SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #41,281 of 45,723
Best to state which DAP and Switcher 3.0 WM1A/Z or WM1A/Z+

I also recommend just using the new firmwares instead of using the previous ones with the blue switcher.

This is just because the new firmwares makes this so much easier, and also to not confuse people when we're gonna talk about Switcher 3.0, as the switcher is now in the firmware itself.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #41,283 of 45,723
There has been an update.

Instead of using the model switcher (the blue thing), you can now switch the model
from inside the "Settings" of the DAP.

screenshot_20200719_211310197.png screenshot_20200719_211320593.png screenshot_20200719_211329154.png

How to do this?
To do this, go to "Settings", then "Device Settings", then "Reset/Format", and instead
of "Factory Reset" we will now have "Switch Device Model".

Question, If I perform a factory reset will that remove my "listening hours"?

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #41,284 of 45,723
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #41,285 of 45,723
Question, If I perform a factory reset will that remove my "listening hours"?

Yes, Factory reset will always remove listening hours. However, it the menu it now says "Switch Device Model", and not "Factory Reset". This means that this firmware will not do factory reset anymore, so no worries about the hours.

If you want to do Factory reset, you will have to install Back to stock, after making sure you switched back to your original model.

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #41,287 of 45,723
Switching from A+ to Z+ without flashing from the PC will be a killer-feature:L3000:

Yep, but you should still install the firmware again after switching the model, in order to make sure that the Z sound signature will be fully in use.

The in-firmware switcher basically allows us to switch the model without having to use other tools.

So always switch, flash firmware again.

I added something about switching in the Frequently asked questions in the main post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2738#post-15747959

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #41,288 of 45,723
I hate to be contrarian but does anyone else find the firmware mod a bit sibilant/strong/sharp as a result of it being using firmware version 3.02? Again I apologize for criticizing the firmware so early in it's inception but I just wanted to note my experience compared to my previous firmware which was 3.01 without any mods. I remember experiencing this issue before when switching from 3.00/3.01 to 3.02, where at first the sound signature sounded better with more clarity and resolve and less perceived bass "bloating", but after a while I realized a lot of my music with guitars, cymbals, trumpets etc would sound to a point incredibly sharp and at times overbearing, to a point where I just had to switch back to 3.01.

After doing that I've been on 3.01 for several weeks without feeling any need to change the firmware or the tuning. Now, back to this firmware mod, while to me it does sound excellent, incredibly expanded sound stage and certain micro details are seemingly brought to the forefront in detail, but yet again I am experiencing this sharpness in treble when it comes to high energy music with high pitch guitar solos, keyboard synthesizers, cymbal crashes etc.... Has anyone else experienced this? Anyway my experience is all coming from listening to this firmware mod with my Periodic Audio Be earphones, so it just very well be the synergy of these earphones with the player and firmware mod.
yes i agree on 1Z+ its more aparent than on 1Z using on 1A i come from 3.00 wich require heavy eq 1Z it sbetter in this regard and also its region dependant you go J that will fade since J its better for that also you can go A+ insteaz of Z+ copy? i find it less sharp

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #41,289 of 45,723
Yep, but you should still install the firmware again after switching the model, in order to make sure that the Z sound signature will be fully in use.

The in-firmware switcher basically allows us to switch the model without having to use other tools.

So always switch, flash firmware again.

I added something about switching in the Frequently asked questions in the main post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2738#post-15747959
I understand the right sequence.
I mean maybe someday you will find a way how to flash the "full" firmware from the player itself after switching the model...
Sent you a beer. Appreciate what you are doing for all of us.:beerchug:

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #41,290 of 45,723
I mean maybe someday you will find a way how to flash the "full" firmware from the player itself after switching the model...

That would be awesome indeed, yes :)

Sent you a beer. Appreciate what you are doing for all of us.:beerchug:

Really appreciate it, man! Cheers :beers:

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #41,291 of 45,723
Just spotted at home a hidden Ad of a 1Z, dated 1982.. :)

6934891c57f114c1cb9338e88d9e07cdcb495390.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #41,292 of 45,723
I hate to be contrarian but does anyone else find the firmware mod a bit sibilant/strong/sharp as a result of it being using firmware version 3.02? Again I apologize for criticizing the firmware so early in it's inception but I just wanted to note my experience compared to my previous firmware which was 3.01 without any mods. I remember experiencing this issue before when switching from 3.00/3.01 to 3.02, where at first the sound signature sounded better with more clarity and resolve and less perceived bass "bloating", but after a while I realized a lot of my music with guitars, cymbals, trumpets etc would sound to a point incredibly sharp and at times overbearing, to a point where I just had to switch back to 3.01.

After doing that I've been on 3.01 for several weeks without feeling any need to change the firmware or the tuning. Now, back to this firmware mod, while to me it does sound excellent, incredibly expanded sound stage and certain micro details are seemingly brought to the forefront in detail, but yet again I am experiencing this sharpness in treble when it comes to high energy music with high pitch guitar solos, keyboard synthesizers, cymbal crashes etc.... Has anyone else experienced this? Anyway my experience is all coming from listening to this firmware mod with my Periodic Audio Be earphones, so it just very well be the synergy of these earphones with the player and firmware mod.
Sounds like the earphones are the problem. Try out some other cans if you can to notice less harshness.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #41,294 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Sir congrats!! You are the true Wm1 wizard!!!
Was amazed listening to "Puscifer - Conditions on Parole" this afternoon while on Wm1A+
Was at the beach while listening to that album, but sometimes i´ve felt i was traveling through the hyperspace!!!
And the Wizard keeps surprising us with easier ways to suit or tastes and changing the new firmwares.....
This gentleman deserves more than 1000 beers!!!!

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #41,295 of 45,723
if you appreciate well recorded and mastered progressive rock music from a group of awesome musicians I would suggest this

screenshot_20200718_073319371.png

Guthrie Govan (guitar), Bryan Beller (bass) and Marco Minnemann (drums)
All masters of their craft
Yeah, I agree with the recommendation. It's a very impressive band, with awesome musicians. Govan is a truly gifted guitar player, who mixes shredding with tasteful melodies in a masterful way. Not trying to go off topic, though. So I'll leave it there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back