SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #42,211 of 45,723
Scanning better album pictures, adding sort tags has taken all most a month and I am just 25% through albumsort, but after the next 75% I am done. I also did some organizing of the physical CDs in archive boxes too.

Getting ready to bulk delete a bunch of tags I don’t need like one that shows CD lossless as source and another stating dbPowerAmp was the program. That is true for 100% of my files, so I don’t need them.
That is why when you see the screen capture I did I deleted all the tags that aren't used or seen. Every byte saved helps.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #42,212 of 45,723
That is why when you see the screen capture I did I deleted all the tags that aren't used or seen. Every byte saved helps.

Truth. MP3TAG is now saving all my files after I bulk deleted tags I never use. I will setup DbPowerAmp to only add the tags I am keeping for future burns.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #42,213 of 45,723
i don't know/understand what you are talking about

i just make huge folders by genre ( ambient , prog house , p-funk etc) if a genre is too big i may split it in 2 (funk A-K , funk L-Z) and just drop the albums in alphabetical order

marvin gaye - album title
sly stone - album title
parliament - album title

etc

so when i am in the mood for say marvin gaye , i go to the genre folder , find where Marvin gaye albums are and just play whichever i want

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #42,214 of 45,723
My stuff are sorted by artists or albums.

I did fix all the tagings and album art via mp3tag...
But those albums art that still dont work I do them via the folder where the album tracks are located...

Its pretty easy and I dont really about the year release or genre type

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #42,216 of 45,723
All of my unnecessary tags have been removed from all music files. I left the replay gain tags. Any reason to keep them? Everything is going nicely for use with the WM1Z or LPGT.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #42,217 of 45,723
Hi Guys

I'm extremely late to the party here, so my apologies for this post! But purpose of post is that I'm looking for a little advice and assistance from this excellent community. (Flattery gets you everywhere :relaxed: - but I do mean it!)

I sold my 1A a little while after getting the 1Z. Looks like that may have been a mistake given the improvements now on offer? Anyway, I love the stock 1Z and feel it's definitely step up from stock 1A, and regardless, I am where I am. I've had the 1Z for around 8 weeks now and I'm still only on the hour count of 260 (I don't get as much time with it as I'd like! - and still burning in?).

Anyway, my questions, to those that have the 1Z: What custom firmware are you guys using? Is anyone still using stock firmware? Are the new custom firmwares completely safe, and can I go back to stock firmware without any hassle? And can someone point me in the right direction of where to to find the firmware and some brief layman's terms of how to install as what I have skim read, it all appears a little confusing to me with switcher, region etc. Oh, and just to note, in case this makes a difference, my 1Z was purchased within the EU so had the volume cap - although I took that straight off by changing the region to J.

Thanks in advance!
Well it's all depends. 1Z still have more amount of bass and thicker sound in lower-mid. 1Z is more about warmth, intimate and emotion type of sound. Some people will like it and some don't. Also it's all depends on your gears.

1A is more about fun, exciting, and realistic type of sound IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #42,218 of 45,723
"Just look at SA Z1" (looks insane) dough i wonder about power output? 50w per channel maybe 80?

I can hear a difference now that you guys say between SD and Internal memory i hear sound its capped in the higher frecuencies is that correct on SD?
What SD card you try?

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #42,220 of 45,723
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #42,223 of 45,723
how do i know if its slc or MLC, thanks for the info you detected it affect sound

SLC cards carry an industrial grade label. They are way more expensive than consumer cards that are MLC. The vast majority of the cards will be MLC instead of SLC.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #42,224 of 45,723
https://thememoryguy.com/memory-sightings-at-isscc/#more-2213

NAND Flash
There were three NAND flash papers, one each from Toshiba, Samsung, and Western Digital Corp. (WDC).

Toshiba 96-layer 1Tb QLC NANDToshiba described a 96-layer QLC 1.33 terabit chip. Like the chip that Toshiba presented last year, this one uses CUA, which Toshiba calls “Circuit Under Array” although Micron, who originated the technology, says that CUA stands for “CMOS Under Array.” Toshiba improved the margins between the cells by extending the gate threshold ranges below zero, a move that forced them to re-think the sense amplifiers. They also implemented a newer, faster, lower-error way to program the cells. The developers made a number of speed-related enhancements, including the option of allowing pages to be configured as SLC, TLC, or QLC. Toshiba compared this chip to a similar chip later presented by its partner Western Digital, pointing out that this one had a higher density despite its lower layer count (96 vs. 128 layers) largely due to its use of QLC rather than the TLC approach used by the chip that WDC presented. The WDC chip was designed for speed.

Samsung 512Gb >110-layer TLC NANDSamsung presented a 512Gb TLC part that had “more than 110 layers” but the company’s management forbade the speaker from disclosing the actual layer count. This is something peculiar to Samsung, who originated the concept of not disclosing process geometries, choosing instead to use the term “20nm-class” to denote its 27nm planar NAND. Samsung has been working on thinning the chip’s layers to avoid having to adopt the string stacking approach already embraced by its competition. This might have prevented Samsung from implementing a full 128 layers in this chip, which would explain the company’s reluctance to specify its layer count. The key focus of this design was to operate at the very high speeds required by the Toggle 4.0 interface, and it did a good job of that, with a 1.2Gb/s I/O bandwidth, 83MB/s program throughput, and a 45 microsecond read time. This was achieved through a number of optimizations ranging from improved bitline precharge techniques, minimization of wordline capacitive coupling, and new Toggle Mode interface techniques, to even modifying erase sequences to compensate for the fact that the string column’s diameter shrinks from the top of the column to its bottom. Interestingly, this chip has the least efficient layout of any that The Memory Guy has seen to date, with only 13 million columns per square millimeter, half that of the most dense chips.

Western Digital presented a different chip than its partner Toshiba’s at a 512Gb density using 128 layers and TLC. The speaker made it a point to repeatedly tell the audience that the design had the highest layer count ever announced, which worked to Samsung’s disadvantage since Samsung chose not to reveal its layer count. The chip was divided into four planes to double performance, an approach that would have penalized the die area by about 15% had the designers not used the CUA approach mentioned above. By slipping the logic beneath the array the available area for the logic becomes enormous and the die area penalty for moving to four planes was reduced to less than 1%. When power planes and the bitlines are also allowed to move under the array the chip can run at higher speeds thanks to reduced capacitance and resistance. As a result, WDC achieved a 132MB/s program throughput or about 50% more than that of the Samsung chip. The WDC chip also uses a technique the company calls “multi-chip Peak Power Management” or mPPM to manage power in a multi-die stack and improve write times by as much as 47%, and accesses data using a smaller 4kB page (vs. the industry standard 16kB) to limit peak currents.

Seems like Western Digital/Sandisk is ahead of Samsung when it comes to Nand memory design.

This guy's website is worth exploring if you are into memory tech.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #42,225 of 45,723
SLC cards carry an industrial grade label. They are way more expensive than consumer cards that are MLC. The vast majority of the cards will be MLC instead of SLC.
SLC is limited to 32gb cards.
This is the highest capacity I have found. 3D SLC:
https://www.mouser.sg/ProductDetail/Greenliant/GLS93MP032G1-I-BZ801?qs=mAH9sUMRCts5UemHZi5qEw==

As times passes, it will be harder to source MLC microsd as the whole nand industry is shifted to 3D TLC/QLC production. And also as technology improves(lithography wise), QLC based microsd card could offer lower current draw vs MLC and SLC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back