SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #42,181 of 45,723
I am spending a lot of time populating artistsort and albumsort so artist appear as I want them and albums appear in release order rather than alphabetical.

You have the option release by year. In there you see all albums sorted by sub folders for each year. It goes from recent to oldest.
But it sorts them by folders and you only see the album art once you open the sub folder.

Same years are grouped together

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #42,182 of 45,723
You have the option release by year. In there you see all albums sorted by sub folders for each year. It goes from recent to oldest.
But it sorts them by folders and you only see the album art once you open the sub folder.

Same years are grouped together

But does years drill down to artist or does it just list all of your albums?

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #42,183 of 45,723
But does years drill down to artist or does it just list all of your albums?

It shows albums in that section not by artists

You know there is probably a way how to by pass this!

In mp3tag you can put years in the beginning of each album and artist names that way it will sort it the way you want it!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #42,184 of 45,723
Bummer. I thought that might have been one of the advantages over the LPGT, but I guess not.

You can chose to sort/group by Album artist or Song/Track artist

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #42,185 of 45,723
It doesn’t give any indication but it doesn’t use the albumsort tag and similar tags. I found out accidentally when I first had my player and some things were showing in a strange order
You are incorrect, the album sort tag is used.

In the player under Settings -> Playback Settings -> Artist List Display I have Album Artist.

Then when I view an artist all of the albums are listed ordered by Sort Album tag. The albums are listed alphabetically based on the tag or if there is no tag. In my case I start the Sort Album with a number to force the order

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #42,186 of 45,723

In the player under Settings -> Playback Settings -> Artist List Display I have Album Artist.

Then when I view an artist all of the albums are listed ordered by Sort Album tag. The albums are listed alphabetically based on the tag or if there is no tag. In my case I start the Sort Album with a number to force the order

Yes but they are sorted and displayed by the Album tag not by the SortAlbum tag that Sony does not recognise. Likewise they sort and display based on AlbumArtist or SongArtist tags and not SortArtist tag

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #42,187 of 45,723

Yes but they are sorted and displayed by the Album tag not by the SortAlbum tag that Sony does not recognise. Likewise they sort and display based on AlbumArtist or SongArtist tags and not SortArtist tag

Sounds like a picture is the only way to show that artistsort and albumsort does work.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #42,188 of 45,723
No they are not sorted that way under Artist view.

For the Eagles I have the albums On the Border and Hotel California. So for each here is screen captures of each:

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.59 PM.png

When I look at the Eagles under Artist view, On the Border is shown before Hotel California. If it wasn't using that or before I added the numbers to Sort Album, Hotel California would be listed before On the Border.

How do we do a screen capture again on the Sony? I'll take one to show you it in action.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #42,189 of 45,723
No they are not sorted that way under Artist view.

For the Eagles I have the albums On the Border and Hotel California. So for each here is screen captures of each:

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.46.59 PM.png

When I look at the Eagles under Artist view, On the Border is shown before Hotel California. If it wasn't using that or before I added the numbers to Sort Album, Hotel California would be listed before On the Border.

How do we do a screen capture again on the Sony? I'll take one to show you it in action.

Interesting. Does this also apply if you go Genre then Artist (I’ve never used the Artist grouping) ?

I’ve before tried to do this exactly to get the albums listed in order of release rather than alphabetically but never succeeded

And does it display the Album tag and not the SortAlbum tag ?

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #42,190 of 45,723
Interesting. Does this also apply if you go Genre then Artist (I’ve never used the Artist grouping) ?

I’ve before tried to do this exactly to get the albums listed in order of release rather than alphabetically but never succeeded

And does it display the Album tag and not the SortAlbum tag ?
I came up with this system to get albums listed by order of release. I Previously used the year in the Sort Album but that adds complexity for classic rock artists who would release more than one album a year. So I started using the number prefix which I also use in folder name.

My scheme is:

1xx - Albums by release. 101 first album, 102 second, etc. If I only have 1 album by that artist I use the order it was released instead of 1.
2xx - Live Albums by release.
3xx - Compilation AKA Greatest Hits albums by release
4xx - Soundtrack albums by release (rarely used)

This way when I look at an artist I'll see all the normal albums, then their live albums and finally greatest hits. I did this as I like to listed to an artists starting with their earliest album to the last.

Yes it works when looking at Artists in a Genre. It always just displays the Album tag which is great.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #42,191 of 45,723
I came up with this system to get albums listed by order of release. I Previously used the year in the Sort Album but that adds complexity for classic rock artists who would release more than one album a year. So I started using the number prefix which I also use in folder name.

My scheme is:

1xx - Albums by release. 101 first album, 102 second, etc. If I only have 1 album by that artist I use the order it was released instead of 1.

This way when I look at an artist I'll see all the normal albums, then their live albums and finally greatest hits. I did this as I like to listed to an artists starting with their earliest album to the last.

Yes it works when looking at Artists in a Genre. It always just displays the Album tag which is great.

This is exactly what I want as well and never got to work.

Is the tag called “Sort Album” and not “SortAlbum” ?

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #42,192 of 45,723

My scheme is:

I am using the same system, except:

4xx is Christmas
5xx is Soundtracks

I count the Christmas album releases separate from normal album releases. So I treat album numbering as follows.:

1. Album 1 - 101
2. Album 2 - 102
3. Christmas album 1 - 401
4. Album 3 - 103
5. Christmas album 2 - 402

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #42,195 of 45,723
This is exactly what I want as well and never got to work.

Is the tag called “Sort Album” and not “SortAlbum” ?
What I did is a screen capture of what is seen in Kid3.

The official tag name is "AlbumSortOrder". I verified this in Metadatics where it is showing that name for that field when I show all tags.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 2.23.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back