SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #43,951 of 45,723
Thanks,
Man crap happens I am still kinda shocked at the saler but maybe this is for the best who knows what lemon I could of gotten.

Here is what happened I ordered dmp-z1 and kimber kable for my z7m2.
Well the cable was damaged 1 of the core strand got clipped by the plastic Y splitter and it have scraped of the teflon of the copper strand. So the metal was fully exposed! This is 100% wrong and defective out of the box.

I reached the seller and he said oh I see what kind of person you are and I am canceling the sale for dmp-z1, send me the cable back for refund and we are done!

Thats hilarious honestly to me this means he knows he selling damaged stuff at a reduced price and rather have me running him down with ebay and paypal protection he canceled the whole thing.

As I am saying it probably happened for the best.
The kimber cable I got mine from amazon Germany... IMO Amazon's better than ebay

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #43,952 of 45,723
What I have is modded 1Z and Romi 1Z with BG caps. For me, most of my iems are warm such as EE phantom, SE5U, CA Andromeda and JVC FX850 just to name few. I hate cold sounding, clinical iems so that’s to that. And I listen to vocals, acoustic, jazz. My mod 1Z is a cross between regular 1A and 1Z. So maybe the comparison is not fair.

But what I want to say is this. I think using the right firmware is very important. My absolute fav firmware is Cerberus mix with1A/1Z+ with Gear of War flawed upgrade version. It has the best clarity, resolution, etc etc compared to other firmwares. It clears up Phantom thick, syrupy, haze and replace with naturalness. How should I say this ~ it sounds like a very natural EE Zeus with amazing timbre, smacking bass etc. is it a good match? Definitely, it’s no longer warm, syrupy thick iem but become a natural timbre, clear, cutting iem but not clinical, like a perfect Zeus.I use CN region, since has best clarity, resolution of all region. In its place, the thickness of Phantom is cut down a huge portion by the choice of firmware, region, use of cables and mod. It’s kinda like doing EQ, I’m not sure if you notice, but when EQing, it’s better to cut down/ reduce frequencies, rather than add more. It’s kinda the same principle.

Phantom can be a very good match with 1Z, since technically it already have strong basic foundations of good timbre, bass. So you just need to reduce haze, thickness, increase clarity and resolution by choice of firmware, cable, and region. My goal is to get the most natural sounding music, where it’s like you are there in the venue, listening to live music. It can work, Romi modded 1Z is definitely the best modded 1Z I have heard in terms of naturalness. Best bass, extremely immersive, like hey I’m there listening to the singer live. My mods 1Z sounds it’s very wide. Compared to Romi 1Z, everything the same, same firmware, same iem, cable, same songs; Romi sounds very deep, theres very high ceiling and deep bottom, bass hits hard but sounds natural. Soundstage not as wide but everything else is just a couple step higher, very musical and dynamics with emotive vocals. I’m really curious how Romi sounds compared to NayParm modded Kaisei cap version, since Kaisei is basically caps that replace BG caps. It would be amazing to compare the 2 dap together
Well , i totally agree with you. I'm using 1A Kmod ultimate + cerberus. It's more neutral, high resolution and very wide. I also have same impression with 1Z Romi. After burning it become a monter with bass and treb extend but it's still natural. I have tested it with cerberus but maybe dmp-original fw from mr whitigr is best choice with my taste.

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #43,953 of 45,723
I am happy to see you are enjoying the amazing 1z Romi, glad it works out very good for you 🙂

When I had them all 3 at my disposal ( 1z stock, Romi 1z and 1a stock ) i had huge trouble deciding which I keep as I do not gather collection of gear only keep the one that passes my ears approval.

So I decided to keep the one I was grabbing the most and listened the most often. Yes I had the 3 best daps always at my finger tips range 😁 was a very spoiled Tiger!
But believe or not wm1a has won the battle of the titans!

Folks might be very surprised by this results but the real reason behind this is that 1a sounded the most accurate and naturaly closer to life like sound.
Romi 1z is between 1a and 1z but I have a very specific personal reason why I didnt approve it over 1a so I dont want to ruin your pleasure and fun with it by disclosing the details.

Yes yes 1a is the most natural slightly neutralish sound with an amazing musicality that dont compromise sound details...
To me 1a is the right sounding sound tuning 1z is to warm and thick, no matter what fm or region you roll it threw.

I know not an easy statement to accept but I went over it even at high loss in $ and go for what I believe to be a better sound.

You have so much gear! You making some fellas a little jealous 😁😛
Well, Maybe you have a same taste with me. I feel 1Z has more details, better treble, better separate,... but with me 1A is still more natural, more balance and musical. 1Z has more a bit of highmid with my taste. Both of them is ToTL dap but i still prefer 1A. Very happy because you have same impression. Enjoy.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #43,954 of 45,723
For the curious ones my current setup is wm1a, tia fourte noir with premium silver cable, mdr-z7m2 with kimber kable.

I plan to add ier-m9 with kimber kable and thinking highly of the zx507 😁

buy EE Odin :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #43,955 of 45,723
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #43,958 of 45,723
Lol absolutely agree.... but those Odins are starting to play game with my head 😩 ... Would it be cheating with the Z1Rs or would I be getting them a partner? 🤔

Get kimber kable and see how that plays out how can odin win over z1r 🙃😝 you tell me?

Marketing is drilling you a new hole for spendings 🤑

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #43,959 of 45,723
Lol absolutely agree.... but those Odins are starting to play game with my head 😩 ... Would it be cheating with the Z1Rs or would I be getting them a partner? 🤔
Follow your heart... forget your wallet hahaha 😂

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #43,961 of 45,723
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #43,962 of 45,723
BTW, please remind me what the "official" name :) for WM1 ports' rubber protective caps
on Ebay, etc.?
I just ordered a set, so have the info handy:

Black Magic Mini Dust Plug for Sony NW-WM1A WM1A NW-WM1Z WM1Z ZX300 ZX300A 3.5MM 4.4MM Jack (Black)
Brand: IYEWONG

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JHYXVJ79MFDBWNB9NX12

1598824208689.png

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #43,963 of 45,723
I am a sony fan boy 😁😄 need to stay with my sony friends 🙃🙂

Time to become the Tiger Clan Master of Sony fan boy club by owning every Sony audiophile walkman:

WM1A
WM1Z
ZX1
ZX2
ZX300
ZX507

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back