SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #41,296 of 45,723
I hate to be contrarian but does anyone else find the firmware mod a bit sibilant/strong/sharp as a result of it being using firmware version 3.02?
I found that when I switched to J region things got a bit out of hand. Treble was a tad too much for my liking. Went to TW it was better but lost the note thickness that I oh so desired when I first installed the fw. In the end i went back to the region I first was when I installed the fw, E2.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #41,297 of 45,723
1595209529288.png

one of the true pop masterpieces of the 80s , master Bryan Ferry from an era when music mattered and musicians were true titans

West German Target CD (famous for its sonic fidelity), on 1Z+ you can almost see BF singing next to you

No drug like music....

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #41,298 of 45,723
Sounds like the earphones are the problem. Try out some other cans if you can to notice less harshness.
If you check hundreds of pages back in the thread, there was a chart comparing between the stock firmware
The 3.02 has a boosted treble and bass while 3.01 is more overall balance. I was always on my stock 3.01 for many years, even after trying 3.02 and only switching to 3.02 after the first firmware mod released

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #41,299 of 45,723
Trying the IER-Z1R for a day or two with this new brew? Ahhh....maybe longer?
0A5D5324-43C8-4E1A-8BB8-BDA5D2480B34.jpeg

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #41,300 of 45,723
Listening again to both 1A and 1Z using the switcher, I’m starting to remember again.

Even using WM1A/Z+, 1A version sounds 2D. Not saying it’s bad, none at all, it’s very very good technically. Everything sounds so forward in your face, it dynamic, it loud. The + version increase the clarity by a lot/max. Some songs may have sound coming from far, maybe a mile away(exaggeration btw); in regular 1A/1Z version, if I remember correctly, after a certain distance, things become fuzzy; not on +version. Everything is crystal clear. The good thing for 1A, is it’s very very good technically, very suitable for certain type of music. The bad thing for me personally, it’s emotionless. I can’t for the life of me feel the music moving my emotions and soul. This maybe just my personal experience.

Now for 1Z+ version, it’s leap above. Why? It’s not flat, its very 3D, there’s landscape to the music. It’s not like 1A, flat, there’s peak and valley to the songs. Bass is wicked, but resonance and echoes are also really good. It is very emotional, it wring emotions out of you, depending on the songs you listen to. There’s different emphasis and different speed on different notes. It sounds grand, notes goes up and down, not flat.

So is 1Z+ is better than 1A+ version? I think it’s just 2 different representation of the same music. 1A+ is honest, direct, forceful, in your face, there’s little dressing, it is what it is. As for 1Z+, it’s colorful, emotional, subtle, there’s light and shadow playing in the background. There’s no right or wrong. It’s like ordering ramen, 1A+ is basic ramen, with soy sauce soup and few basic ingredients while 1Z+ is the same ramen, with additional poached egg, chasu/roast pork, and many different garnishes. Both are ramen, both are good, depends on your preference at the time.

I think we are very lucky indeed. What a great time to own 1A/1Z. Keep striving to improve and see how much potential can be wrung out of 1A/1Z. 😃

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #41,301 of 45,723
Listening again to both 1A and 1Z using the switcher, I’m starting to remember again.

Even using WM1A/Z+, 1A version sounds 2D. Not saying it’s bad, none at all, it’s very very good technically. Everything sounds so forward in your face, it dynamic, it loud. The + version increase the clarity by a lot/max. Some songs may have sound coming from far, maybe a mile away(exaggeration btw); in regular 1A/1Z version, if I remember correctly, after a certain distance, things become fuzzy; not on +version. Everything is crystal clear. The good thing for 1A, is it’s very very good technically, very suitable for certain type of music. The bad thing for me personally, it’s emotionless. I can’t for the life of me feel the music moving my emotions and soul. This maybe just my personal experience.

Now for 1Z+ version, it’s leap above. Why? It’s not flat, its very 3D, there’s landscape to the music. It’s not like 1A, flat, there’s peak and valley to the songs. Bass is wicked, but resonance and echoes is really good. It is very emotional, it wring emotions out of you, depending on the songs you listen to. There’s different emphasis on different notes. It sounds grand, notes goes up and down, not flat.

