SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #42,226 of 45,723
I will try Sandisk Ultra this weekend to see if I can hear anything different.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #42,227 of 45,723
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #42,228 of 45,723
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #42,236 of 45,723
Guys, this may sound absurd to some here, I don't know what I have been missing out all these years but just only today I have discovered a new sub-genre of music, its called Symphonic Metal. Just want to share this amazing genre of music that is both relaxing and entertaining to listen at the same time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_metal#:~:text=Symphonic metal is a subgenre,orchestra, or just keyboard orchestration.

Recommended DSP for this genre:
Vinyl Processor: Arm Resonance
DC Phase Linearizer: Type A Low
DSEE HX AI ON(if available)

These DSP will accentuate the bass notes to be more hard hitting, Cymbals to sound more crispy and with more airy soundstage.

Also I would think a dynamic/hybrid driver iem, dynamic driver headphone or planar magnetic headphone will sound awesome on this genre. I think the Sony MDR-1AM2 sound signature is perfectly suited to this genre.

Music example:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #42,238 of 45,723
My albums are sorted by composer and all the albums for that composer go there. I have various composers too.

My rags are
Artist - in this one a soloist go there, multiple persons get separated by comma or the name of the ensemble. For the orchestral works I put the name of the orchestra & the conductor.
Album -the name of the album as it is shown in the booklet.
Title- the name of the work , for multiple movements inside same title I use long line or dot ec. String quartet ... : movement A - movement B
Genre - I use the periods f.e Baroqur, romanticism, medieval etc.
Release year the year of release of the album.
Track - usually automated for flac just the current track, for DSD, current track/track total
Disc number- dsme.meyhod as track number for flac just current disc/volume in the series. For DSD current disc/vol / total discs
Fot discs that are Pachlbel often works vol 1 SACD 1... Pachelbel organ works vol. 1 SACD 5, disc would be for SACD 1 1/5, sacd 2 2/5 and so on.. then on pachelbel organ works col. 2 which has two SACD is goes 1/2 and 2/2.
Album Art- baseline jpg scan or from cover from download ar a resolution of 950x950
Composer- the composer, when various in an album, then I use various composers and in title zwischen klammern the composer name e.g Firrworks music, Ouverture (Georg Friderich Habdel) or [Dietrich Buxtehude] Suite BuxWV 243...
FLAC ONLY
DISCTOTAL
TRACKTOTAL

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #42,239 of 45,723
Lol, I already tried 4 x Panasonic Oscons on the balanced out of a 1Z and the FT on a 1A while I was testing different cap combos
Ok, so If you think that those caps are not making the difference, then I would love to hear what is your take on this?
MrWalkman's firmware makes it clear that the difference is no longer the firmware.
To me, Hardware is the only explanation.
Anyways, you have installed the best hardware upgrade units, and with the Audionote, so would be great if you could give some impressions.

Just try CerBerus fw from
@Whitigir
. To properly install is a bit tricky. In the end, I love how it sounds on modded 1A. Vocals and Instruments is so realistic and organic. Next level treble textures and lower level details when compared to Solis. Gigantic depth and width. Bass is very large and packed with tons of energy and Sub-bass is better than anything else I try so far. If lower-mid is a bit fuller, This might be the best tune fw so far. Well at least for me LOL!
:) :thumbsup::beerchug:
One positive impression ..
I tried Whitigir Cerberus FW, and GearofWar also created a somewhat flawed Cerberus FW
Two positive impressions...
. I'm using Z tuning btw
Ok so we have a few posters who managed to get an improvement, but whitiger tried on original method , then robertP tried on stock, then hamhamhamsta tried on 1z tunnings, and I believe GearofWar tried on some different install procedure, which Mrwalkman proved the file does not load, so something else must be going on, and everyone on this tunnig is all over the place with different base firmware.
Apologies for being so forward or rude by pointing this out.
The primary problem is that has been difficult to load by all, and we don't know what base it should be on.

So I would hope that @whitiger can resolve this by just creating a tunnig to work on the latest firmwares.

Both WM1A/Z+ and CHAMELEON firmware’s offer:
- Stock external tuning
- Model switching (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- DSEE HX AI (as in DMP-Z1)
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

WM1A/Z+ has different base sound, and improved battery life, while CHAMELEON has the stock base sound.

I already clarified this even more in the main post.
Thanks for clearing this up!

Well it's all depends. 1Z still have more amount of bass and thicker sound in lower-mid. 1Z is more about warmth, intimate and emotion type of sound. Some people will like it and some don't. Also it's all depends on your gears.

1A is more about fun, exciting, and realistic type of sound IMHO.
Sorry I have to disagree here, about the 1z.
It is definitely NOT more intimate, but instead more immersive.
Maybe that's a description you would agree?

Yes, I can agree that you can be swayed by the more exciting sound of the 1a with the MrWalkman's WM1A/z + firmware), BUT ..
Don't be fooled.
The 1z is the more accurate and realistic player.

It has more depth, more holography, more liquidity and ease of presentation.
It is a different presentation although with similar signature when the 1a has the chameleon 1z firmware.

So to me, the 1a actually is the more intimate, because it has a more forward and lively presentation.
Actually I think neither one is "intimate".
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back