SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #44,326 of 45,723
Typical how long does it take before the unit has enough power to turn on?

I'm concerned about screen burn-in from displaying a static image.

The screen is not on all the time. The images are only shown for a couple of seconds, and then the screen turns off.

In case of charging, you can just press the power button once, the image will show up, and then the screen goes off again after several seconds.

Depending on how empty the battery is, it can take around 10 minutes I would say.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #44,327 of 45,723
The Walkman 1Z has never been referred to as neutral ever, except by people that don't know. Even Sony introduced the 1Z as not neutral................with the 1A Sony introduced closer to neutral. But in the days before 2.0 the 1Z was more syrupy and slow. It was darker, then 3.01 came out making it brighter and faster, then 3.02 came out and continued with the cleaner sound. But the 1Z has a robust bass boost and tweaked up treble. It's an artistic take on a V signature. The interesting thing was before MrWalkmans steroids arrived the 1A was weak and thin. The 1Z was the authoritative choice for many. And while 1A/1Z+ and 1A/1Z++ do improve both players in the same direction, the 1A woke up. Though now it is still a question of taste which is better, some IEMs or headphones like the treble boost of the 1Z. Though if your not used to the treble boost the 1Z can come off bright, despite the bass boost, being the extreme on both ends. Any of us that are infatuated now with the 1A are probably mesmerized by a character of the 1A mids, along with a faster and charismatic bass dept. There is an ongoing surprise in the 1A sub-bass that was never ever there before. These details with the 1A seem to marginalize the love affair that folks had with the 1Z before. So on paper the 1A is maybe still behind the 1Z, the soundstage may still be thicker front to back on the 1Z? But it's the extended expansion right to left and imaging that makes the 1A so much fun. Also there is a special clarity that's new and never heard before; at least for me? So it may be that the treble boost in the 1Z is real detail but the 1A now gets detail from another direction, maybe more authentic? The 1Z is still very amazing and can still be the better DAP for some headphones. Still after listening to the 1A for 3 weeks straight the brightness the 1Z sounds................almost un-needed? IMO :wink:

Just because something like the 1Z is not neutral does not mean it can't go with V or U shaped IEM signatures. The IER-Z1R is U or V shaped and goes great with the 1Z. There is a level though where both the bass or treble can extend up being the character of DAP and IEM before it crosses the line. IMO

That's the whole synergy thing mixing warm and cold characters to arrive somewhere less drastic, but it does not always have to be because we are dealing with Audiophile levels of reproduction that have many many variations in tone and potentials to change.
Great understanding of sound characteristics 👍

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #44,328 of 45,723
Likewise, I was looking for streaming DAP, I just got my first AK SE100 , first ESS Sabre DAC, it's a different sound signature, sound slightly brighter and fun but not fatigue compare to 1Z/1A.
Honestly I would have assumed your description would be opposite, as a LeSabre dac will display alot of trebles, and the latest quad dac versions Actually take on a more euphoric and exaggerated trebles, which are a departure from their trebles issues from the past, while the Sony DAPs that you place both 1a&1z as having any fatigue is really unheard of. Your observations are unique and not the norm. I would look at other aspects of your setup to see what could be the issue.

Well, signatures are not visible on smartphone browsers :)
I can see them in landscape mode on my Android phone.
:)

