SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #41,266 of 45,723
There has been an update.

Instead of using the model switcher (the blue thing), you can now switch the model
from inside the "Settings" of the DAP.

screenshot_20200719_211310197.png
screenshot_20200719_211320593.png
screenshot_20200719_211329154.png

How to do this?
To do this, go to "Settings", then "Device Settings", then "Reset/Format", and instead
of "Factory Reset" we will now have "Switch Device Model". If you have the device switched
to 1A, the function will switch it to 1Z. Also, if you have the device switched to 1Z, the function
will switch it to 1A. Pretty simple! The process takes only about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the
player will restart. After the restart, you should reinstall the firmware mod, in order to fully apply
the new model's sound signature.

- How do I know the change worked?

It will work for sure. But in order to see the current model of the device, just go to "Settings"
and then to "Certificates", or to "Settings" and "Unit information".

- What happens if I switch the model, but then I don't install the firmware again?
Nothing wrong will happen. The sound might not be the same as if installing the firmware again though.
Feel free to experiment, but the recommendation is that you should install the firmware again after
switching the model.

- How to revert back to stock?
For reverting back to stock, the same thing apply as before - first, make sure you switch to the
original model of your player, and then install the "WM1 Back to Stock" firmware. From there on,
you can install any other firmware you like.

- Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing the mods?
No, you do not.

- If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or
to 1Z and then I can install the new firmware?

No, you can just go ahead and install the new firmware.

Link to firmware in the main post: CLICK

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #41,268 of 45,723

Instead of using the model switcher (the blue thing), you can now switch the model

screenshot_20200719_211310197.png screenshot_20200719_211320593.png screenshot_20200719_211329154.png

How to do this?
To do this, go to "Settings", then "Device Settings", then "Reset/Format", and instead
of "Factory Reset" we will now have "Switch Device Model". If you have the device switched
to 1A, the function will switch it to 1Z. Also, if you have the device switched to 1Z, the function
will switch it to 1A. Pretty simple! The process takes only about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the
player will restart. After the restart, you should reinstall the firmware mod.

How do I know the change worked?
It will work for sure. But in order to see the current model of the device, just go to "Settings"

How to revert back to stock?
For reverting back to stock, the same thing apply as before - first, make sure you switch to the
original model of your player, and then install the "WM1 Back to Stock" firmware. From there on,

Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing the mods?
No, you do not.

If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or

Link to the updated firmware: CLICK

Absolutely amazing work 👍 I very much appreciate all the hours/days/weeks you have put into this.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #41,269 of 45,723
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #41,270 of 45,723
I'm staying with WM1A/Z+ on WM1A
Just tried the same - flashed WM1A/Z+ over 3.0 on 1A without switching - sounds nice!!
And what I did want -vocals now "stand out".
Thank you MrWalkman et al. for all your work, time and efforts!! Kudos! :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #41,271 of 45,723

screenshot_20200719_211310197.png screenshot_20200719_211320593.png screenshot_20200719_211329154.png

How to do this?
player will restart. After the restart, you should reinstall the firmware mod.

How do I know the change worked?

How to revert back to stock?

Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing the mods?
No, you do not.

If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or

Link to the updated firmware: CLICK

Wow! Thank you very much. !!!

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #41,272 of 45,723
I hate to be contrarian but does anyone else find the firmware mod a bit sibilant/strong/sharp as a result of it being using firmware version 3.02? Again I apologize for criticizing the firmware so early in it's inception but I just wanted to note my experience compared to my previous firmware which was 3.01 without any mods. I remember experiencing this issue before when switching from 3.00/3.01 to 3.02, where at first the sound signature sounded better with more clarity and resolve and less perceived bass "bloating", but after a while I realized a lot of my music with guitars, cymbals, trumpets etc would sound to a point incredibly sharp and at times overbearing, to a point where I just had to switch back to 3.01.

After doing that I've been on 3.01 for several weeks without feeling any need to change the firmware or the tuning. Now, back to this firmware mod, while to me it does sound excellent, incredibly expanded sound stage and certain micro details are seemingly brought to the forefront in detail, but yet again I am experiencing this sharpness in treble when it comes to high energy music with high pitch guitar solos, keyboard synthesizers, cymbal crashes etc.... Has anyone else experienced this? Anyway my experience is all coming from listening to this firmware mod with my Periodic Audio Be earphones, so it just very well be the synergy of these earphones with the player and firmware mod.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #41,273 of 45,723
Anyway my experience is all coming from listening to this firmware mod with my Periodic Audio Be earphones, so it just very well be the synergy of these earphones with the player and firmware mod.

I was thinking of that, I didn't experience what you describe with WM1A/Z+ and player switched to 1Z.

I was thinking of doing the same mod for 3.00 and 3.01 as well, so stay tuned.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #41,274 of 45,723
I was thinking of that, I didn't experience what you describe with WM1A/Z+ and player switched to 1Z.

I was thinking of doing the same mod for 3.00 and 3.01 as well, so stay tuned.

Thank you for the reply and considering using 3.0/3.0.1 as an foundation for your mods! I feel all alone in my sentiment about the sharpness of the treble, but whenever I use 3.02, even if I apply sound tuning, that sharpness is always there somehow lol.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #41,275 of 45,723
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #41,276 of 45,723
I hate to be contrarian but does anyone else find the firmware mod a bit sibilant/strong/sharp as a result of it being using firmware version 3.02? Again I apologize for criticizing the firmware so early in it's inception but I just wanted to note my experience compared to my previous firmware which was 3.01 without any mods. I remember experiencing this issue before when switching from 3.00/3.01 to 3.02, where at first the sound signature sounded better with more clarity and resolve and less perceived bass "bloating", but after a while I realized a lot of my music with guitars, cymbals, trumpets etc would sound to a point incredibly sharp and at times overbearing, to a point where I just had to switch back to 3.01.

After doing that I've been on 3.01 for several weeks without feeling any need to change the firmware or the tuning. Now, back to this firmware mod, while to me it does sound excellent, incredibly expanded sound stage and certain micro details are seemingly brought to the forefront in detail, but yet again I am experiencing this sharpness in treble when it comes to high energy music with high pitch guitar solos, keyboard synthesizers, cymbal crashes etc.... Has anyone else experienced this? Anyway my experience is all coming from listening to this firmware mod with my Periodic Audio Be earphones, so it just very well be the synergy of these earphones with the player and firmware mod.
Which region 3.02? My stock WM1A was E and it wasn't harsh but quite bright - I switched to J 3.02 and it was more to my tastes with more bass presence.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #41,277 of 45,723
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #41,278 of 45,723
Cold and Flowing

Q-6
Music usually sounds better when alcohol is involved; not that I personally know something about it, hahaha 😂

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #41,279 of 45,723
Which region 3.02? My stock WM1A was E and it wasn't harsh but quite bright - I switched to J 3.02 and it was more to my tastes with more bass presence.

I am using region MX3. I notice that there isn't such a "boost" in treble on 3.01 so I don't know why it was done with 3.02.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #41,280 of 45,723

Best to state which DAP and Switcher 3.0 WM1A/Z or WM1A/Z+. In your case I'd recommend spending some time with stock Sony 3.02 on region J then comment and as ever headgear will make for a significant differnce. Coming from stock 3.01 differnce will be significant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back