostly go by how I feel about the songs rather than describing it with jargons used around here.

This got me thinking, will the Z go even further then what the A could achieve given the same situation. Should one spend that extra thousands just so that one won't regret not getting the Z initially. :sweat_smile:
Japan has quite a few used ones going if that suits your needs.

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #45,585 of 45,723
Just helps to understand where the person writing it is truly coming from. What happens is everything goes together to form an end sound. It’s normally never one thing having character. We try to find a avenue to understanding on what an IEM is about. All products seem to have a character. So it’s actually easy. You simply describe the combinations. The fun is in the surprises, then at the end of using an array of equipment you can generalize. Though typically broad generalizations can be trouble. Today I went from the 1Z to the $139.00 FiiO E17K, for completeness.......and yes, it was different, but in a great way.

Edit:

Well. Everyone has their own ideas. Though having a single source that you trust can maybe make things simple. Still not everyone’s going to have what you have. In the end it doesn’t matter anyway.

This is all subjective and people hear different ways. Anything someone says should be followed up with a demo.

The best thing a review can do is help find something that you may overlook, by describing an IEM in a way that makes you want to take a long listen.
I very much agree! Its very convenient when a reviewer mentions the rig he used while testing as to give the reader a point of reference. Most reviewers often forget to mention this fact and 9/10, i as a reader, wouldnt bother to read any of his/her succeeding reviews (im sure im not the only one with this kind of a pov). More readers = more word of mouth = more recognition. Cheers everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back