Yeah, the only "issue" is that for WM1Z owners, they would see 128GB as internal storage instead of 256GB, if they would have the feature applied.
!
Yes, that is the only issue that somebody reported. I honestly don't know how it could happen, but if anyone owning a WM1Z wants to have the battery charging image feature, they can now use the separate installer to apply it, as the mod will not install it automatically.
I will try it on my 1z as well.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #44,329 of 45,723
I did this comparison, recently. I wasn’t blown away. That’s not to say that the DMP-Z1 isn’t good, but I’ve been so spoiled with the gear I already have, it’s hard to jump into that for the price. The DMP-Z1 I think is good. I would like to get it say, for 350,000 yen used. I really don’t feel it’s worth it’s asking price, and that’s after listening to it at the Sony Store in Ginza for 2 hours. I do think it's a wonderful collectible and I want to buy it, but I also need to be responsible.🤷🏻‍♂️
47FB63C6-09DB-4D20-B630-54C03D9D5A08.jpeg
Well, being responsible, that's actually something hard to achieve in this hobby, I'm getting to learn. :)
Perhaps it's just one more advantage love for music, at this sort of level, brings to the table: it gives us an opportunity to develop our personal traits and skills to resist almost continuous temptation. :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #44,330 of 45,723
I did this comparison, recently. I wasn’t blown away. That’s not to say that the DMP-Z1 isn’t good, but I’ve been so spoiled with the gear I already have, it’s hard to jump into that for the price. The DMP-Z1 I think is good. I would like to get it say, for 350,000 yen used. I really don’t feel it’s worth it’s asking price, and that’s after listening to it at the Sony Store in Ginza for 2 hours. I do think it's a wonderful collectible and I want to buy it, but I also need to be responsible.🤷🏻‍♂️

I hear you @Gamerlingual.

In the case of the DMP, I personally can't justify throwing that cash into something that when used, would be enjoyed by one person only..

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #44,331 of 45,723
I hear you @Gamerlingual.

In the case of the DMP, I personally can't justify throwing that cash into something that when used, would be enjoyed by one person only..
I see when you saw all the tech talk from certain people and others saying it destroys other DAPs. Not really? It certainly has more power to juice up the headphones that have high impedance. I won’t deny that as they get loud. I raised the volume up but took my headphones off without listening so I can maintain my hearing. You can hear the music through the headphones.

There are some kind owners out there. Nanaholic comes to mind about how the stuff functions without putting down the players. I appreciate it for what it is and it’s a cool piece of niche tech.

But I’m really happy with my TA and DAPs. Time will tell. For now, keep loving my 1A and 1Z. :relieved:

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #44,332 of 45,723
There are smartphone apps like sonar works that has sound profiles that flattens your headphone frequency response to near ruler flat.

But by doing that you are removing the sound coloration/signature that makes your headphone sound unique in the first place.

True neutral sound will likely make your headphone and music sound boring and life-less to listen to.

Sony Walkman does have coloration of the sound but it is done in a way which sounds great across a multitude of music genres and headphones.

There’s many ways to tune the final sound of your equipment, through rolling firmware, changing DSP settings, changing of ear pads/iem tips or cable upgrades.

What matters most is finding a sound that suits your own listening preferences. What might sound like a bassy mess to you might be what a EDM DJ is liking a lot.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #44,333 of 45,723
I've been spending quite some time listening and comparing all 3.

The WM1A has always sounded more on the cooler side to me. Mine now has the modded firmware, and man did it up the soundstage and overall impact. The IER Z1R + modded WM1A is a perfect pairing. It really is hard to go back to the stock firmware now.

The TAZ gives it that wonderful warmth and to my ears, it sounds like there's quite a bigger soundstage and the bass hits a bit deeper compared to the WM1A. This is on the IERs and the MDRs. When i want to kick back and just relax to some trance, the MDR plus TAZ hits the spot.

The DMP has a more cooler sound and is an interesting device. It's stupid expensive. And back when I tried testing it a few times at stores, i thought it did sound better but for the price.... hmmm. This year, with my job now transitioning to working from home, I'm in front of my computer all day and night. Hated it. If I wanted to listen to my audio in a different room, it became quite a hassle bring the Taz plus the dock plus the WM1A. So this got me looking at a few other options and realizing how much the price adds up when you factor in the price of a dac, amp, cables, player, etc etc. That's when the DMP made absolute sense. An entire audio system that I can just move around the house with ease.

I mainly listen to the DMP with the Meze Empyreans. The Empyreans are a bit TOO warm with the TAZ and the WM1A sounds flat to me for some reason. On the DMP, the Empyreans sound incredibly clear and soundstage and all that other jazz. The IERs sound fantastic on it too, with this weird almost 3d imaging thing going on (I leave the dac filtering on short delay sharp). Not sure why but I don't really care for listening to the DMP with the MDR headphones. The treble comes off a bit too strong for my liking.

