SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #44,282 of 45,723
Someone in another thread said the WM1Z is neutral. That is not what I read in this thread, which I trust more. If it was neutral, I would not have been told it is a poor pairing with the EE Phantom.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #44,283 of 45,723
It can. You need to have the image in the folder and name it exactly like the folder’s name.

Haha! That's awesome. I just tried that and it worked. I save to PCM all the time and gave up on album artwork. Thanks for the tip!

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #44,285 of 45,723
Someone in another thread said the WM1Z is neutral. That is not what I read in this thread, which I trust more. If it was neutral, I would not have been told it is a poor pairing with the EE Phantom.
I find the word neutral used too much in reviews of audio gear. Most of the dac/amps or daps I've owned have had the word 'neutral' used in reviews and they have significantly different signatures.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #44,286 of 45,723
It became neutral on the newest firmware. Evolved more and more towards neutral from dark warm and fuzzy with each firmware update. Differences were pretty obvious.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #44,287 of 45,723
It became neutral on the newest firmware. Evolved more and more towards neutral from dark warm and fuzzy with each firmware update. Differences were pretty obvious.

Then I wonder why everyone says it is a poor match with Phantom.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #44,288 of 45,723
Then I wonder why everyone says it is a poor match with Phantom.
I find it a good match with Phantom, but then again I have modded 1Z. Play around with the FW and region. Cable help too

If the iem is pretty good, you could add/deduct certain aspects of the sound and shape it closer to what you like. There are limits of course, you can’t really change iem inherent characteristics but you could shape the outline, making it slightly sharper, or adding a little more weight and so on.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #44,289 of 45,723
Wondering if there is there a definitieve thread on file formatting / exif etc for WM-1a WM-1z ?????

Never really had a problem, dropped a bunch of files to it, by simply opening up in folder after conecting the USB to my MacBook Pro .. open "music" then drop acording to music / artist name / album name / music-file.flac worked painlessly..

BUT wanted to buy the BladeRunner 2049 this morning, found it on Presto Music (and this could be the issue) bought it and downloaded.. no problem, then dropped in as always.. BUT the album did not show up.. gone.

Round two, created the folder structure on the laptop, then dropped the folder/files into Sony Content transfer.. success. now the files show up as new import, but NOT under artist where they are located.. and the album cover is not being read..?

Sooooooo... seems some formatting or editing of exif may happen using Sony Content transfer?
Seems I need to go in and add artist name to exif maybe in order to get this to land right?

Sorry for asking this - but I have been scrolling pages and searching.. and proably are missing it.

Bo

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #44,290 of 45,723
I find it a good match with Phantom, but then again I have modded 1Z. Play around with the FW and region. Cable help too

But stock WM1Z is what I hear is a bad match. Not interested in modding.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #44,291 of 45,723
Wondering if there is there a definitieve thread on file formatting / exif etc for WM-1a WM-1z ?????

Never really had a problem, dropped a bunch of files to it, by simply opening up in folder after conecting the USB to my MacBook Pro .. open "music" then drop acording to music / artist name / album name / music-file.flac worked painlessly..

BUT wanted to buy the BladeRunner 2049 this morning, found it on Presto Music (and this could be the issue) bought it and downloaded.. no problem, then dropped in as always.. BUT the album did not show up.. gone.

Round two, created the folder structure on the laptop, then dropped the folder/files into Sony Content transfer.. success. now the files show up as new import, but NOT under artist where they are located.. and the album cover is not being read..?

Sooooooo... seems some formatting or editing of exif may happen using Sony Content transfer?
Seems I need to go in and add artist name to exif maybe in order to get this to land right?

Sorry for asking this - but I have been scrolling pages and searching.. and proably are missing it.

Bo
It sounds like it doesn't have the proper ID3 tags or artwork. Use Kid3 to check the tags.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #44,292 of 45,723
Small update:

The battery charging image feature implemented in the 1.4 version of the mods
seems to cause an issue when it is applied to some WM1Z. The issue is that the
internal storage will be seen as having only 128GB capacity instead of 256GB.

Because of that, I modified the installer for the mods, so if the player is a WM1Z,
the battery charging image feature will not be applied when installing one of the mods.

Also, if you already installed one of the 1.4 mods, you can revert the change using
a separate installer.

The installer allows you to install or revert this feature, so it can also be used by
stock 3.02 WM1A firmware users that want to have this feature.

You can try installing the feature on your WM1Z, and if you still see 256GB, feel free
to keep it installed.

I placed the installer in the GDrive folder, available on the link from the main post.

LINK TO THE MAIN POST FOR THE MODS

Edit: I already uploaded the new installer for the mods in the GDrive folder, that will not
install the battery charging image feature on a WM1Z.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #44,293 of 45,723
Small update:

The battery charging image feature implemented in the 1.4 version of the mods
seems to cause an issue when it is applied to a WM1Z. The issue is that the
internal storage will be seen as having only 128GB capacity instead of 256GB.

Because of that, I modified the installer for the mods, so if the player is a WM1Z,
the battery charging image feature will not be applied when installing one of the mods.

Also, if you already installed one of the 1.4 mods, you can revert the change using
a separate installer.

The installer allows you to install or revert this feature, so it can also be used by
stock 3.02 WM1A firmware users that want to have this feature.

I placed the installer in the GDrive folder, available on the link from the main post.

LINK TO THE MAIN POST FOR THE MODS

Edit: I already uploaded the new installer for the mods in the GDrive folder, that will not
install the battery charging image feature on a WM1Z.
Ah. So for 1A users who installed the previous version don’t have to do anything right?

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #44,294 of 45,723
Ah. So for 1A users who installed the previous version don’t have to do anything right?

Yeah, the only "issue" is that for WM1Z owners, they would see 128GB as internal storage instead of 256GB, if they would have the feature applied.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #44,295 of 45,723
Yeah, the only "issue" is that for WM1Z owners, they would see 128GB as internal storage instead of 256GB, if they would have the feature applied.
No issue for 1A users who switched models to 1Z either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back