SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #42,152 of 45,723
Cerberus fw very does push the hardware limit. Sounds sooo good on microSD but not so much on internal storage.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #42,153 of 45,723
Cerberus fw very does push the hardware limit. Sounds sooo good on microSD but not so much on internal storage.
Music sounds different on sd card compared to internal storage? I’m using a sandisk extreme pro card and don’t hear any difference between music on the card and internal storage. In fact i should think the music on internal storage should sound better if anything. But i don’t hear any difference.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #42,154 of 45,723
That doesn’t make sense, I thought internal storage provide the best sound?

SD card does sound a little different, worse than internal storage per my experience.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #42,155 of 45,723
Music sounds different on sd card compared to internal storage? I’m using a sandisk extreme pro card and don’t hear any difference between music on the card and internal storage. In fact i should think the music on internal storage should sound better if anything. But i don’t hear any difference.
I bought extreme pro too but it was fake. As far as sound quality go, the fake memory sounds even worse than internal storage. Will try to get the real one soon.
Samsung Pro Endurance micro sd card is very good. It add thickness to the sound overall. Bass is very punchy. Vocals is so clear, natural, anology, and good weight. It adds depth, air, darker background, very nice separation and soundstage is very large.
|
|
|

That doesn’t make sense, I thought internal storage provide the best sound?

SD card does sound a little different, worse than internal storage per my experience.
For normal memory yes, you might not hear much different. Audio grade memory card is way to go. But then again if you gear highly resolved enough :)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #42,156 of 45,723
New products to be announced on 6th August, seems bizzare to do that before IFA. Probably not a walkman.

20200731_075307.jpg

Perhaps just the new WH-1000XM4

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2020/07/sony-japan-finally-teases-wh-1000xm4.html?m=1

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #42,157 of 45,723
I bought extreme pro too but it was fake. As far as sound quality go, the fake memory sounds even worse than internal storage. Will try to get the real one soon.

|
|
|

For normal memory yes, you might not hear much different. Audio grade memory card is way to go. But then again if you gear highly resolved enough :)
ah, a fake card, now that makes sense. Mine is authentic purchased directly from sandisk malaysia. but i still think that internal memory should be theoretically better as it's wired onto the mainboard and doesn't require additional processing.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #42,158 of 45,723
I heard that in Sony Japan headquarter is showing off their smart electric cars recently but then they keep saying that it's only a concept car. It looks ready for production thou.

Oh, hear you go. I found it

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #42,159 of 45,723
Questions....:nerd:

a question for @Whitigir ....:point_right: with surgical knowledge of the WM1s.... to what lengths did the SonSig team go to in terms of the quality of "internals"?

Especially with a view towards high-end rivals like A&K's copper-cats - and future Sony HW updates.

The S-Master is still far more efficient (battery life) ... but in terms of future new 'signature' models - apart from just milking the market....could they really go much further with something like the WM1Z?

With really distinguishable results? :L3000: - given that hearing deteriorates inevitably with age - usually in direct inverse relation to the ability to buy them - and with @MrWalkman exploits allowing us all to 'boldly go' on board the WM1s....

@WAmadeusM

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #42,160 of 45,723
I was concerned that my 1Tb Extreme Pro card might be fake for the price I paid, have to say I'm super happy with it, sustained write speed of about 70Mb/s (not in the player obviously)

I can't say I have sensitive enough hearing to detect the difference between player and card, but I might have to copy some sample tracks on to both just to see (well, hear)!

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #42,162 of 45,723
all I can say is that Sony engineering is the real stuff. The WM1A is priced ways too cheap for the build and performances quality. I have said this many times before. The 1Z May seem expensive, but it is also cheap for the price, especially that Copper and Goldplated chassis

How will Sony go about with the next future Walkmans ? I do not know. All I know is that Covid is wrecking HAVOC across the world, and many new products being released just can’t get enough sales or attentions, for example the Xperia MKii.

The only right move at this moment is to release Play Station 5 and new games, because people isolate in the house, they want to keep busy, and who doesn’t love video games lol!!!

Anyways, i think it is easy to guess what Sony May do for the next Walkman. Just look at SA Z1

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #42,163 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #42,164 of 45,723
Guys after a very long decision and tests. I came to a very brave and hard decision! It does make me say with hard feeling but I decided to officially sale the wm1z I had and keep the wm1a!

I know I know it is very difficult to understand but that is what I came to as a result after long run and tests.

I let my self decide by a decision in this way. I was using bothe daps for 2.5 weeks maybe a bit more. And I couldnt decide by just a/b which I keep. So I made this bet!

The dap that my hands and ears will grab the most and the one that I will have more listen time is the one I keeping!

And sadly wm1a won so ai am letting go my beloved wm1z please the one who takes it take very good care of it! It need a kind father or mother!

My link for the wm1z is in my signature if you are interested 🥰
:feet: :herb: 🐯

What happened to the Romi 1Z?

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #42,165 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back