So is 1A+ is better than 1Z+ version? I think it’s just 2 different representation of the same music. 1A+ is honest, direct, forceful, there’s little dressing, it is what it is. As for 1Z+, it’s colorful, emotional, subtle, there’s light and shadow playing in the background. There’s no right or wrong. It’s like ordering ramen, 1A+ is basic ramen, with soy sauce soup and few basic ingredients while 1Z+ is the same ramen, with additional poached egg, chasu/roast pork, and many different garnishes. Both are ramen, both are good, depends on your preference at the time. I think we are very lucky indeed. What a great time to own 1A/1Z. Keep striving to improve and see how much potential can be wrung out of 1A/1Z. 😃

This is great!

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #41,302 of 45,723

Now for 1Z+ version, it’s leap above. Why? It’s not flat, its very 3D, there’s landscape to the music. It’s not like 1A, flat, there’s peak and valley to the songs. Bass is wicked, but resonance and echoes are also really good. It is very emotional, it wring emotions out of you, depending on the songs you listen to. There’s different emphasis and different speed on different notes. It sounds grand, notes goes up and down, not flat.

So is 1A+ is better than 1Z+ version? I think it’s just 2 different representation of the same music. 1A+ is honest, direct, forceful, there’s little dressing, it is what it is. As for 1Z+, it’s colorful, emotional, subtle, there’s light and shadow playing in the background. There’s no right or wrong. It’s like ordering ramen, 1A+ is basic ramen, with soy sauce soup and few basic ingredients while 1Z+ is the same ramen, with additional poached egg, chasu/roast pork, and many different garnishes. Both are ramen, both are good, depends on your preference at the time.

I think we are very lucky indeed. What a great time to own 1A/1Z. Keep striving to improve and see how much potential can be wrung out of 1A/1Z. 😃
yes, currently need someone with A50/55

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #41,303 of 45,723
20200720_125533.jpg
Bought it for the looks, was not expecting much of it. But through your modified fw, @MrWalkman These are now one of my favorites! So musical, grand, images unlike anything near its price point at $50. It won't win any awards for its clarity but for its staging and imaging prowess, its a whole different story! Here's a 🍻 good sir!

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #41,304 of 45,723
20200720_125533.jpgBought it for the looks, was not expecting much of it. But through your modified fw, @MrWalkman These are now one of my favorites! So musical, grand, images unlike anything near its price point at $50. It won't win any awards for its clarity but for its staging and imaging prowess, its a whole different story! Here's a 🍻 good sir!

Really appreciate the feedback, and cheers 🍻 :)

Also, that album sounds great, yes!

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #41,305 of 45,723
Jul 20, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #41,306 of 45,723
20200720_125533.jpgBought it for the looks, was not expecting much of it. But through your modified fw, @MrWalkman These are now one of my favorites! So musical, grand, images unlike anything near its price point at $50. It won't win any awards for its clarity but for its staging and imaging prowess, its a whole different story! Here's a 🍻 good sir!
One of the best binaural albums I have. Music and sound top notch!

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #41,308 of 45,723
Hi there,

i need some help.

I just buy a 2nd WM1a and its current firmware is 3.02 from DMP-Z1, now i want to restore to stock firmware. I download stock firmware on sony website and install. However, i just recieved a message
"Connect the Target Device to a computer with a USB cable" all the time.

please help me to solve this problem.

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #41,309 of 45,723
Hi there,

i need some help.

I just buy a 2nd WM1a and its current firmware is 3.02 from DMP-Z1, now i want to restore to stock firmware. I download stock firmware on sony website and install. However, i just recieved a message

It looks like an issue with the usb cable or your USB port. You sure you downloaded the original Sony firmware from Sony website? Try using another USB port if your have.

Jul 20, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #41,310 of 45,723
Hi there,

i need some help.

If the model name says “DMP-Z1”, ie the model number has been swapped, not just the sound tuning, then you’ll need a model switcher tool to switch it to 1A, then the Sony update will work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back