I think each device has their wonderful synergy. WM1A+IER Z1R. Taz+MDR Z1R. And DMP with Empyreans/IERs.

Photo Sep 05, 11 09 17 PM.jpg

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #44,334 of 45,723
Spoiler: More about this question If you were on 1Z, and then you switch on 1A and you don't install the firmware again, the sound will mainly be the one of 1A, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1Z sound.

Same goes if you are on 1A, then you switch to 1Z, but then you don't install the firmware again. The sound will mainly be the one of 1Z, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1A sound.
I noticed that whenit is a mix of both, there is more liveliness somehow. Still trying combinations.

The TAZ gives it that wonderful warmth and to my ears, it sounds like there's quite a bigger soundstage and the bass hits a bit deeper compared to the WM1A. This is on the IERs and the MDRs. When i want to kick back and just relax to some trance, the MDR plus TAZ hits the spot
Looks like your a candidate for the mod option @Nayparm .
Then the difference will close the gap.
:)

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #44,335 of 45,723
I've been spending quite some time listening and comparing all 3.

The WM1A has always sounded more on the cooler side to me. Mine now has the modded firmware, and man did it up the soundstage and overall impact. The IER Z1R + modded WM1A is a perfect pairing. It really is hard to go back to the stock firmware now.

The TAZ gives it that wonderful warmth and to my ears, it sounds like there's quite a bigger soundstage and the bass hits a bit deeper compared to the WM1A. This is on the IERs and the MDRs. When i want to kick back and just relax to some trance, the MDR plus TAZ hits the spot.

The DMP has a more cooler sound and is an interesting device. It's stupid expensive. And back when I tried testing it a few times at stores, i thought it did sound better but for the price.... hmmm. This year, with my job now transitioning to working from home, I'm in front of my computer all day and night. Hated it. If I wanted to listen to my audio in a different room, it became quite a hassle bring the Taz plus the dock plus the WM1A. So this got me looking at a few other options and realizing how much the price adds up when you factor in the price of a dac, amp, cables, player, etc etc. That's when the DMP made absolute sense. An entire audio system that I can just move around the house with ease.

I mainly listen to the DMP with the Meze Empyreans. The Empyreans are a bit TOO warm with the TAZ and the WM1A sounds flat to me for some reason. On the DMP, the Empyreans sound incredibly clear and soundstage and all that other jazz. The IERs sound fantastic on it too, with this weird almost 3d imaging thing going on (I leave the dac filtering on short delay sharp). Not sure why but I don't really care for listening to the DMP with the MDR headphones. The treble comes off a bit too strong for my liking.

I think each device has their wonderful synergy. WM1A+IER Z1R. Taz+MDR Z1R. And DMP with Empyreans/IERs.

Since your using the MrWalkman firmwares; have you switched the 1A model over to the 1Z model along with 1A/1Z+? I found that to be a super big deal. I leave the 1Z in 1Z mode with 1A/1Z+..........with both players switched over from U region to “J” region. Also is your TA updated to 1.03? In my mind 1.03 made the TA just slightly brighter, yet still of course laid back. Also there should be some damping factor that’s going to contribute to the TA and DMP-Z1 pulling away with headphones like the MDR-Z1R? The power creates better imaging and slightly cleaner bass, but that’s also a little dependent on your normal volume listening levels.

Interestingly enough the TA also smooths out after 200 hours. Funny though there never has been too much talk about TA firmware or burn-in...... I may be crazy after all?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #44,337 of 45,723
I did the trick @Vitaly2017 said importing the music to music center without copy to computer hard drive . Then did the sense me scan which too the whole night for 12.111 tracks stored in the 400GB card

Checked with MediaGo (there is no tag in the files added) and MediaGo show the mood, and BPM for the songs that are FLAC, for DSD shows nothing as if SensMe doesn't work with DSD
15993860359794243439840272504601.jpg15993860525381353479511021440276.jpg15993860760349222190840628645299.jpg15993860977827110928976609094470.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #44,338 of 45,723
Making do while my 1Z is with @Nayparm

6507C454-D95A-45FC-B749-8E2EA8954C8D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back