SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #43,981 of 45,723
Perhaps @Sonywalkmanuser or @MrWalkman @nanaholic this is one of the things that has intrigued me for years since owning my first sony MP3 walkman back in 2005.

Why are they called Network walkman (NW)? At first didn't make much sense to me as they didn't connect to internet or Bluetooth. Nowadays with the advent of android ones makes some sense

Because when you transfer music from a computer to a flash memory based player with its own OS and not just a dumb storage device, it is in the most computer technical sense a network (it's a LAN - a local area network, and a LAN don't have to be wireless nor going to the internet to count) as you are connecting multiple "computing devices" together via a cable. This is why when the first flash memory based Walkman which uses a computer program to load/manage music into it, it is thus in a network/network capable and thus named as Network Walkman.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #43,982 of 45,723
Ok, now I understand, thanks for explaining (again) :)
I will get my zx507 this Friday, so I can play with the settings myself...

As usual, zx507 required 200hours per jack for burn-in. So do take this into consideration when evaluating the settings.

You should consider applying the tweaks in my signature. There's a ton of useful information in the ZX507 thread as well.

I don't want to sound like I am exaggerating things, but I do believe that the sound with Hi-res streaming On with DSEE HX AI On is a completely new kind of musical experience on headphones. It is really worth checking out. There's alot more musicial elements floating about in the 3D soundstage than what I have heard previously on the older firmware. Although this effect is highly dependent on source material, some songs exhibits really amazing surround but others don't show much.

If you listen to Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy music, you will no doubt be amazed by what this new Sony sound processing can do. Recommended track to experience the effect:
The Sight of Spira - Final Fantasy X Original Sound Track

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #43,983 of 45,723
As usual, zx507 required 200hours per jack for burn-in. So do take this into consideration when evaluating the settings.

You should consider applying the tweaks in my signature. There's a ton of useful information in the ZX507 thread as well.

I don't want to sound like I am exaggerating things, but I do believe that the sound with Hi-res streaming On with DSEE HX AI On is a completely new kind of musical experience on headphones. It is really worth checking out. There's alot more musicial elements floating about in the 3D soundstage than what I have heard previously on the older firmware. Although this effect is highly dependent on source material, some songs exhibits really amazing surround but others don't show much.

If you listen to Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy music, you will no doubt be amazed by what this new Sony sound processing can do. Recommended track to experience the effect:
I recommend this wonderful one as well: Final Fantasy Orchestral Album Battle Medley 1 through 14

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #43,984 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Would creating a mod to only add DSEE HX AI on top of each nw-wm1 stock firmware's be appealing to you?

That will be a 100% original Sony sound that doesn't - and maybe never would otherwise exist for the wm1 series.

In my humble opinion that would be de-facto firmware.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #43,985 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Would creating a mod to only add DSEE HX AI on top of each nw-wm1 stock firmware's be appealing to you?

That will be a 100% original Sony sound that doesn't - and maybe never would otherwise exist for the wm1 series.

In my humble opinion that would be de-facto firmware.
That's what CHAMELEON does.

2. CHAMELEON
Stock sound, with the possibility to switch the model between 1A and 1Z.

Features:
- switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #43,986 of 45,723
I would love to but dmp is 11 000 canadian $ not a given at all not ready for that much of expenses . I could try financing it but still its darn expensive and probably will cost me more then my new sony 5.1 home theater speakers with a new sony tv!

Hehe a secret that mr.Tiger ears keep low profile 😁😁😁

The thing is even after I play with dsp, dsee hx after some period of time I always come back to direct source. It has the purest unaltered sound.
Usually if the gear is all set right (cables, music files, headphones or iems) there is no need for dsp enhancements tweaks.

I saw that I play with dsp when the iem or headphones are low quality or it has stock cable instead of a quality one. Or low resolution recordings

Most of the time I am 100% using the direct source.

So true direct is the way. Though I do use about 3 clicks on the bass tone wheel, with one IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #43,987 of 45,723

The way you are describing it, it sounds exactly like the 1Z+ Mod from @MrWalkman on the 1A at least. The holographic sound is definitely what separates the + from the non + variant.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #43,988 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017

Have you decided on the ZX507 revisit?

I have been spending alot of time doing sound comparsion between:

No signal processing (safe mode, direct source mode on)

Very light signal processing (hi-res streaming off, direct source on)

Light signal processing (hi-res stream off, direct source off, DSP off)

Medium signal processing (hi-res stream off, DSEE HX AI on)

Heavy signal processing (hi-res stream On, Direct source off, dsp off)

Heaviest signal processing (hi-res streaming on, DSEE HX AI on)

I have done this comparsions using both my IER-M9 and 1AM2 all on balanced. Using a variety of music from DSD, Flac to AAC files.

