SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #45,586 of 45,723
I don't own the 1Z, but I'm fairly certain that a WM1A with CHAMELEON 2.0, switched to 1Z, sounds the closest possible to the actual 1Z, minus the hardware differences.

The soundstage is indeed wide. It's wider than the WM1A, and also wider than the FiiO M11 PRO. The FiiO DAP is the only other player I owned.

My opinion is that these players have their own way of presenting the music. I say this because the WM1Z doesn't have that soundstage just because of the different components. So it's obvious that Sony tuned these players differently.

For example, I like soundstage. I don't want the sound to be as technically accurate as possible, I just want to hear something I like, so WM1Z would be a nice player to own. Luckily, WM1A can come very close to that, and I don't feel like I need to buy the WM1Z. I was considering it at some point, some months ago, but not anymore.

In the end it should be about experimentation and finding out what you like. Reviews can help you get an idea about a certain product, but in the end it's your experimentation with it that will lead you to a conclusion.

By the way, I get that we like these players so much, and we may feel aggressive when someone may seem like trying to say something bad about them. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. :)

Nice work here MrWalkman!

I had the wm1a a few months ago and changed it for a fiio m11pro, ibasso dx200 amp8 and a hiby r6pro. First off all I was looking for more amplification and something to try the android on DAPs. The big issue was that I didnt find the organic and rich sound from sony, I felt the soundstage on the M11Pro very wide and a lot of air and space between layers, also black floor, I liked that a lot but IMO the sound was a little bit cold. Only the ibasso dx200 amp8 was very near to that kind of sound I was looking for and with more amplification than wm1a, but the battery life and lag issues forced me to sell it very fast.

I had the chance to buy again the wm1a (with less than 200h) and believe me your Chamaleon 2.0 is wonderful!! The soundstage is at the same level or even better than m11pro, the bass is better IMO too. The only thing I miss is that black floor that the THX amp provides.

I am experienced a little less battery life than before with this wm1a, I suppose that it is because of the better amplification that the software is demanding now with the new FW.

Again Nice Work!!

Regards.
MTY

Many thanks!

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #45,587 of 45,723
Nice work here MrWalkman!

I had the wm1a a few months ago and changed it for a fiio m11pro, ibasso dx200 amp8 and a hiby r6pro. First off all I was looking for more amplification and something to try the android on DAPs. The big issue was that I didnt find the organic and rich sound from sony, I felt the soundstage on the M11Pro very wide and a lot of air and space between layers, also black floor, I liked that a lot but IMO the sound was a little bit cold. Only the ibasso dx200 amp8 was very near to that kind of sound I was looking for and with more amplification than wm1a, but the battery life and lag issues forced me to sell it very fast.

I had the chance to buy again the wm1a (with less than 200h) and believe me your Chamaleon 2.0 is wonderful!! The soundstage is at the same level or even better than m11pro, the bass is better IMO too. The only thing I miss is that black floor that the THX amp provides.

I am experienced a little less battery life than before with this wm1a, I suppose that it is because of the better amplification that the software is demanding now with the new FW.

Again Nice Work!!

Regards.
MTY

Many thanks!
Thanks for sharing. When you intend to get back to wm1a, did you ever considering to get the Z instead? What made you settle for wm1a instead of wm1z? I'm also looking to get my hands on either the A or the Z.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #45,588 of 45,723
Sep 24, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #45,589 of 45,723
Thanks for sharing. When you intend to get back to wm1a, did you ever considering to get the Z instead? What made you settle for wm1a instead of wm1z? I'm also looking to get my hands on either the A or the Z.

I have never consider to buy the wm1z, Its not easy to bring it to México, the official store neither sell it here, thats why that possibility never cross my mind I think. But in your case if the budget is not an issue I can suggest to go for the z.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #45,590 of 45,723
Wav files require 1.4MB/sec. Flac files around 0.6-0.7MB/sec. That's why you cannot tell the difference.
Even SanDisk Ultra microsd provides 100MB/sec, then there shall be no difference at all. 😊

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #45,592 of 45,723
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #45,593 of 45,723
Both since forever and then some :)

Q-6

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #45,594 of 45,723

My conspiracy theory is it's all about the tuning of the firmware and the hardware is more important of what can support those frequency responses that make it all good baby bab-e!

HiBy R8 looks interesting but what I love the most about all Sony Walkmans I’ve had and tried (include the lower models) is the sound. It just has a pleasant sound that you can listen for hours! It’s also so musical!

You can pick up a Thx portable external amp If you like that has the black background but this can also be achieved by a really good high end earphone/headphone with a great fit on your ears! My view in the THX is it’s great If you listen to electronic music but I think it’s better suited for film and tv production which is also cool to have a thx portable dac/amp to do when watching something. The F11 Pro is really great value and checks all those boxes IMHO!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #45,595 of 45,723
Hi guys,

My first post on this thread. I own a ZX300 and learned about the improved firmware from @MrWalkman. In reading some of the posts here, Chameleon 2.0 came up. I’m a noob to all this, so what is this? Thank you.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #45,596 of 45,723
Hi guys,

My first post on this thread. I own a ZX300 and learned about the improved firmware from @MrWalkman. In reading some of the posts here, Chameleon 2.0 came up. I’m a noob to all this, so what is this? Thank you.

CHAMELEON 2.0 for WM1A has the stock firmware sound, now closer to the WM1Z sound signature, with the ability to switch the model from WM1A to WM1Z

Q-6

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #45,597 of 45,723
CHAMELEON 2.0 for WM1A has the stock firmware sound, now closer to the WM1Z sound signature, with the ability to switch the model from WM1A to WM1Z

Q-6

ok, thank you. I was wondering whether this was needed for the ZX300. This is a wonderful thing @MrWalkman has done for us all and I’m excited about upgrading my ZX300 which already has a very pleasant sound to begin with.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #45,598 of 45,723
By the way, are you guys expecting to see Sony upgrade the WM1a with a new model any time soon? Seems the 1a and 1z have been on the market for, what, 5 years ...

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #45,599 of 45,723
By the way, are you guys expecting to see Sony upgrade the WM1a with a new model any time soon? Seems the 1a and 1z have been on the market for, what, 5 years ...

I think someone said an upgrade was planned for this year but it's been put off 'til 2021. But don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back