In the end, I felt that the Heaviest Signal Processing won me over.

It is consistently more enjoyable across a variety of music. No signal processing places the importance on the recording quality of the source material to sound great. Heaviest signal processing is more forgiving and will sound great even with poorly mastered tracks.

Heaviest Signal Processing can flash out tiny details that you will otherwise miss in complex music passages as it presents the music in a 3D-like fashion which allows you to notice the background details that you will likely to miss in other processing modes.

I decided to buy one , but I got a problem. I am worried sony does alter the sound like it does for the wm1 players and I want the american version with U code, as if I buy one in canada or Japan import it will be either J or CA and I want U. I dont know if sony still practices this regions sound tunings but I am more then sure they are. So I am in search on how to get the american version right now.

I been reading all your posts on the zx507 thread and it sounds very interesting, I love the new finds you made and I am super interested in the features like setting the dap into safe mode and only use the sony music app as I dont stream anymore and redo the test see if I will experience any artifacts in sound as I did encounter in the first days of the dap with older firmware's!

The zx507 is more and more a very appealing little beauty I have to admit ! I know for a fact I loved the sound of the zx507 only the sound stage was my problem, and now you guys claim its fixed maybe it will be my new baby dap hah :)
I wish I could work out my dmp-z1 deal but life is life and if this the way it all turned out then be it that way, I will follow the wise rule of the wise old ones. What ever happens its for the best!

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #43,989 of 45,723
0790EEA9-313C-4A3D-A757-1B3FD66B3BB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #43,990 of 45,723
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #43,991 of 45,723
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #43,992 of 45,723
There is some physical difference between the Japanese ZX507 units and the rest of the world. Japanese units don't have a backplate with the UL/CE certification silk printed on it.

You can force flash other region firmware by placing the firmware update file in the root directory of the internal storage. The only rule is you cannot downgrade firmware versions. Not sure if there is any sound difference in regions as I never done any region rolling myself.

The only thing you must avoid is the EU version which currently has no way to remove the EU volume cap.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #43,993 of 45,723
There is some physical difference between the Japanese ZX507 units and the rest of the world. Japanese units don't have a backplate with the UL/CE certification silk printed on it.

You can force flash other region firmware by placing the firmware update file in the root directory of the internal storage. The only rule is you cannot downgrade firmware versions. Not sure if there is any sound difference in regions as I never done any region rolling myself.

The only thing you must avoid is the EU version which currently has no way to remove the EU volume cap.

Are you saying I can region roll the zx-507? can you tell me how. if thats the case I could buy it of amazon canada and try to roll it to U

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #43,995 of 45,723
So out of curiousity I decided to buy a cheap portable amplifier (jazz r7.0) did not expect too much of it considering it only cost me $30. But when I tried it (I only had the oriolus finschi with spinfits and btg audio starlight and the wf1000xm3 with me) well... For the first time in years I unconsciously said wow at how much the finschi improved. It wasn't boxy anymore, no more warm tinge in the upper mids (it was bordering bright) overall it changed from warm to neutral bright (some sibilance on not well recorded aka pop songs could be heard). Decided to load up one of my favorite albums, Live at Eddie's Attic by The Civil Wars. My eyes widened took a deep breath and said wow! It sounded like speakers (I am not a new kid in the realms of iems and amps as Ive tried a couple of pricey portable amps but was never impressed, maybe due to prior to my current line up ive only had all ba iems) decided to load the next song and there i sat in my chair bobbing my head in complete awe as i experienced this otherworldly experience I was literally transported to the pub that these guys were performing! Heart racing breathing fastened as I impatiently wait for the next word to be uttered by the 2 singers. I took a breather for a minute or two as I was getting really hyped (in all my years in this hobby this is the first time this has happened, even demoing the likes of the utopia) gathered a bit of my thoughts and this is what i can describe the feeling as; Ill skip the usual talk about being transported to the place and instead focus on the vocal performance, it had a metal overtone (a good thing with this song since it was a live performance), it was smooth, energetic, very much open, and the most astonishing part, it was as if i could smell a faint bit of metal (similar to how the metal mesh on a microphone would smell). It was absolutely aural bliss.

Sadly it wasnt like this for every song afterwards as it would get too bright on some.

I am not selling you guys anything but instead, I would just like to share this experience of mine considering it did this much for an entry level iem I am very much excited to try this with my other iem and my hp.

Wm1a > loaded with > 1z1a/z+ > J region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back